Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Joined Today (Orlando has passed)

Default Re: Joined Today

In many ways that is all our babies want is for us to be with them to be happy being in their company.

I am sorry that I have not updated for so long but did want to let you know that Orlando is still holding his own with good readings on his last stim test, in fact the best they have ever been. His liver numbers have risen a little bit, but we are watching that. I had my vet do the 6 month chest xray and send it to the oncologist...it was clear and he will be scheduled for his next Oncept injection in April. Last October I was dxed with breast cancer, caught early on a mammogram, and had a lumpectomy in December and a re excision in January. I am about to finish radiation in a couple of weeks, fortunately the medical oncologist did not feel that I would need chemo based on a clear sentinel node and a decent score on the Oncotype DX test. So Orlando and I have faced this all together and he has been there for me as much as I ever was for him with his melanoma.

Hi! Good to hear from you again and especially good to hear that Orlando continues to so well! I am sorry to hear about your own cancer diagnosis but very glad it seems to have been caught early and pray radiation puts an end to it! Please drop by when you can and let us know how Orlando and YOU are doing.

Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

“Ditto” to everything Leslie just said!! Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by to update us. We’re all wishing you both the best in your recoveries!

Marianne

Great news about Orlando continuing to do well, but I'm very sorry to hear that you have had to go through cancer too. Two peas in a pod you and Oralando. It seems you are doing well and on the road to recovery. Keep it up!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thank you all so much....I will stay in touch!

Orlando appears to have an arthritic shoulder, not rendering him immobile, but cutting down on our walks. I also suspect that the amputation site, while completely healed, has left him with an odd feeling in the foot. The toes must splay a little when he walks and it might be causing some discomfort. He is overly sensitive to any discomfort but I wanted to ask what a safe pain reliever is for Cushings dogs, any type. Thanks so much!

Tramadol and Gabapentin are two that I can recommend. I take Gabapentin for my nerve pain and it does help. With both of those meds you need to watch out for loopiness, when I first started the Gabapentin it was a 300mg dose twice a day and it did cause me some uncoordination until I got used to it, I now take 600mg twice a day without any issues.

Thank you so much! I do have tramadol on hand from his amputation....lots of it, so that might be the answer.

Orlando's primary care vet has been very careful to maintain his foot with the missing toe, so he is doing okay in that department. We have not had to go to any regular medication for pain, thankfully. However, we are having, as are many of you, a miserable summer. I have central AC, 5 ceiling fans, and 6 tower fans in the house, but he continues to pant and seem generally uncomfortable. Cushings is under control, and this seems like a reaction to heat and not a new medical issue. I put him in the tub and keep him wet which seems to help, but wondered if you had found that one brand of cooling pad was better than another. When I went to Amazon, there were very mixed reviews. He may be "weird" and not lay on it, but what is another $50 at this point if it might help him.