Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our Last Goodbye to Gizmo

Default Re: Our Last Goodbye to Gizmo

Has anyone ever worried about their other pets getting Cushings? For weeks after Gizmo died, my husband would keep interpreting every dubious action of our other dog as a sign he might get Cushings. If Barnaby wet in the house, no thought was given to the fact he liked to mark his territory. Instead, he was now losing bladder control. If Barnaby didn't eat, no thought was given to the fact he has long-liked to be conjoled. Instead, he was now developing Cushings.

After my mopping the floors multiple times, and Barnaby wearing a belly band for a period, I think we've addressed the bladder issue. As for the food, my husband now sits in a quiet area with Barnaby and reads while Barnaby eats. I think Barnaby has quite enjoyed all the extra attention. The whole experience was an interesting but stressful aftermath.
    Allison and Angel Gizmo

Just yesterday my husband and I finally packed away Gizmo's medication and linen. For four months all the medication has stayed on the fridge top and the linen has stayed in a corner in our bedroom. With the recent addition of two cats, we've found ourselves needing the space.

Some of the linen has a lot of sickness attached to it and probably should be tossed, but we don't have the heart to do this. The comforter became his when he started to wet in the house. The pillows and blankets became his when he stopped being able to make it through the night. Of course, the medication has always been his.

The linen now is packed in our closet. We'll save it for the next bed with similar needs. With every pet we lose, it seems to become more and more difficult to part with their belongings. To do so seems to involve too much letting go.
    Allison and Angel Gizmo

Absolutely! That is one of my biggest fears because I barely made it through the first time. My life has been scarred forever because of it. After what we've all been through, I think these fears are perfectly normal. You are not alone in this! Tell hubby that it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Allison View Post
    Has anyone ever worried about their other pets getting Cushings?

I do think that once you've gone through cushings, you are always super aware of anything that happens or the activities of any other pet. The worry just doesn't seem to want to go away.
    Crossing fingers though that you never have to deal with it again.

I agree, it is very hard to get rid of those special items that are a part of your loved furbaby. I still had one of my cats toys that he loved and when I got my dog molly, she adopted that toy and carried it around with her for years. Just loved it for some reason.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Somehow I missed these responses. I'm still trying to figure out how to sort through threads.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. My husband still worries about our poodle's appetite, but now at least has the stamina to go through the whole process again of trying different foods.

On my side, I always worry when a cat stops eating or when a cat develop develops a cold. A couple years ago, my Lucy cat lost her appetite, then got diagnosed with heart and kidney issues. Within weeks, we lost her. Now I'm super vigilant about cat health!

Quote Originally Posted by Budster's Mom View Post
    Absolutely! That is one of my biggest fears because I barely made it through the first time. My life has been scarred forever because of it. After what we've all been through, I think these fears are perfectly normal. You are not alone in this! Tell hubby that it's okay.
    Allison and Angel Gizmo