Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey has joined our beloved at The Bridge

Default Re: Whiskey has joined our beloved at The Bridge

Yep same here. When we still walked, Whiskey knew every house on our route that held a dog. And would give just the slightest squeaks as we walked by, if nobody was around. Now I see the buddies walking by our place and I kind of hide inside. Not that I don't want to see them but I feel lost without my sidekick. So I stay in. Don't even have my patio set up. I don't know how to act around here with out him. Weird I know but it's true. When we moved here he was only 2, and HE was the reason I met so many people. I'm boring, but he was this beautiful,friendly, funny boy who went out of his way to make friends with every human in his path, dragging me behind him. I just miss him, and I always will.

Hi everyone,
    Been trying to keep up on here when I can. It's coming up on 2 months since we said goodbye to our sweet boy. Someday's it seems like so so long ago that I hugged him & other days it seems like yesterday.I'll never really get over it, I'll just learn to live with it, there's no choice. I wanted to explain what happened at the end, though. He was holding his own, very fussy with food but still pushing onward, every day coming to work with me and still happy. My daughter had a 4 day break and was beyond happy to be home with her "baby brother". She called me that he seemed to be having trouble getting up but after a bit he was ok. It happened again a few more times that day, but they said he was sleeping and seemed better(denial). Unfortunately, I had to work late that night. When I got home I let him out & he was walking like he was drunk and as he came towards me I noticed his his head was tilted at an odd angle. When he came in he awkwardly got in his bed and looked right into my eyes and I knew, I just knew. So we all slept downstairs with him and at 5 am I texted my other daughter so she could make the 2 hour drive home. We noticed his one eyebrow was twitching and also his eyes moving rapidly from side to side, along with the head tilt. I called the vet at 8 & she said she felt it was time. She said he had symptoms of Vestibular disorder, which can be treatable, but most likely it was the tumor metastasized to the brain.These neurological symptoms probably gave him double vision & nausea too. We agreed to bring him in after she closed at 430 so we could have privacy & take our time. That day, he ate a bit of pulled pork(always a fave), popcorn and vanilla ice cream, we took videos & loved him all day. He was such a trooper, his girlfriend Molly came over to say goodbye & he picked up her leash & was walking around(unsteadily) with it in his mouth. Molly's family was devastated, but they also agreed that it was time, he was different. Right before we left, my husband took him out one last time, and he grabbed his tennis ball on the way & dropped it in the yard where it still is to this day. When we left for the vet, he put his head on top of the back seat and watched the house til we turned. At the vet, they had a quilt on the floor for us, we all got on it and after a minute, in true Whiskey fashion, he got off the quilt & laid on the tile! He always always loved tile-Cushings or not! A horrible day, but he kept us smiling through our tears til the end, bless him.
    After -I researched Old Dog Vestibular Syndrome,, I was devastated to learn that a dog can overcome it in a few days. I felt terrible that I didn't know this sooner, and just wondered if we should have waited. My family & friends helped me get over these feelings, because we knew he had a very large tumor and probably it had been there awhile, and he was failing, slowly but surely. Deep down I know there were times where he felt really crappy. I've come to terms with it(kind of), but the look he gave me the night before I will never forget. And now, looking back I guess I know it was time, especially as we go through pictures.
    Anyway I just needed to get all this out, so I'm sorry for the long post--and thanks so much for being here as always. We are leaving for Europe on Sunday-We land in Munich and take the train through Austria & the Brenner Pass into Trentino, Italy where our family waits! I've never done this train trip before & it was on my great big to-do List , so we're going for it. After we come back my oldest is moving to Florida. A year of big changes so far ..

Awww, Annie....it was the right time. You got to spend a good day with him and he with the family and I'm sure he was very happy. The look he gave you says it all.

They know...I remember how Lena looked at me the last night we went to the ER. She knew, but I didn't pick up on it. I wish I had...I never would have left her that night.

You and Whiskey were blessed to have been together at the end. Waiting until they are in pain, or so far out of it, is so much worse. He knew that you all loved him and he loved you...that's all that matters.

Have a wonderful trip!

Love,
    Joan
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I think Joan has said things perfectly, Annie. Just to add a few words more, I had a heart-to-heart talk with my own beloved vet a couple of months after my husband and I released our Cushpup, Barkis. I was having my own doubts as to whether the time had been "right." He said that of course he has witnessed so many people struggling with that decision, including himself. He said that, in honesty, he had probably waited too long with his own dogs, even being a vet. And I think, very wisely, he said that after witnessing what he has witnessed, if an error is to be made, than to err with "too early" is often more compassionate than waiting until "too late." For a dog with a terminal condition, that little bit of extra time is not a gift if it ultimately means greater suffering and loss at the end for an animal who depends upon our loving judgement. I felt a little better after hearing that, although to this day I sometimes have my moments of regret and questions.

From what you've told us, I believe Whiskey left this world while he was still a proud dog who was fully aware of how deeply he was loved and cherished. I honestly don't think any person or dog could ask for a better send-off to the eternal.

Sending many hugs and hopes for a great trip, too!
    Marianne

Thank you so much, For always being here, for everyone not just me- dogs and people too!
    I know Whiskey is watching over us. I put a few new pics in his album. I had gotten charms made for my girls last Christmas. I sent pictures of Whiskey's nose and paw and they put it on a charm with his name. They of course love them and wear them always. I'm so glad I did it while he was still with us. Anyway my daughter went to FL to get an apartment, furniture etc and as they were driving my husband saw the nose print reflected on the steering Wheel! Right after that, they saw a rainbow (it wasn't raining-maybe they are more common in FL?). Then at the apt rental office(it's pet friendly) there was a jar of Whiskeys favorite treats on the counter! Even my husband the cynic said that Whiskey was telling her he will always be with her, no matter how far from home she is.
    Last edited by Whiskey's Mom; 07-08-2017 at 08:03 AM.

They're great pictures, Annie...he was such a little cutie pie!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Awww. I love the messages from Whiskey for your daughter. That's precious and beautiful.

I've had moments of regret for all the decisions I have made for the animals in my life. But I agree with the sentiment from Marianne's vet, and prefer not to wait "too long" so they do not suffer so much. It is always a tough decision and anyone who loves as much and as deeply as we do our babies is going to struggle with it and wonder if they made the right choice at the time.

You made the right choice. It was time.

This goes for everyone reading this....including me.

No matter who you are, or the reasons that brought you to that point. It was the right choice.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

The picture are just lovely. whiskey and his sisters. I know you all have a bond that isn't broken by life and death. Its in the heart and it lasts forever and ever.

We all have those moments. I had them after molly passed. I knew it was time but that doesn't make it any easier.

It does seem that Whiskey was sending his own message on the trip to Florida and at the apartment. Good boy.

Well drat if I'm not all teary again. It doesn't take much on this forum to get the klenex out. LOL
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi everyone!
    So sorry I've been away for so long, I'm kind of ashamed to say that it was honestly too painful to come on here. I never thought I'd be that way, but it happened. I have so much catching up to do, and I want to be here to support the special and wonderful people who supported me through my struggles with our poor Whiskey, and offer help to the new people if I can. I was pretty busy most of the summer, with work, our trip to Italy and my daughter's big move to Florida. After all that, I think my grief actually got worse. I cried in the car, the shower, you name it-I barely went outside all summer. I did some dog sitting in my home, but I had no desire to get another dog. Then in september, a friend sent me a picture of a Golden at a rescue nearby. By the time I contacted them, she was adopted, but it got me thinking and browsing their website more often. We thought to get a Golden puppy, but my dearest friend is actively involved in rescue(has 5) and I know there are so many awesome pets out there in need of a loving home. As the weather turned cooler, I realized I could not handle a dreary winter without a dog, and there was a Golden mix available for adoption & we went to see her. She was quite a handful, and a family with young children also wanted her, so we said she should go home with them-my wish for them is for that pup to bring as much joy to their family as Whiskey did to ours, growing up with the human kids! :-) There were alot of dogs there, all of them looking at us like "pick me-pick me!". So we met a few others, and we found out that they got 15 dogs in that week, all Hurricane Harvey orphans that came there via a rescue in WV! A volunteer suggested we meet a certain dog that she thought would be perfect for us & we ended up bringing him home!! We named him Tex, he is a Mountain Cur mix with pointy ears, possibly mixed with Cattle dog (?), and he is around 3 years old. Such a good boy, we just love him!!!! He adjusted very well, just a few minor bumps in the road, but considering what he's been through, he's doing great. I'll make him an album, and I will also make an Italy album to share the beauty of my Trentino with all of you.
    Love and hugs to all of you and your sweet pups!
    Annie and Tex... And Whiskey too

Annie! Welcome back.. and a great big hello to Tex! How wonderful you found a rescue who needed you, at just the right time.
    I can't wait to see your Italy pictures - or Tex!
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha