Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Penny has Cushings!!! — Sweet Penny is now free

Default Penny has Cushings!!! — Sweet Penny is now free

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for having this site. Whoever had the forethought to set this up an maintain this site, I am sending you lots of love and gratitude.

About a month ago we took one of our dogs, Penny (~8 to 10 year old Pit Bull Mix), to the vet because of the inability for her to make it through the night without peeing! She also had, I would soon learn, many of the symptoms of Cushings: unexplained weight gain, panting, lots of H20 drinking etc...

Well, She has had the ACTH and the low does dexamethasone test and it was confirmed she has cushings...today I just picked up the medication (Vitoryl) and will be starting her on it tonight. She has gone up to 110+ lbs from a "normal" weight for her of around 90lbs.

So far, we have managed this by waking up in the middle of the night to take her out, providing lots or water and lots of love. That is getting old for all of us though.

The vet is starting us on 60mg 2x daily. WOW, this drug is expensive. It does seem as if you can get it online and I guess we are just going to be eating out a little bit less.

Any way, just wanted to come on here once I found this place so I can get support when needed and hopefully show the world the results or proper treatment of this disease!!!!

Love and gratitude to you all, I am more then open for feedback!!!!

Jeff

Default Re: Penny has Cushings!!!

MODERATOR NOTE: Your post has been manually approved so members can start replying to you. Please check your email, possibly your spam or junk folder, for a message from K9Cushing's to which you need to reply so your posts will not be delayed. Thanks and Welcome!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hello Jeff, and welcome to you and Penny! I apologize that nobody had the chance to write to you yesterday, and I doubly apologize because I am just now needing to head out my door so I cannot write more, myself.

But I want you to know we are very glad you've joined us, and I'll be back later on to write a proper reply.

Marianne

Default Penny has Cushings!!!

Thanks!! I was feeling a bit lonely, however this place does seem to have quite an active group.

I know that it seems people would like to know the tests results and I will happily get them when we go in for the next test in about 2 weeks. My vet seems to be very comfortable with this whole process and seems confident in how to treat and the possibility of good results with Trilostane and regular testing.

She seems that have a protocol for the tests that includes ACTH test and the occasionally blood work tests for electrolytes and maybe some other stuff. Honestly, I trust her and her experience/expertise.

As far as Penny: She got her second dose this morning. I guess the first hurdle of her having an acute allergic reaction has been passed. Of course, I am back to checking on her constantly and imagining that the medication has already taken effect. She did not seem to be huffing and puffing constantly last night, although in my head I know that the symptoms have not been fixed in the first 2 hours on the medication!

I am giving the med's on food and she is very receptive to just having the pills stuck to the back of her throat and down they go! She has always been a special dog, when we go to the vet for blood work, she sticks her leg out so that its easier for them!

Here is a picture of Penny and her best friend Bradley. (penny is on the left) The are both rescues, Penny I have had for 8 years and we got bradley about 2 years ago.

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to you and Penny! Hopefully you can set me straight here is Penny's Vetoryl dose 2 60 mg Vetoryl capsules given once a day for a total of 120 mg or is she getting 120 mg twice a day for a total of 240 mg?

And yes, we love details so if you could get her test results and post them here that would be great. With respect to the blood chemistry and complete blood count (CBC), you need only post the highs and lows and please include the normal reference ranges. Does Penny have any underlying illnesses, if so, what are they and medication is she taking for it?

Yep, Vetoryl has to be given with food to be properly absorbed, and I see that you are doing this, good job! Now, those ACTH stimulation tests coming up, these are performed to monitor her treatment and see where her cortisol is at. These ACTH stimulation tests have to be done 4-6 hours after Penny has had her Vetoryl, ok?

Vetoryl is expensive and some members do have their dog's dosage compounded which can save money, many of our members use Diamondback: http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/?gcl...FVIbgQodFFQFtw

I am also providing a link to our Resource Thread where you can find a wealth of info regarding Cushing's: http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Here is a link to info about Vetoryl/Trilostane: http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask them

Hugs, Lori

Thanks for the info! I will see if I can get all of the tests to put up here. And her dose is 60mg two times per day (120mg/24 hrs). We have only completed the first 30 hrs on the medication, but without a doubt her panting is less. Maybe it's just the energy that Katie and I are sending her!!!!

And other then the weight gain which seems to be a result of the cushings she is really healthy. Actually, in all the years I have had her, this is the first thing that has ever been wrong with her!! (Other then her broken tail tip from wagging it so much when she was bein rescued from Florida to where I got her in VT!!!!)

She went through a lot with me over the years, I got her in college, struggled with addiction and alcoholism and she has been my guardian angel as I have just celebrated 3 years sober!! It is not a stretch and I can quite literally say that she has saved my life several times in many different ways. In just so grateful that I am able to provode and afford the proper care for her as she enters her twilight years!!! I feel the lessons she has to teach me are not nearly over yet.

Thank you for being here, I can not tell you the comfort that Katie and I both have knowing that you are all here!

Jeff

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hey Jeff,
    I wanted to say that your Penny and her sidekick are so sweet - thanks for posting the photo.

Lori and Marianne have things started off so I will not repeat but keep us posted.

Terry

Thanks, I am going to try to keep this as a running update, so if anything seems good/bad/indifferent...maybe someone will be able to help.

Penny continues to be fine taking the medication. I know it has not been very long, but last night was the first night in months where penny did not come up to me in bed and nudge me for a middle of the night take out! When I woke up and it was 6:30AM, I could not believe my eyes! Then, to walk out of the bedroom and not see any pee, wow! Maybe it is a fluke, but its seems like the medicine has started to work very quickly.

It is also very clear that her panting has decreased. She was panting this morning after a 20 min walk, but that is very likely from being out of shape!!! It is amazing to be able to lay with her on the couch and not hear so much huffing and puffing.

I am going to look into the pharmacies that compound to see if it is more reasonable, however, $116 a month for the medication, which is about what it seems to be now does not seem completely unreasonable.

Wishing you all a nice friday...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Congratulations on your 3 years of sobriety, that is an awesome accomplishment!!!

Dechra, the makers of Vetoryl, do recommend a starting dose of 1mg per pound of a dog's weight, so, for Penny's weight of 110+lbs her Vetoryl dose of 120 mg is reasonable. And generally, symptoms take about 2 weeks to improve so the fact you are seeing improvement so fast is a good thing, but do keep an eye on her for signs that her cortisol falls too low. If you see her having any one of these adverse effects: vomiting, diarrhea, inappetence, lethargy, or she just isn't acting herself, stop the Vetoryl and get in contact with her vet. Vetoryl does have a short half-life so usually stopping the Vetoryl is enough; however if no improvement is seen after discontinuing the Vetoryl an ACTH stimulation test is needed. Did the vet give you a prescription for any prednisone? When a dog is showing symptoms of low cortisol prednisone is given because it mimics the effect of cortisol in a dog's system.

Keep us updated, and I am sure in your very capable hands Penny will do fine.

Hugs, Lori

No prednisone script. However our vet is 24 hours so maybe if we call with symptoms, they handle it that way.

So happy this place exists, and we have gone another dose without an accident!!!