Thread: Cami: return of adrenal tumor/s; trilostane?

Default Cami: return of adrenal tumor/s; trilostane?

Hi all ~ glad to find this forum.

Cami had an adrenal tumor removed in 2013. She returned to her healthy pre-Cushings self. September 2015 we learned the cancer returned. She's 13 years old now, and we were advised to give her palliative care as needed. The vet gave her about a year.

She has extreme thirst, elevated hunger, panting, and low potassium (we supplement). She's developed separation anxiety, which presents in digging in the yard when we're gone. Fortunately, she has 24-hour yard access through a doggie door. Her spirits seem good. She's her fun, silly self. But some days I can tell by her eyes that she doesn't feel well. (Oh, and she has the worst gas!)

When she had Cushing's with the first tumor, she progressed to dark skin, fur loss, and pot-belly before being accurately diagnosed. She's not there yet.

Our vet suggested trilostane when symptoms become too pronounced not to treat.

I'd like to know what to expect from trilostane. How to know when the time is right to begin. Estimated cost. Will it make her symptoms go away? All of them? Will there be side effects? Any experience-based info would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Cami: return of adrenal tumor/s; trilostane?

Hi and welcome to you and Cami!

I have only a moment to post but wanted to greet you and your girl, I'm sure others will be by soon to share their support, advice and experiences.

Many of our members are having success treating their dog with Trilostane, and in the meantime here is a link to info regarding Trilostane:http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185

Hugs, Lori

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Dang I am so sorry that the adrenal tumor has come back. Adrenal tumors can be harder to regulate than pituitary tumors but it is worth a try and we have had others use trilostane with adrenal tumors, when they aren't removable.

First you want to start at no more than 1mg/1lb. You can use a compounded trilostane, from a pharmacy like Diamondbacks for instance, to keep cost down. I'm not sure how much your dog weighs but compounded pricing is dependent upon dosage. Someone said they paid like $18.50 a month for 11mg.

It can certainly help with the symptoms. As to whether all of them go away or not, that isn't a given in any dog with medication, you just don't know if they all will or only some.

Side effects seem to be small as long as you don't give over what it takes to control cortisol. Starting at a larger dose than needed for instance, can cause problems. Every dog of course can have a reaction to any medication and that is why it is just safer to start at the 1mg/1lb ratio as now recommended by the manufacturer.

I think if symptoms have already started then it would be worth it to go ahead and start.

Is the tumor growing? and has it invaded the vena cava? Much will depend on what the tumor itself does. If it remains small and not growing, then the medication can help her to have a good time remaining however long that might be.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thank you both. The links have been helpful, and I've got a call in to the vet about starting her on Trilostane.

I don't know about spreading to the vena cava. It's on her liver, and possibly her spleen (they couldn't get a conclusive sample). She's developed a heart murmur. Being 12, the vet said it may be age.

This forum has been very helpful. Cami's a love, and I hope we can help her to feel better. Thank you!