Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to help you find the best price for prescriptions

Default to help you find the best price for prescriptions

I am not sure if this site is known here...I do not recall having seen it but that doesn't mean a thing of course But since I am a member of Vetpetpartners and there are quite a few veterinarians in that group, I saw them mention this site. They advise their clients to use an app called GoodRX ...to help them locate the lowest price for generic and brand. So I thought I would share that link with you all, just in case...

http://www.goodrx.com/

We all know how expensive drugs can be and if there's a way to pay less, well, that's always good news

Saskia

Default Re: to help you find the best price for prescriptions

Sas, I am SOOOOOOOOO glad you've posted this, because I meant to do something similiar but got distracted.

It is absolutely incredible to me, but here in the U.S., amazing drug savings can be obtained simply by Googling "Drug Discount Coupon." A number of sites will come up, including GoodRx and Drugs.com. To my astonishment, you can print off a coupon and take it in to a participating pharmacy (major drugstore and grocery store chains are usually included). You can see dramatic savings in both human and veterinary drug prices, most especially when dealing with generics. There is not as great a savings on brandname drugs, but it still can help. This is legitimate and not a scam. Apparently the pharmacies are willing to reduce their prices as part of these coupon networks in order to "capture" customers who will consistently directly buy medications from them as opposed to through an insurance submittal.

I found out about this earlier this month when I needed to refill Peg's phenobarb Rx. I about fainted when I found the price had jumped from about $80 for a 90-day supply to over $200. My grocery store pharmacist told me to go home and print off a coupon. I did, and then only had to pay $90 instead of $200. I was floored.

The coupons can only be used if you don't choose to apply your insurance coverage for drugs, or perhaps if the copay that's left over is excessive (I'm not sure about that). But my husband ended up using the same coupon for himself to buy his own Rx medication! The pharmacist compared what he'd pay if he used his insurance benefit vs. the coupon, and the coupon was a whole lot cheaper! So we told them not to process the med as an insurance claim.

Anyway, give it a try, folks! I'm telling my own vet about this the next time I'm in to see him. And for that matter, you can tell your human doctors.

That's indeed why one of the vets mentioned this site and why she advises clients to use the app....the price of the phenobarb that had risen enormously If you go to that site, they tell you where you can use coupons and have a button to print them... Funny that you too had just learned about this, Marianne, and glad you did with the recent increase in phenobarb prices

Sas

Thank you for the link. I entered one med that I get and it was $20 cheaper.

That's great, Barb. What my drugstore pharmacist suggested to me was to go ahead and print coupons from a couple different sites and let the pharmacist check the pricing for each. Different coupons will be cheaper for different drugs. Some of the coupon sites I found will even let you check pricing yourself. If you enter the drug and your zip code, they will list the price that different participating pharmacies in your area will charge in conjunction with their coupon. Amazing! I truly had no idea that this help was available.

I had been using Allivet because I found them to be the lowest for vetmedin and previcox, but they charge $54 for the vetmedin
    as compared to $34 by using this link. The first time I bought the vetmedin from the vet and it was over $80. Same amount and dosage. Just look at that mark up But I needed it so I paid for it at the time.

Thanks again. Every cent saved helps.

I don't have a cush pup now but do check in once in a while.
    Just lost my girl to bladder cancer in August after an 18 month fight and have senior boy with heart problems.

Good news is we adopted a 6 year old female Maltese and she is a sweet heart.

Just wanted to push this thread up again because I'm home from the grocery store pharmacy with Peg's new 90-day phenobarb Rx. Without the discount coupon, the drug would have cost $200. With the Drugs.com coupon, today it only cost $73!!!

People, seriously, you need to try one of these discount coupon programs even for yourself unless your drug benefit under your health insurance is great. If you have insurance but still have a large copay, ask the pharmacist to try pricing the drug through the coupon instead of your insurance -- the coupon may still be a big winner for you.

Is Vetoryl a prescription drug?
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hi Joan! Yes, Vetoryl is indeed a prescription drug. Sadly, though, I'm not sure whether any of these coupons will work, or be that helpful, with a brandname veterinary-use-only drug. With human drugs, by far the biggest saving is on generic equivalents. The benefit for us pet-owners is that there are many drugs that are prescribed both for humans and for animals, and these are the drugs for which these programs are most helpful. My Peg's phenobarb is an example, as would be various "human" blood pressure meds, antibiotics, etc. that our dogs also may take. So if your dog's Rx could be filled at a grocery store or "human" pharmacy, there's every chance that the coupon may help.

My approach at this point is that there is nothing to lose by trying. I keep a coupon in my purse all the time now, and if either my hudband, me, or one of the dogs has a drug prescribed, I ask the pharmacist to try running the coupon to see if it lowers the price.

P.S. I just checked pricing via the link in Saskia's first post in this thread, and the GoodRx program doesn't offer a coupon for Vetoryl, but it does provide one for Lysodren (the other Cushing's drug commonly used with dogs). So I'm assuming this is because Vetoryl is animal-only, whereas Lysodren is a human drug that is also prescribed for dogs.

Okay, thanks...but there are online places where I could get the Vetoryl for less once Lena's dose is constant, right? I thought I saw some in here somewhere. I've read so many threads, stories that I can never remember where I've seen something.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.