Thread: good vet for Cushing's dog in Dallas area

Default good vet for Cushing's dog in Dallas area

Hi ,
    I am new to this site and very glad I found it. My dog is on Vetoryl 10mg every other day (he is mini schnauzer) weighs about 12 lbs. He has been on it for 2 weeks and vet said levels looked good but not his hind legs are very stiff. I don't know what to do. Also, he has had bumps and big pimples that seem to have cheesy pus in them. Any help would be appreciated.
    Gio's mom

Default Re: good vet for Cushing's dog in Dallas area

Hi and welcome to you and your girl, we are sorry for the reasons that brought you here but so glad you found us.

Every-other-day dosing is generally not a good option. Since the medication remains active in the body for no longer than 24 hours, skipping a day only sets up a roller-coaster of higher cortisol one day, lower cortisol the next.

This is especially troublesome in terms of trying to interpret the results of an ACTH stimulation test. If the test is performed on an "off" day, the results will be higher; if the test is done on a day with the med, the cortisol level might even be lower.

Has your girl had a CBC/Chemistry blood panel done recently? If so could you get copies of those test/s and post the abnormal values listed along with the reference ranges and the units of measurement, as an example....ALT 150 U/L (5-50) Could you also post the results of the test/s that were performed to diagnose your girl's Cushing's. What symptoms did she display that led you or your vet to test for Cushing's in the first place? Is she taking any other herbs/supplements/medications?

Sometimes when the cortisol is brought down arthritis can be unmasked, I would ask the vet if this could be the possibility for the stiffness, and if it is, there are medications that can help. Dog's with Cushing's can get a type of skin issue known as calcinosis cutis, but I'm not sure what those pimples/bumps are that your girl has, if you could get a pic and post it in your album we may be able to tell. Renee is our resident CC expert, and in her photo album she has pics of her sweet Tobey with varying stages of CC, here's a link to Renee's album: http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/album.php?albumid=805

Hugs, Lori

I think i know what you are talking about. My Kiki never had calcinosis cutis. She had some pimples,but mainly sores or pustules that were filled with pus. Few even were blood filled. When they cultured them the vets said they were pyoderma .Might not be the same but thought I would mentioned that. Welcome to you and your baby.

Hello and welcome to the forum. The best option is for the vet to check, maybe by a biopsy of one of the pus filled areas and find out exactly what it is, then you'll know best how to treat it, whether it is calicinois cutis or an infection that needs anitibiotics. CC often ends up getting infected too and if that Is what it is, then only bringing the cortisol down will help it.

I agree, every other day dosing is like putting their bodies on a rollercoater ride, up and down and up and down. What you really want is a steady cortisol level.

As for the legs, often when cortisol starts to come down, things like arthritis can be uncovered (the higher cortisol tends to mask it) Are you giving supplements like glucosomine, etc to help with that?

Glad you found us
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)