Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Penny has Cushings!!! — Sweet Penny is now free

Default Re: Penny has Cushings!!!

Wow, how adorable is he!!!! I want to just tickle him under his chin, he's so darn cute.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi everyone,

Another month, another $200 on Cushing's meds! However, I am still happy to say that is really the hardest part of this for Penny. She continues to do well. No symptoms and since we switched over the a grain free food, she really does look healthier. However, she still has the look of a tired old dog. We cherish every day with her. She is still not a huge fan of Otis, but they are all getting along quite well now.

Anyway, just so grateful to you all for being here. On Thursday I am going to be celebrating 5 years sober and Penny is directly responsible for that. I got her in 2009 when I was in the depths of my struggle. She was my anchor. I could never get in that much trouble because I had to get home to her. She was my life line. She was the first person I told that I had a drug problem and she was the first person I told that I was going to Rehab. In the early days of sobriety I cried to her more then anyone else. She was able to carry the burden for me without ever saying a word! My family openly talks about how Penny saved out family. In the years since, my sister has gotten sober and so has my mom. Including my wife, our family is able to celebrate 23 cumulative years of sobriety. And the reality is, it all started with penny. And my family makes no qualms about saying it. We have already decided that we are going to have a memorial bench to her in the mountains. It is really not a stretch to say that my entire family owes literally our lives to her.

She has such a special soul and she has turned my family back into a dog family. Now I have 3 and my parents have a dog again.

Thats it for this month, see you all around!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for updating us and I am so happy to hear that Penny is doing well. Your post did bring tears to my eyes, it is remarkable how these furry kids grab our hearts and can help us through the most difficult times. My deepest congratulations and admiration to the sobriety of you and your family.

What beautiful words. They do save us from ourselves, don't they. They listen, don't judge and love us no matter what. Glad that she is still doing well.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

That is an amazing and beautiful story, thank you for sharing!

Hugs Jeff and congratulations to you and your entire family for making the decision and following through and saving your lives. I think a bench in memory of Penny is such a wonderful idea and an awesome reminder of what she did for all of you.

So glad she continues to do well.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi , sorry to hear about Penny s cushing. can i ask u how expensive is the medicine?

Maryland but currently staying in Indiana

Jeff, you and Penny are truly inspirational. I hope that she loves her senior years as much as you love her. Best to you and your wonderful family~
    Skippy's Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Hi , sorry to hear about Penny s cushing. can i ask u how expensive is the medicine?
    We pay about $180/month for the medication for her!

So I have a quick funny/disgusting story!

2 weeks ago we went to the mountains with our best friends and their new baby. Penny decided it was going to be a good idea to eat one of the babies diapers. Well, Penny has eaten just about everything in her life. One time, she actually ate an entire tree! It was a sapling, but she was playing outside and when i checked in on her, she had literally eaten the entire thing down to a stump!

Anyway, Penny ate the diaper and I decided not to tell my wife how concerned I was. I kept and eye on her. She kept eating and drinking and going to the bathroom...so i figured she must of broken it up enough that it just passed thought...until a week later when she decided it was time to throw it up!!! My wife thought it was a tumor and had a melt down...turned out it was only the diaper. I had no idea things could stay in their stomach so long...or that anything on earth could possibly smell so incredibly bad!

Anyway,,,she may have cushings, she may be a special soul...but at the end of the day...she is still just a dumb dog!!! I'll get some updated pictures of all three dogs for you all soon.