Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: "Mah Boy" Keesh the Wonder Dog

Default Re: "Mah Boy" Keesh the Wonder Dog

Yea I think you'll know more about time frame once you can speak with the sponsor.

Holy cow, I'd be running like crazy if i thought a bear was anywhere near me.
    No idea what the answer is on the housing situation.

Those are some granny pics though. I don't know why it reminds me of the Clampets.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

LOL- thought the same thing when I posted them, however here you have to have on pretty much 5 layers of clothing, and that's just to be warm inside. Hydro is bad here, and I have electric heat.
    Judi & "mah boy" Keesh

I don't know what the matter is with me, but the more I think about getting another dog, the more I am having reservations. It will be an expense to put up a fence for sure, but people keep telling me I will never have another dog like Keesh with how well behaved he was etc. I don't want to hear those things, and I certainly know every dog brings with them their own cuteness, quirks and special personality. It isn't that I expect a new dog to replace Keesh but I am having difficulty thinking about bonding with the new dog, never mind the responsibility that comes with it. Am I totally out to lunch and is this normal? Do you think I should hold off getting this dog with the way I am feeling? We certainly all know I need the companionship and the responsibility will keep me occupied, but I am really wondering and second guessing. Go ahead, lay it on me about what you think.
    Judi & "mah boy" Keesh

Sounds like newlywed jitters, Judi. Every dog is a responsibility.

I was sure I would never be able to love Sibbie when Victor sprung her on me. She is nothing like Lena. Doesn't listen, doesn't like to be held or cuddled (unless it's her idea), won't go in any carrier (and I've bought 4 different ones trying to get her to like it!), still goes on the wee wee pads, and won't go to just anyone, where Lee was always happy to greet a newcomer.

But I love her anyway. We have a different relationship, a totally different bonding. She does stick close when she thinks I'm getting ready to go somewhere, but doesn't watch my every move, like Lena did. Even though she won't cuddle up in bed, she makes sure she is next to me and leaning on some part of me. She always lays in my lap and gives a huge sigh when I touch her.

I miss Lee every day, but I miss Sibbles when I'm at work or not able to take her with me. It's different, but we have finally bonded. She's my little distraction from sadness and I love her and the boys with all my heart.

You'll figure out what's best for you. Maybe this is not the time, or maybe it is...you won't know until you try.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan2517 View Post
    Sounds like newlywed jitters, Judi. Every dog is a responsibility...

...You'll figure out what's best for you. Maybe this is not the time, or maybe it is...you won't know until you try.
    I think what Joan has written is very wise, Judi. I don’t think it’s surprising or weird at all that you’re having second thoughts as the time grows closer. Actually, I think it’s very natural. Changes of any sort — even good changes — can be very anxiety-provoking. But after sharing these last years together with you here on the forum, I think you should give it a try. I think you are ready to give it a try, even though it may not feel that way to you right now. If things truly do not work out and it became necessary down the line to rehome the pup, I would expect that in this situation the breeder/trainer would take the dog directly back themselves in order to arrange another appropriate placement.

But the quirky thing is that you may find it easier to connect with this new pup if he actually isn’t a whole lot like Keesh. Of course the natural tendency is to make comparisons, but if this new little guy exhibits his own personality, it may make it easier to embark on an entirely new journey. When Barkis died, I know I was looking for “him” in every single yellow Lab boy that I saw or met. My heart ached anew when he wasn’t there; when he wasn’t anywhere. So when my husband and I decided to bring another pup home, we agreed to ask for a black female. I was so torn up that I thought I literally needed our new dog to look totally different to at least avoid the physical comparison. I now realize that probably wasn’t necessary at all (and of course, now we have our yellow Lab, Luna). From Day 1, Peg was her own self, with many characteristics that were very different from Barkis. But the one big thing that hadn’t changed was me. I needed to be needed. It was as simple as that. There were lots of challenges and even tears with a new puppy. But over time, I rejoiced once again in the companionship, in the solitary walks together, in the cuddling, in the inexplicable connection. And for sure, from the first moment that Peg walked into our home, I was no longer lonely in that awful aching way I was after Barkis left us.

I know you are not me, and so your feelings about all this need not be the same at all. But I do believe that your capacity to nourish a new pup remains as strong now as it was with Keesh. You were a wonderful mom, Judi. So I encourage you to give this a try. Don’t forget, we’ll be right here alongside you every step of the way ;-).

Oh Judi! Girl, I love you and I thought Keesh was absolutely adorable and the two of you together where even more adorable. I know how much you loved him and what he meant to you. There can be no replacement and so, first off, don't go looking at any new dog in your life in that regard. The new guy, he won't be Keesh, he won't act like keesh and he won't be what Keesh was to you. He'll be his own doggie and I personally think that having a companion in your life is Exactly what the doctor ordered. I say that because I know how much his loss affected you, I know off the changes that occurred at the same time you were going through everything with Keesh and how much that too affected you. I think and this is my own noisy, busy body attitude speaking here, that you need a friend to share that house with out there in the country. To travel the next adventures with you.

A dog will not make things easier, it will thinks harder, you have to accommodate their existence after all. But the joys you will have. To play with, to jump in the car and go with you, to go on road trips together. I think there are great possibilities here and I hope that you will be open to them and that it will work out.

If it doesn't, as Marianne said, the breeder/trainer will probably be willing to take back if for some reason you don't bond. But I think you will.

HUGS
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thanks for your input. I am of the understanding that if for any reason I have to surrender the dog, it goes back to the breeder, however even typing this I figure the only way it will is over my dead body, hopefully.
    Judi & "mah boy" Keesh

Judi, you probably already know this but I'm going to say it anyway. The others have given you some great input regarding this decision, and it sounds like you have made it.

I want to follow up all that and remind you that when you bring Koda home, you may or may not bond with him right away. But I have no doubt that you WILL bond with him, in time. It may be immediate, or it may take weeks or even months. One day, perhaps when you aren't expecting it, Koda will do something... and you will know. It might be a big thing - greeting you in the morning or when you return from being away (even if just for 5 minutes). Or it may be a small thing - a tilt of his head, a sigh, the way he looks at you while waiting for a treat or his dinner. Or maybe it won't be something he does at all. But you'll know.

I cannot wait to hear all about him, and for that moment when you know. He's yours. And you wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh, one more thing. Even after that moment, you might still have doubts, questions, worries, etc. But it will all be worth it... for Koda. And most especially, for you.

Hugs.
    Shana
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Thanks Shana... I thought of that.... I just don't want the pup to become attached and yet I can't. Guess there's no way of finding out other then to give this a go. I know he will get all kinds of attention from me and I will try my darnedest to make this work. Won't I be surprised if the dog doesn't like me LOL
    Judi & "mah boy" Keesh

Dear Judi
    I was told over and over that Apollo was one in a million, the best little man, travelled great on the plan, great in the car, so noble, so regal. Apollo is and will always be my heart dog. Nothing could, would replace him. Four months after he died , I was struggling with unbearable grief. I felt like Apollo was pushing me to get another dog. I finally adopted little Ariel. It took me a long time to love him. I was always comparing him to Apollo. After almost 4 years I am starting to love him. I did not want a puppy at my age. Apollo was my one and only baby. I felt like Apollo was saying the best you could do is share that love with another. Don't quash that love. You will know if this is right for you. The day I brought Ariel home I was so nervous wondering if I had done the right thing. Once I held him in my arms, I just melted. I could have returned him also after a week, but I did not. I realized I had a place in my heart for Apollo and Ariel. I am glad I adopted Ariel at 3 years old. He has issues,anxiety, fears,etc. Apollo was my warrior, I am Ariel's protector. Life is so much more richer with a dog to share it with.
    No one can tell you what to do. Only you can. Listen to your inner voice.
    Love Sonja and Apollo
    Last edited by apollo6; 01-24-2018 at 09:51 PM.