Thread: 10 - 12 year old terrier mixed/Cushing's/Confusion, back legs giving out

Default 10 - 12 year old terrier mixed/Cushing's/Confusion, back legs giving out

I just registered with this site and hope some of you can give me hope. I have a 10 - 12 year old terrier mixed. He's a rescue so I don't know his exact age. He was diagnosed with cushings over a year ago. Typical symptoms, excessive water drinking, panting, urination, pot belly. He has been on Vetoryl for over a year and I saw no change. In fact things got worse. Confusion, back legs giving out which are all side effects of the medication. Blood levels were checked every month and I was told everything was finally level after several adjustments to the level of medication. I have recently taken him off the medication and put him on an herbal adrenal gland supplement. I have seen marked improvement in his mental state and some improvement in the water drinking and urination. The back legs are still a problem at times. He has good days and bad days with that. I don't know what else to do. He still gets excited for 'treats' and still asks to go outside. At what point do I know the cushings has taken over?

Default Re: 10 - 12 year old terrier mixed/Cushing's/Confusion, back legs giving out

Welcome to you and your dog! I noticed that you had posted this reply on another member's thread, and I have taken the liberty of moving it so as to create a thread of your very own. This way, it will be easier for our members to reply to you directly. I went ahead and made up a title for you; just let me know if you'd like to have it changed and I will take care of that for you.

It will be very helpful if you could tell us more about your dog's history and also what his Vetoryl dose was along with those ACTH monitoring test results. Can you also tell us what test/s were performed that diagnosed his Cushing's?

Hugs, Lori

Default Re: 10 - 12 year old terrier mixed/Cushing's/Confusion, back legs giving out

The standard ACTH tests were done. I don't know the levels as I was not provided a written copy of the results. Verbally, the initial tests indicated Cushings. After starting Vetoryl at 20 milligrams a day (20 lb. dog) the dosage was adjusted to 10 milligrams per day---5 mg. in a.m. and 5 mg in p.m. Yes, I had to open the capsule and divide the contents which is specifically a no-no per the manufacturer. Monthly ACTH testing finally stabilized at the 'normal' level but there has been no improvement in symptoms and a gradual overall physical deterioration during the past year. I just want to make Buddy's last days as comfortable as possible. No more vet's, no more needles, etc. which is why I stopped the vetoryl and am giving him an adrenal herbal supplement. I have seen physical improvement since stopping the vetoryl but the Cushings symptoms are still prominent.

OH my word! At 10-12 yrs old your baby has many more potential years ahead! Please don't give up now. Unless there is some other condition at work, a cush pup can live out its full life span and beyond. Please get copies of all the testing done to both diagnose this disease and the monitoring ACTHs since starting treatment. A couple of questions - are you giving the med with a meal? Are the ACTHs being performed 4-6 hours after the dose and meal?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Yes, meds were given with meals and testing was done minimum four hours later

I am concerned upon hearing that your boy's cortisol level was stabilized within the "normal" level, because the desired therapeutic range for a dog treated with trilostane is significantly lower than the posted normal range for a dog who does not have Cushing's. If Buddy's cortisol was not being lowered sufficiently, that would easily account for the lack of symptom resolution. If you could possibly get the actual numbers for his monitoring ACTH testing, it will really help us a great deal in terms of sorting out the best path forward.

Marianne