Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newly Diagnosed with Cushing's

Default Newly Diagnosed with Cushing's

Good morning!

My ten year old mini Schnauzer was dignosed with Cushing's, he will be starting Trilostane 30mg- daily, today. He doesnt seem to be showing any symptons except hard calcified lumps on his skin. He is still very active.
    My questions are, should I change his food diet? at this moment he is on senior can and dry food from Science Diet brand.
    Also, should I slow down his physical activity as he loves to fetch the ball, and go for long walks.
    This is all very confusing to me, as I am having a very hard time trying to understand this disease. Any answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated.
    Just wanted to state that I enjoy this forum.

Thank you.

Default Re: Newly Diagnosed with Cushing's

Hi and welcome to you and your boy!

Sorry for the reasons you're here but glad you found us. It sounds like your boy may have Calcinosis cutis. Was a biopsy done on those hard lumps? Our resident expert on Calcinosis cutis, Renee, has pictures of her dog showing the Calcinosis cutis, here is a link to her album: http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/album.php?albumid=805 Could you take a look at those pictures and let us know if this looks like what your boy has?

To enable us to provide better feedback we need to know more about your boy. What tests were performed that diagnosed the Cushing's, and could you post those results? Was a CBC/chemistry blood panel done recently, and if so, could you post anything that is abnormal with the reference ranges and units of measurement...e.g...ALT 150U/L (5-50)...thanks. How much does he weigh?

As far as the physical activity, I believe continuing with it is ok as long you let him be the guide to how much is done.

Concerning the diet, there really isn't a "set" diet for a cushdog, it should be tailored to that individual dog's needs. However, because of the effects of excess steroid on protein and fat metabolism, a good quality, moderate to high protein, low fat diet is recommended.

Please know we will help in any way we can, and do not hesitate to ask all the questions you have.

Hugs, Lori

Thank you for your quick response. Zane had what the vet calls "senior tests" - urine, and blood work done one month ago, the vet called me and told me Zane's blood work showed signs that he could have Cushing's and suggested LDDS test. This test was performed 3 days ago, yesterday he called me and told me that indeed Zane tested positive for Cushing's, and prescribed Trilostane 30mg once a day. I have to take him to the vet's office in two weeks to qet blood work done. He has had no biopsy performed on the bumps that he has on his back. This pup weighs 19 pounds.
    Since I am completely oblivious of this disease, I greatly appreciate any suggestions or questions that I need to ask the doctor. Thank you so much, this is a great forum, and I am glad that I was able to find it.

Hello and welcome.

I would say that the recommended starting dosage now for dogs is 1mg/1lb. This is a recent revision as it use to be higher, but dogs do better on a low dose to start with. 20mg might be better to start on, even if you have to go up a bit later on. And some dogs do a split and do 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening for example.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I have just a moment to post, sorry this is so short. A starting dose of 30 mg is too high for a dog weighing 19 pounds. Dechra, the makers of Vetoryl, have since revised their starting dosing protocol and now recommend that treatment should be initiated at 1 mg per pound of a dog's weight, so for Zane's weight of 19 lbs his dose shouldn't be higher than 20 mg . Here's a link to that info: New lower starting dose for Vetoryl Zane's vet may not be aware of this so I would print out a copy and ask the vet about it.

Please do get copies of those test results and post them here, ok?

I will try to get back later...hugs, Lori

Ok, I am back for a bit (I'm at work and sometimes they expect me to do something...)

We do really need to see those test results, post all levels that are marked abnormal and include the reference ranges and units of measurement.

Starting a dog on Vetoryl with out common clinical signs causes me to worry. If this were me, I would want a biopsy done on those lumps to make sure what exactly they are. Dogs with Cushing's sometimes do get a skin issue known as Calcinosis cutis, this can only be diagnosed accurately with a biopsy. If the biopsy result shows that Zane does not have Calcinosis cutis I would not start treatment for Cushing's when there are no symptoms present. In the face of a non-adrenal illness the LDDS test is more likely to yield a false positive result, his skin issue is considered a non-adrenal illness.

Please be sure to check out our Helpful Resource section. There is a ton of information there, including a great thread for folks new to the disease. Here's a handy link: Helpful Resources for Owners of Cushing's Dogs and Trilostane/Vetoryl Information and Resources Feel free to print anything out and do not hesitate to ask all the questions you want.

Lori

Thank you to all for your replies, every little bit helps, as I had mentioned before Cushing's is a bit hard to understand, but thanks to this forum I am begining to understand it better.
    Zane has been on Trilostane 15mg in the morning and 15mg at dinner time for 4 days, so far I have not seen symptoms in him for which I am very greatful. Regarding his skin condition he has an appointment with his vet in two weeks for bloodwork, skin issues will be address at this appointment. Again, thank you for your replies.

Let us know how he is doing. Glad to hear so far all is well.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

You have found a great place for help with this disease. I hope you and yours continue to do well.

Spoke too soon! On Zane's 5th day of medication, after four hours of giving him his evening dose, I notice that he looked depressed and with little coordination, I contacted the vet and he told me to stop his medication and wait one week and start it again 15mg a day instead of 30mg a day. My concern is that it has been 2 days since medication was discontinued and he still looks a little "drowsy", just not himself. I am concerned as looks "worst" since being on medication than before. I am not even certain if I want to give this med to him at all. Please any advise! Thank you!