Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miss Peaches (aka Peach Pie!) 10 y.o. miniature poodle, diabetes & Cushing's

Default Re: Miss Peaches (aka Peach Pie!) 10 y.o. miniature poodle, diabetes & Cushing's

It can be pricey in the beginning with all the testing, I know, and Trilostane can need some adjusting.

We will think positively

Good curve and good acth test coming right up!
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Default Re: Miss Peaches (aka Peach Pie!) 10 y.o. miniature poodle, diabetes & Cushing's

Yes, Ma'am!!!

Dear sweet Carrol,

What a very lucky lady Miss Peaches is to have landed in your arms. She knew where to find the best mom!

You are off to a great start, naturally, and I am very glad to see you back here tho I wish Peaches didn't have to have Cushing's in order for that to happen. BUT she is in great hands and has a brand new family here now. BTW, she is a DOLL!

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Thanks, Leslie. I know I will, once again, need your help and direction. Love you tons.

Just picked Miss Peaches up from the vet's. I have them do the curves right now on her as my hands are not as steady as they were and she is so tiny. Doc says her glucose was way up (484 - 682 being the highest between 11:00 and 1:00) but she shows none of the signs of hyperglycemia. So...we are increasing her insulin from 2u to 3u and he will see her again in a week.
    I am getting the results from all her tests so far emailed to me tomorrow so I can work all this through for myself. It was too late tonight to get them as they were getting ready to close and Miss Peaches made it very clear that she wanted to go home!

I was just reading on Harry's thread where Judi had posted about her Jenny who also had diabetes and cushings.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...954#post168954

I found your post on the diabetes forum and just wanted to give you a heads up about low blood sugar. My Jenny was impossible to get regulated for her diabetes till we started getting the cushings under control. She was on a very high dose of insulin for her weight.

After about a month on the cushings meds, her blood sugar went really low because with her cortisol down, her insulin needs dropped by about half. that was when I got my courage up and started testing her blood sugar at home.

If you aren't testing Harry's sugar at home (we used a human meter, a One Touch Ultra), you might want to consider doing it and be super vigilant. Jenny's back legs started shaking, that was her only symptom.

they feel so much better once the cortisol is down. Judi
    So getting the cortisol under control can help to get the diabetes under control and you might not end up needing the higher dose that you are going to now, down the road a bit.
    I thought you would probably find that interesting.
    The two certainly do have a profound affect on each other.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Sharlene!
    This is exactly what the Doc said. That is why he only upped her insulin from 2u to 3 u and not back ti the 4u she had been getting even though her glucose curve was extremely high. He will see her again next week and do another curve.
    I will check out Judi's thread for additional info.
    I am a nurse so I understand interrelationships between diseases and medications in humans but I am dumb as dirt when it comes to animals!

Default Diabetes Plus Cushing's

How many furries do we have on the forum that have Cushing's and Diabetes?

Default Re: Diabetes Plus Cushing's

MODERATOR NOTE - I have moved your post to the board where discussions are held. You are apt to get more response from members treating both disease here.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Carrol,

I have taken the liberty and merged your post into Peaches’ original thread. We normally like to keep all posts about each pup in a single thread as it makes it easier for members to refer back to the pup's history when needed. Thanks!

I just did a quick search and found 4 members (there's probably more) with dogs that have both diseases.

Here are links to their threads: Another newbie - Diabetes and Cushing's

Harry, 11 y/o Llasa/King Charles Cavalier - Cushing's & Diabetes

14 year old Chorkie with Cushing's, Diabetes, Bloat...

Cushing's, Diabetes + Trilostane

Hugs, Lori