Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lena, Teacup Poodle w/ adrenal tumor - Lena is now an angel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lena, Teacup Poodle w/ adrenal tumor - Lena is now an angel

My teacup poodle, Lena was just diagnosed Dec. 7. She is only 6lbs. Has all the classic symptoms which snuck up on us as she is going to be 15 in March and we attributed them all to her age. She started on 10mg of Vetoryl and it seemed to work within a few days, but the symptoms are all returning. We increased to 20mg and now it is up to 30. Testing again this coming weekend. I am heartbroken! She has been my baby since the first day I saw her. She has an adrenal tumor, which is inoperable. Does anyone have any suggestions on diet?

Default Re: Lena, Teacup Poodle w/ adrenal tumor - Vetoryl

Hello Joan, and welcome to you and little Lena. I have only a moment to post, but I wanted you to know that I've moved your post in order to create a thread that is your very own. This way, it will be much easier for our members to reply to you directly.

We're very glad you've found us!
    Marianne

Thank you, Marianne...I wasn't sure where to go. I am crying all the time and just want to hear from others who might help me get through this.

Hi Joan, Welcome to you and Lena.

30 mg. is a boatload of Vetoryl for a 6 lb. baby. Please post the results of all of her ACTH tests. I am concerned about such a high dosage.

Thanks,
    Kathy

Oh, God....now I'm nervous! The vet said it was okay to go that high. She's only been on 30 since 1/21. I just called them and asked them to fax me the test results. How do I post them after I get them? I knew it...I thought it was too high!
    Last edited by Joan2517; 01-26-2016 at 03:14 PM.

DO NOT PANIC JOAN!!!!! . BREATHE!!!!!! We just want to check a few things. Starting recommendations for Vetoryl is 1mg. per pound. Cortisol can (and often does continue to drop) the first 30 days of treatment. Lena has just been diagnosed. Her Vetoryl has already been raised twice. This is a red flag waving wildly to me. We ask a bunch of questions for clarification. TRY NOT TO PANIC!!!

Kathy

Default Re: Could really use some strength and support/ Calcinosis cutis

I am so nervous about her ACHT test today...dreading what the results will show. I am consumed by all of this! It's hard to concentrate on anything else. I'm a fixer, a problem solver, the one everyone goes to! And I can't fix this for the dog who has been my heart for almost 15 years.

The others keep trying to distract me and I feel bad that they are worried. My big boy Gable, a rescue from a Georgia shelter, is my number 2 love and he follows me around and sits close by my side and watches. He is my guardian...I know they are all safe while I am at work and he loves Lena.

Hi Joan,

I have taken the liberty of moving your post about Lena's ACTH today to her thread from where it was posted on Abby's thread. This way, members can respond to you about Lena here, and about Abby on her thread. Thanks!

Let us know how it goes today and don't worry! Easy to say from where I sit, huh? But the ACTH is not that hard on most babies. Some will show some signs of elevated cortisol again after the test but this is not unusual so if you see that, don't panic.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: Could really use some strength and support/ Calcinosis cutis

Deep breaths. Whatever the results are, once you have them, then you can make decisions. It is all about knowledge when it comes to Cushing's. I don't know how anyone gets through it without learning a ton of stuff.
    You will be fine.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thank you, Sharlene and Leslie...she just took a long, and I mean long, walk around the backyard, navigating the snow like a real pro! And thinking clearly about where to step and working her way back. A few weeks ago, she would've been lost and I would have had to slide out there to get her! Some days are so good <3