Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Cushings please help! - sweet Arial has passed

Unhappy Urgent Cushings please help! - sweet Arial has passed

My dog Arial is 11.5. I took her to the vet on Friday to have a test to check for Cushings disease. Arial has exhibited the classic symptoms like drinking lots of water, frequent urination and distension. My vet performed a low dex test and I am awaiting the results. Before I took Arial in she ate, drank and had good energy. Now she is not eating and is very lethargic. Arial drinks water but I haven't seen her use the bathroom or even eaten anything since I brought her home Friday evening. She only ate 1/2 a cup at best. I have tried several things to entice her to no avail. I called my vet Saturday and they said she was stressed and active when they had her for the test. My wife dropped her off at 7:30 and I picked her up at 5:00. We will call the vet in the morning but wanted to hear from you all especially those who have experienced what we are going through.

Please respond as we are desperately in need of advice!

Thanks,

RichK

Default Urgent Cushings please help!

I am new to this forum. My Arial went to the vet on Friday for a Cushings test. The results are not in. They performed a Low Dex Text. Arial has the classic symptoms and like Constant water consumption and frequent urinating. Arial first started showing signs at her yearly in June. When I brought her home Friday at 5:30 she had been at the vet since 7:30 am. Since then she has only eaten 1/2 cup food Friday night and a half sausage patty Saturday morning. I usually do not feed her Sausage but used that to entice her as her appetite was not there. Now Arial just lays around not eating and just drinking minimal amounts in the morning with not confirmation of urinating. Arial has gone from relatively normal behavior to being helped up and slowly walked inside. Arial is an inside and outside dog.

Please help!!!

Default Re: Urgent Cushings please help!

Hi and welcome to you and Arial,

Gosh, I sure am sorry that Arial is having a tough time right now. Dexamethasone is the medication that is used in the low-dose dexamethasone suppression (LDDS) test and the side effects that Arial is displaying are generally not caused from the dexamenthasone; however all dogs are different. Is the vet aware that Arial is not acting like her normal self?

Is she vomiting or having diarrhea?

Hugs, Lori

Hello, you will see that I have moved your posts in order to create a thread for you on our main Questions and Discussion forum. I believe more people will be able to see your posts and reply to you directly.

I join you in feeling very worried about Arial. What you are describing is not a typical reaction to the test, and I worry that something unexpected went wrong during the time she was at the vet. I don't want to scare you, but if she remains this compromised I think she may need some emergency attention before morning. I truly don't know what might have happened, but if she has not urinated in 48 hours and is extremely lethargic, I am fearful that something may be seriously wrong.

Please keep us updated, but I join you in feeling very worried about your girl.

Marianne

Check her gums. Are they nice and pink or pale and white? If she is black and has black gums, check her tongue for color. Dogs should have nice pink healthy looking gum color. If they are pale, white go to Emergency vet immediately, do not wait til morning. What you are describing could be a life threatening anemia illness called IMHA. Might not be and hopefully not, but the symptoms you are describing could be. Not enough people know about checking gum color when a dog is ill.

I second emergency attention or at the very least a trip to the vet first thing. Lack of urination, not drinking, and refusing food are very serious symptoms. Good luck with your dear Ariel.

Jen (and Maizie, and Sammy in heaven)

How is Arial this morning? I have all my fingers crossed that she is doing better and that the vet has figured out what is wrong. Please do let us know when you have the chance.

Marianne

We had to say goodbye to our beloved Arial. Blood tests showed Renal Kidney failure and X-rays showed a large tumor on her spleen. We are devastated.

Default Re: Urgent Cushings please help! - sweet Arial has passed

Oh my gosh, Rich, I cannot tell you how sorry I am!! I can only imagine your grief and shock over what has happened, and my heart totally goes out to you. Of course you have to wonder whether the testing on Friday somehow triggered a sudden crisis, but with these underlying problems it seems as though it was really just a question of "when" rather than "if" a crisis was to come. But what an agonizing shock for you and your family! You were trying your best to find out what was wrong and to help her -- I know your hearts have to be broken.

This is not at all what we were hoping to hear, but that doesn't change our support for your family and for Arial. I know you are in shock right now, so I will wait to tell you more. But we will be here to help you honor Arial, and we will be hear to walk alongside you. If you feel like writing any more today or any day in the future, we are here to listen and to discuss and to remember.

Again, I cannot tell you how sorry I am for this sad news and for your family's pain.

Marianne

Default Re: Urgent Cushings please help! - sweet Arial has passed

I am so sorry for the sudden death of your beautiful Arial. There are no words that can comfort you at this time. May sweet Arial be at peace.
    Sonja, Angel Apollo