Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Leo - Cavalier diagnosed January 2016

Default Re: Leo - Cavalier diagnosed January 2016

Is the increased drinking/urinating all day or does it seem that they rebound in the evening?

I would also have a complete kidney profile work up as that too can change in a matter of months. Bun, Creatinine values, etc. Just make sure that is still okay and yes diabetes can come on suddenly.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

There seems to be a new problem... within the past 2 weeks or so Leo appears to have developed calcinosis cutis. Nothing is erupted... but there are hard white bumps all along his spine. They don't seem to bother him at all, and his hair doesn't appear to be falling out there, but I'm worried they might erupt and then I'll have a very bad situation on my hands.

I've made an appointment with Dr. Bruyette who I've heard is an expert... but not for another week and a half. I'm concerned it might even get worse between now and then.

I've read through some threads on calcinosis cutis, but not really sure if it's curable. Anyone?

I've also read that Lysodren is better for dogs with calcinosis cutis, but he's been on trilostane for almost 2 months... it's not like I can just switch easily, right?

So frustrated!

Well if it is cc (calcinosis cutis) then they usually do come up and out. They are hard calcium deposits and yes, once cortisol is controlled and the skin and hair follicles go through their cycles (this can take months) then as long as the cortisol is kept low enough, hopefully no new ones or very few will develop.

We have seen on here that to get rid of and prevent new formations, a post cortisol of under 5.0ug is normally best.

Yes, Dr. Bruyette is considered one of the experts in cushings. We often recommend people who are in his area to go to him.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

It's definitely calcinosis cutis.

It started with the hard bumps under Leo's skin.

Now some of it has turned black and scabbed over in some places... it's hard to see because it's all under his fur, but when I dig through I can see the scabs separating form the skin. Does this mean it might be healing? It hasn't bled or oozed, and doesn't seem to bother him (although he's a bit lethargic, so I'm guessing he's not feeling great).

My main question -- is the scabbing over indicative that the cc might be going through the heeling process? I'm not picking at them at all... just letting them be. I suspect he'll lose hair when they fall off... but not sure.

I've looked through the posts on cc and found useful info, but again, not sure if the scabbing means it's worsened, or if it's healing.

Any insight?