Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Penny has Cushings!!! — Sweet Penny is now free

Default Re: Penny has Cushings!!!

Many years ago I adopted a Great Dane who had been running free for a very long time. She was deaf and blind and no one could catch her! Not long after she came to live with me I found this long whitish "thing" in her poop and FREAKED! I carefully gathered the "thing" and took Dinah and her specimen to the vet. He donned gloves and mask then carefully started untwisting the "thing" she had passed. Turned out to be a whole microwave popcorn bag with unpopped kernels still inside!! It made me cry to think how hungry she had been all that time she was on the loose. But she was never hungry again!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Holy crap!!!!!!

OMG and a big WOW and a BLECH! There are no words. Penny, Penny, Penny LOL
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Oh yes, sometimes they will eat the strangest things. Our Andee loved chew toys. One year we got her some Xmas toy made of rubber, some squeaky thing I think. One day I noticed that the feet were gone. Didn't find any pieces anywhere. I thought she ate them, but wasn't sure. About two weeks later she started throwing up, and lo and behold, there were the feet, still intact. She must've chewed them off and swallowed them whole. And boy, did it smell. Can't believe they were in there the whole time and she never seemed bothered until the day they came back up!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Hi everyone, all of a sudden I look up and its been like 6 months since I was here last! Hard to believe how time flies. Penny is doing well, yet she continues to slow down. She's got some skin tags and she is really starting to show her age...she moves slower then ever. But she still can run at time and plays with the puppy sometimes. She really is the definition of content, its nice to see. Cushings wise, she is still asymptomatic. I cant help be be grateful that the only real impact this disease has had on us was financial.

The puppy has grown into a cute little ~9month old puppy. The accidents have stopped and now he's just a young dog who is a handful. And bradley, the muggle, continues to be the easiest dog in the world.

However, the big news in our life, and the reason I haven't been here is that my wife is pregnant. We just hit month 7 last week and now we are in the 3rd trimester. Hard to believe I am gonna be a dad! Thank god for sobriety and the dogs. Without them I would never be where we are. I am so glad that it looks like Penny will get to meet the baby before she decides its time to move on. I will try to get you all she pictures once the little one decides to show up. Were gonna be surprised by the sex, but were going with either Carson Nicholas or Sadie Karyn.

Until next time, thanks everyone for everything!!

Jeff

Oh Jeff! What wonderful news all around! Congratulations!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Oh my GOSH!!!! what fantastic news and how wonderful that Penny will get to meet the new little one. We're all so very happy for you. Life can truly be so wonderful!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Oh Jeff!!! Congratulations to you both!!! Can't wait to see pictures of the little one and those names are beautiful! It's so great that Penny is doing well....YYYAAA!!!!!

Well, I come with an update, and it's a sad one. Last night we sat with Penny at the Vet as she took her last breaths and left us. After 11 years as part of our family and a little over 4 years as a member of this forum, Penny let us know it was time and we walked with her to the end.

Over the past 12 months, penny really started to show her age. She was able to enjoy life but her years made her slow and unable to do many of the things she loved so much. Even something as simple as getting up in the morning was taking time and she would struggle to play. Her heart was there but her body just didn’t have it anymore.

The last two days she began to be unable to handle the stairs, wasn’t interested in eating and she had the look that she was ready. Yesterday morning she was shaking quite a bit with any movement and when we came home in the afternoon, she hadn’t improved. She was uncomfortable standing, sitting and even laying down. We all knew it was time and we took her to the vet a few hours later. Her exit was peaceful and I am so grateful that we allowed her to leave the world with a level of dignity and before the pain became too great.

Penny was an amazing dog who taught me so much about life and her final lesson was incredible. As I have shared before, Penny helped me get sober back in 2012 and in the end, she showed me once again that all matters is to live in the day and do the next right thing. Although I am sad, I am filled with a sense of gratitude that I was able to share my life with such an amazing dog.

I am beyond grateful to all of you on this forum. You were here for me at a time when I needed support and I will forever be grateful for this community. And since I don’t want to end on a sad note, we did indeed welcome our Daughter to the world on August of last year. She has changed everything for us and she got to spend more time with Penny than I ever imagined. I think there is no better photos to sum up our life then ones that shows both her Penny together.

Im not sure how to share photos, but here are a few of Sadie and Penny Together.

https://imgur.com/a/hsXywFM

Last edited by PennysDad; 12-17-2019 at 08:30 AM.