Thread: Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Default Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Tomorrow is promised to no one
    gpgscott
    06-29-2008, 08:46 AM

Hi all, our little Alex is gone.

Everything was very normal yesterday right up to evening time when she jumped up into bed with us. At about 2:30 I was wakened by her deep panting, I turned on a light and looked her over and saw at once that she was in serious distress, barely able to breath and I could not find a pulse. I called the Dr. and we took her in. The Dr. told us it was an acute pulmonary issue and that her heart was beating very abnormally. She was left at the hospital and the Dr. treated with lasix, oxygen and I really don't know what else. We came home. Our little girl crossed the bridge sometime before 8:00 this morning.

As you can imagine it is very strange around here this morning and I am sure it will be for a while, I am glad she was happy and normal right to the end and that she did not suffer greatly. We miss her tremendously.

Scott
    06-29-2008, 08:54 AM

Oh Scott,

I am so very very sorry to hear about sweetie pie Alex. I see her photo in the Gallery all the time and am shedding tears right now. I too am glad she was not in distress for very long. It is so hard when their time comes, we just are not ready ourselves and your title simply says it all.

Big ((((hugs))) to you and Vandy
    T.

06-29-2008, 09:40 AM

Scott, I am so, so sorry to hear this news. Words are empty at times like this so I'll spare you. Just know that my thoughts are with you both today.

Godspeed sweet Alex.

Glynda
    06-29-2008, 01:40 PM

Scott, I was stunned to read your post earlier. I'm back again a bit later, but still at a loss for words other than to tell you how sorry I am. I will light a candle tonight for Alex and all the rest of you, her forever family.

In loving memory of your sweet Alex. You held her in your arms for as long as you could. And now you will hold her in your hearts forever.

My own heart goes out to you and Vandy,
    Marianne
    06-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Scott,
    Just know my thoughts are with you today and of course Vandy.
    Jen
    08:11 PM

Scott,

How did I miss this earlier??????? Oh my, I am so very completely sorry!! I'm just in tears...and words fail me too! You and Vandy are such great parents and I was just thinking about Alex when I was talking about dog hair and the pic you posted.

I will give extra special hugs to the boys tonight...and my heart just really broke for you!
    You are an extra special wonderful person and please know I am keeping you and Vandy close in heart...
    Lots and lots of special hugs, Beth and the boys

08:34 PM

Scott,
    I am sorry for your loss. You are so right, tomorrow is promised to no one. We never have enough time with our
    beloved friends. I too am happy she was normal right to the end and didn't suffer.

God Bless,
    Christy

06:39 AM

Scott,

Truly sorry and very sad to hear the news about sweet Alex. She has taken a big piece of your heart with her and a piece of hers will always be with you. Tomorrow will come and so will the time when good memories make you smile.

Lyn and Lucy

07:10 AM

Scott,

I am soooo sorry about the loss of your precious Alex. I had no idea you had another dog.

I'm positive your beloved little girl is in such a special place right now, free of pain, and meeting all kinds of new angels.

I wish you and Vandy much peace in this time of sorrow. I'll be thinking of you both today.

Many hugs,

Michelle and Nikki

08:29 AM

Thinking of you all this morning, and wishing so much I could be there to give you hugs in person.

Marianne

08:52 AM

I missed this post entirely yesterday. Scott I am sooo sorry to hear about Alex. You guys are the best parents Alex could have ever asked for and I am so glad that she has been healthy and happy her entire life. I hope it gives you some comfort. Thinking and praying for you, Vandy and Moria.

Cheryl

09:23 AM

Thanks very much to everyone, we just laid her poor spent body to rest. We are expanding a garden and right now it is just barren soil but she is right next to a path which we will walk often in time to come and which we will plant and watch mature as we remember her.

She was a very special dog, she was owned by one of our garden center customers who got her as a pup and two years later when he married the wife and Alex did not get along so Alex became the garden center dog, she lived there for two years and always greeted me with such enthusiasm that one day the customer suggested she
    should go home with me. He did not have to make the suggestion twice. That first day it took two longs baths before the rinse water ran clear and then we began to find the ticks. She had so many that we finally had to take her to the Dr. who gave her a sedative and removed them all, there were over 20.

She fit in almost at once, funny thing is that we have always put a favorite toy with the cats we have lost but Vandy and I remarked this morning that if we were to put Alex's favorite things with her it would have to be Gabriel and Hermes the two cats. We decided Alex will just have to wait to be reunited with her kitty buddies.

Thank you again for all of your kindness.

Scott

09:38 AM

So sorry to hear this I am new here, and don't know your story, but I know that you would not be here if you didn't love Alex deeply. Having lost beloved pets myself I know what a void this brings into your world.

My deepest condolences.

09:59 AM

Dear sweet Scott and family,

What a lucky girl Alex was to have loved you from the moment she laid eyes on you and then to become a member of your wonderful family. I am grateful she had a healthy, happy life and didn't suffer overly much when her time came.

Tears are falling for your precious Alex and family. Condolence from me and Squirt,
    Leslie

10:17 AM

Scott,

What a sweet story about how Alex came into your home.What a lucky, lucky gal!

I'm sure she had the best life she ever could have had with you, Vandy, and the furry bunch. She hit the doggie lotto, that's for sure.

Many hugs,

Michelle & Nikki

10:22 AM

Quote:
    always greeted me with such enthusiasm

They always know, don't they?

Lyn

06-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Scott,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You have been such an inspiration for both Katy and myself. We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. I know that tears won't comfort you right now but they are falling just the same. It is amazing how these wonderful bundles of fur steal our hearts.

Our thoughts are with you,

Lisa & Katy

06-30-2008, 01:49 PM

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Alex. It sounds like you gave Alex an amazing life, and she returned the favor.

Sandy

06-30-2008, 04:04 PM

Scott -

I, too, missed your post about Alex yesterday. I am so sorry and I know that yours and Vandy's hearts must be breaking. Perhaps it was a blessing that she passed so quickly and did not have to suffer too long. That, I know, doesn't make your loss any easier. You gave me a bittersweet chuckle with your comment about the cats.

Sending hugs your way. Sue/Zo

06-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
    Hi all, our little Alex is gone.

Everything was very normal yesterday right up to evening time when she jumped up into bed with us.

At about 2:30 I was wakened by her deep panting, I turned on a light and looked her over and saw at once that she was in serious distress, barely able to breath and I could not find a pulse. I called the Dr. and we took her in. The Dr. told us it was an acute pulmonary issue and that her heart was beating very abnormally. She was left at the hospital and the Dr. treated with lasix, oxygen and I really don't know what else. We came home. Our little girl crossed the bridge sometime before 8:00 this morning.

As you can imagine it is very strange around here this morning and I am sure it will be for a while, I am glad she was happy and normal right to the end and that she did not suffer greatly. We miss her tremendously.

Scott

I am so sorry for your loss. At least , like you said, she was happy and normal til the very last moment. You are in my thoughts.

Laurie (oreomom)

06-30-2008, 05:47 PM

I am so sorry to hear this news, Scott.

I will be thinking of you and your family.

~Kathy

06-30-2008, 07:16 PM

Scott and Vandy;

I was sorry to read about the loss of your Alex. I know what it feels like to loose a loyal companion. Thanks for sharing how Alex came to live with you. I know she will be greatly missed by all.

Hugs to you and Vandy
    Sharon

08:52 PM

Scott,

I am so terribly sorry to hear about the loss of your precious Alex. She was so precious and so lucky to have the best doggy parents around. Please accept my condolences and I am sending you big, big hugs....

Laura

10:55 PM

Dear Scott and Vandy,

I, too, was not around enough to be aware of Alex and I am truly sorry for that. I wish I would have known. I would have mentioned her as well in my notes.

The tears are flowing. Your e-mail this evening just hits me harder now. I know she truly had a wonderful life and all the blessings that God can give.

Hugs and prayers from our house to yours,
    Heidi and Robin,
    Snicky, Marco, Sophie and Cheri
    ..and Friskie and Lucky from Heaven.....

08:52 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of Alex. It was good to hear her story of how she came to be at your place.
    Please take good care of yourselves at this time,
    Extra (((((hugs))))) from our house to yours,
    Jo-Ann & Lady

10:55 AM

Thats so sad, I am thinking of you xxx

03:09 AM

Scott I am so, so sorry for your loss. Please tell Vandy and all your family that I'll keep you all in my prayers. My heart is broken and I can't stop the tears as I read your post. At least as you said, she was happy and her body didn't suffer much. Please forgive me for noticing your post so late.

Please take care of your wounded hearts. My sincere condolences.

A Pet's Prayer

My people are so precious Lord,
    I know You think so, too ...
    And I believe You put me here
    To love them just for You!

They take such gentle care of me
    And have such tender hearts ...
    Please use me Lord, to comfort them
    Whenever teardrops start.

They face a lot of battles as
    They live and work each day...
    They need me, Lord, to make them smile
    And show them how to play.

The world is full of people, but
    Sometimes real friends are few ...
    Please let my love and loyalty
    Remind them, Lord, of You.

And when my final moment comes,
    Lord, tell them as we part ...
    I was a made-to-order gift
    from Your great, loving heart!

--Anonymous

Alex, we will miss you too, please take care of your family on earth. We know you chose them because of their big heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiADsg-cJ6E

Extra Hugs from my family to yours.

Marcela (Truffa & Nina's mom)

Default Re: Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Big hugs to you, my friend.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

My thanks to everyone who reached out to Vandy and I nearly a year ago, I can't believe it has been that long.

And special thanks to the people who spent their time finding this orphan posting so that it could be placed here.

Scott

Hello Scott,

Sorry I have been so out of touch as usual of late. Someone always seems to pull me back in. It will always be this way.... Coming home......

This time it was GINO. A bichon rescue with cushings disease. I sure hope his foster mom or adoptive mom finds his way here. His rescue certainly did not. I have advised them both. I could not adopt him (I am now finally taking my vet's advice). It breaks my heart though.

Thinking of you through your sad anniversary.

Hugs,
    Heidi and the fluffers

Scott,

I had just read the last post on this thread and headed over to another message board and this is a poem just posted there to someone who has just lost a loved dog. It felt like such a coincidence that I thought I would post the poem here too.

Jenny

When Tomorrow Starts Without Me
    Author: unknown

When tomorrow starts without me
    And I'm not there to see,
    The sun will rise and find your eyes,
    All filled with tears for me.

I wish so much you wouldn't cry
    The way you did today
    Remembering how I'd lay my head
    In your lap that special way.

I know how much you love me
    As much as I love you
    And each time that you think of me,
    I know you'll miss me too

But when tomorrow starts without me
    Please try to understand,
    That an angel came and called my name
    And petted me with her hand

She said my place was ready
    In Heaven far above
    And that I'd have to leave behind
    All those I dearly love

But, as I turned to heel away
    A tear fell from my eye
    For all my life I never thought
    That I would have to die.

I had so much to live for
    So many sits and downs to do
    It seemed almost impossible
    That I was leaving you.

I thought about our lives together,
    I know you must be sad,
    I thought of all the love we shared
    And all the fun we had.

Remember how I'd nudge your hand,
    And poke you with my nose
    The Frisbee I would gladly chase,
    The bad guy, I'd "bark and hold".

If I could relive yesterday
    Just even for a while,
    I'd wag my tail and kiss you,
    Just so I could see you smile

But, then I fully realized,
    That this could never be;
    For emptiness and memories,
    Will take the place of me

And when I thought of treats and toys
    I might miss come tomorrow,
    I thought of you and when I did
    My dog-heart filled with sorrow

But then I walked through Heaven's gate
    And felt so much at home;
    As God looked down and smiled at me
    From His beautiful golden throne.

He said "This is eternity,
    And now we welcome you,
    Today your life on earth is past,
    But here it starts anew

I promise no tomorrow
    But today will always last;
    For you see, each day's the same day
    There's no longing for the past

Now you have been so faithful
    So trusting, loyal and true
    Through there were times you did things,
    You knew you shouldn't do

But good dogs are forgiven,
    And now at last you're free
    So won't you sit here by my side,
    And wait right here with me?"

So when tomorrow starts without me,
    Don't think we're far apart
    For every time you think of me,
    I'm right there, in your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBuddy View Post
    So when tomorrow starts without me,
    Don't think we're far apart
    For every time you think of me,
    I'm right there, in your heart.
    Jen, this is perfect.

Scott