Thread: UC Davis California trial to diagnose Cushing's

Default UC Davis California trial to diagnose Cushing's

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/clinic...ecies/dogs.cfm

UC Davis is having a clinical trial for the diagnosing of Cushing's in dogs.
    If you think your dog might have Cushing's and live anywhere near University of California in Davis, this is a good option.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Default Re: UC Davis California trial to diagnose Cushing's

Hi, I'm new to this forum and work in the city of Davis. My dog Penny just had her urine cortisol level and a basic senior blood panel with liver enzymes tested yesterday and we have not begun the ACTH blood tests. Thank you so much for posting this! It sounds like she might be a good candidate. I'll give them a call tomorrow. She's an easy going Chihuahua who is a rescue I've had for three years now. She came to me very sick with demodectic mange and very pregnant. We thought her thin, hairless skin was a longstanding byproduct of the mange and her pedulous belly was from being a backyard breeder mama for her whole life , but it's looking like it's Cushing's. This poor dog just can't catch a break! She's always been in some state of medical care so I haven't been able to adopt her out. This trial would be a Godsend to help with some of her diagnostic expenses. I'm pretty much her forever mom now, and her current veterinarian here in Roseville, California would be thrilled to confer with UC Davis about her case. Thank you again. I'm overjoyed to have found this forum. I'll post more. pics of her and introduce her to the forum in another thread. tomorrow.
    Last edited by Penny's Mom; 01-28-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Let us know what they tell you and how it goes.

Welcome to the forum.

the photobucket photo isn't loading for some reason. (i do have a photobucket account, so maybe just a server time out)

I'm sure she is adorable though and that getting her sorted out will work wonders!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thanks for posting this -- I think I might try to do this with Leo.

Hi Mikaela!

Unfortunately, in order to be eligible for this clinical trial, a dog cannot already have undergone any Cushing's treatment. Since Leo has already been taking Vetoryl, I'm afraid he would not be a candidate.

Marianne

Ah, I guess that makes sense. Thanks.

So Penny had all her testing done by the staff at UC Davis. Her Cortisol level was 35. Abdominal ultrasound shows her adrenal glands are bilaterally, uniformly enlarged. Her liver is enlarged. She has every single physical sign and symptom of Cushing's except depression. She is a happy dog.

Again, thank you so much for posting this thread about the study. It saved me about $1200 of testing, and it literally saved me from having to put her down. The jury is still out on her long term prognosis, but here's where it stands:

My local Vet (I am 30 miles one way from Davis) is prescribing Penny with 5mg of Vetoryl 2X a day. She has been on the med for a month.

I am buying the meds through Entirely Pets Pharmacy, mail order, based in Union City, CA. It is costing me, on sale, $31.99 for a 30 day supply of 5mg. So, roughly $64.00 a month.

If you buy in bulk from that pharmacy, they will give you some $$ off, plus free shipping over $39. I just purchased 5 boxes for $151.00. Great discount. Will treat her through June, 2016, and then we will reassess.

Sorry to be a bean counter with this disease, but I have 6 of my own Chihuahuas that have been a part of my family for many years. Penny is a rescue that has already cost me $1500 since I pulled her from the street 3 years ago. I can guarantee I am the only person on the planet that cares about this little dog.

She is starting to grow some hair on the very top of her back. She still has every symptom, just not as severe. She doesn't make our house smell like a sweaty locker room anymore. Now she just smells like a woman with a yeast infection. Oh joy.

Here she is with two of her house mates...

I wanted to say thank you to the forum mods for maintaining this site. I was able to get my dog, Cooper, into this study and he has his first appointment tomorrow.

We are already pretty sure he has Cushings, but we were at the point of getting the Ultrasound and begining the ATCH tests done. By going with this study, we will save at least a thousand dollars and possibly more depending on the cost of the medication through UC Davis. Any money we are able to save will help us to afford the medication and make it easier to afford any future costs that could arise.

For those that are interested, it does cost $145 for the initial exam to find out if your dog is a candidate and you will pay for any medication that is needed (Vetoryl is the medication they will use).

Thank you again for helping me to find this information.

Edit: We got our dog on Trilostane and he lost his pot belly and got his energy back for over a year. But, the weight loss never stopped, his hair never grew back and he eventually lost the ability to hold down any food. We had to put him down a few weeks ago after he lost the ability to stand and couldn't keep down any food or water. I am glad we were able to let him enjoy another year of love and fun. He will be missed.
    Last edited by Cooperton; 09-11-2017 at 01:24 PM.

I'm hoping they are still conducting this trial at UC Davis as I only lve about an hour from there. It's still listed on the website so I emailed to inquire and hope to hear back soon.

My Boxer Charlotte is showing signs of Cushings. The first vet we went to didn't think it was likely but we had new blood work run by a different vet, along with abdominal xrays, and her liver is enlarged and liver enzymes are high. We are still waiting on results to rule out thyroid issues but if those come back normal then I think we should move forward with testing for Cushings. The problem is we have already spend $1000 on tests and we are running out of money. I'm hoping we can get her into this trial but I thought I'd ask those of you who have been through it what was required to have your dog accepted?