Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cushing and chronic kidney failure/my princess has passed

Default cushing and chronic kidney failure/my princess has passed

Hi,

My dog (Jack Russell) was diagnosed of cushing disease two years ago. In Oct 2014, she has Hematemesis and I have been seeing the vet and went for blood count, ultrasound and X ray. The vet thought the condition is uclers. So we give on feeding her medicine but her blood diarrhea is on and off. Only 4 days ago, the vet find out that she has chronic kidney failure. She is in the clinic now doing drips.

Her medicine for cushing is vetoryl and she is suppose to take 15mg per day. The medicine work well for her for the past two years.

Her bun is 150, phos is 7.1 and cre is 5.9. She is not eating the past 3 days so the vet has to force feed her. Have asked the vet whether we should continue the vetoryl and she said yes.

need advise on whether we should continue with the vetoryl and how can I prepare home cooked food for her to entice her to eat.

also want to know that does cushing disease affect the kidney and if I lower the dosage, will the kidney function better? Her red blood cell count is fine, white blood cells just a a bit high.

Thanks

Default Re: cushing and chronic kidney failure

MODERATOR NOTE: Your post has been manually approved so that members can start responding to you. Please check your email, possibly your spam / junk folder, for a message from k9cushings. You will need to reply to that email so that your post go directly to the board and are not delayed waiting for approval. If you have already received and responded to the confirmatory email, please be patient. Your registration will be finalized shortly. Thanks and welcome!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Hi and welcome. I am so very sorry your girl is having such troubles.

Firstly, I would not give any more Vetoryl. Given that she is vomiting blood, has no appetite and her kidney function numbers are elevated. She is certainly in distress. Her receiving fluids at this point is important and instead of force feeding her they should include some of the nutrients in the fluids.

Please keep us posted.
    Terry

Dechra, the manufacturer of Vetoryl, publishes a specific warning against giving the medication to dogs suffering from impaired kidney function. So I, too, would be very worried about continuing to give it in this situation. To confirm this warning, probably the best thing to do would be to ask your vet to please contact Dechra directly in order to discuss your dog's kidney problems. Depending upon where you live, here is Dechra's contact information.

Dechra's U.K./Euopean office: http://www.dechra.eu/contact-us.aspx

Dechra's U.S. office: http://www.dechra-us.com/Default.aspx?ID=365

I am surely sorry your dog is feeling so poorly. Here's a website that may help you with some dietary tips:

http://dogaware.com/health/kidneydiet.html

Marianne

Dear all,

Tq for the advise. I have met the vet this evening and they agree to stop the vetoryl.

She is still not eating and her cre went up to 7.1 so hopefully her cre will go down once she stop the vetoryl.

I am still curious whether her kidney failure is due to Vetoryl. I have written to them and waiting for them to revert.

Thanks

Hi and welcome from me as well,

I have had two beautiful furbabies that had kidney disease and I am sorry that your sweet girl is having kidney issues. One important thing that I noticed is that her phosphorus is elevated, and when this is high it causes a dog to lose their appetite so she needs to be on a phosphorus binder.

I too, would recommend in stopping the Vetoryl as of right now. Letting her cortisol rise a bit high may make her appetite perk up and it also could increase her drinking, which fluids are needed when a dog has kidney disease.

Has the vet mentioned feeding her a low phosphorus diet? Are you going to be giving her subcutaneous fluid treatments at home?

I see that you mentioned that her white blood count is high, this may mean some kind of infection such as an UTI (urinary tract infection) has an urine sample been collected and analyzed recently?

I'm including in my post a link to the dogaware webpage that has a information regarding canine kidney disease (diets, tests. etc), I strongly urge you to read it as it did help me, here's that link: http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidney.html

Please know that we are here to help in any way we can so do not hesitate to ask all the questions you want.

Hugs, Lori

Hi,

We are stopping the Vetoryl now to treat the chronic kidney disease.

Anyone know how long we can stop the vetoryl and if her kidney cur is stable, should I continue the vetoryl or not? If I don't continue, will her system clash again?

Anyone has a dog that has cushing and chronic kidney disease?

Thanks

Can you answer the questions Lori (Harley PoMMom) asked yesterday about the phosphorus binder, etc? It is really hard to give feedback without info to build on.

I don't think she will ever go back on the Trilo with kidney disease. As Marianne (labblab) posted yesterday also -
    Dechra, the manufacturer of Vetoryl, publishes a specific warning against giving the medication to dogs suffering from impaired kidney function.
    Kidney or liver disease sort trumps Cushing's anyway. The kidney's are the priority now.

What is her BUN? What is the BUN:CREAT ratio?

Is she eating any better today?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi everyone,

Just want to inform you that my princess passed away yesterday night.

Thank you for the advise and concern.

i am sorry that your princess passed away.
    i had a dog with chronic kidney failure too. in the end she got sick very fast. once they stop eating there is nothing you can do but let them go.
    lots of strenght from us.