Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast

Thread: Down the Cushings Road Again -- Abbie, 15 year old beagle is now at peace

Default Re: Down the Cushings Road Again -- Abbie, 13 year old beagle

Hi, folks! X-rays yesterday showed a little improvement -- the vet displayed last week's x-rays next to yesterday's so I could see the changes. There is still quite a bit of cloudiness. The vet also showed me the x-ray that showed her lumbar vertebrae -- he had told me that one of her discs looked really bad. After looking at it I do not know how or why she is still walking! There is no space in the disc and there is what appears to be a bone spur growing on the bottom. I really think the loss of weight, although not good for other reasons, has helped her with her IVDD. She has continued to lose weight and is now at 19.6.

Anyhoo, Abbie will be on antibiotics for at least three more weeks. The vet said her breathing sounded much better with no raspiness like she had last week. We go back on 5/4 for more x-rays and another exam.

I asked the vet about a sample pack of Abbie's dry food -- he said that Purina will accept any prescription food (and possibly other food) that a dog stops eating for any reason so I shouldn't hesitate to open the bag to try it. I did that a little while ago and put a few pieces on the rug for her to try and she chewed them up! I will continue to do that for a bit before I start adding them to her regular meal. She has continued to eat a few offerings off the plate. I ended up adding cheese to her ground meat and seems to really like that addition. Today is the last day for sucralfate -- hooray!!
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

Yay for Abbie! Baby steps and one day at a time, but sounds like she's feeling better so it's all good Bless her little heart with those xrays, she's a trooper.
    Sounds like Abbie is following Whiskey's lead to gourmet dinners: salami, potatoes au gratin & cheesecake-a girl after my own heart.
    Thanks for the hint on adding cheese to the ground beef, I'll try that soon.

Folks: Maybe I should have brought some cheesecake home for Abbie ... two days of better eating and then this morning back to just chicken. I prepared her breakfast before mine so am thinking maybe she was nauseous in spite of all the meds. Tomorrow morning I will make my breakfast first and see if that makes a difference. She seems tired today also so maybe feeling yucky from pneumonia and/or antibiotics.
    Venice, FL

I'm so sorry.....I hope she eats better tomorrow for you. Maybe smelling your breakfast got her appetite kicked in?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I'm sorry too, the ups & downs are so disheartening and I totally understand. Tomorrow will be a better day. Maybe you could try banana muffins, (or corn muffins-which Whiskey had for dinner). Low fat recipes for both are easy to find online & quick to make. Hoping for a good appetite in the morning.

I also wonder if days when she is feeling some pain from that disc might have to do with her appetite being off.

Definitely hoping for a better day tomorrow.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Judy, how's your girl? (And how are you?)
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha

Hi, Shana! Thanks for checking on us. Abbie has been on a roller coaster in terms of health -- she is now being treated for another UTI and an ear infection. She is eating very, very little -- last couple of days, she will eat some canned i/d from a spoon as well as a little bit of chicken if I hand feed her. We cut the antibiotic dose in half as she was really lethargic after starting it. She is still basically sleeping all day but the accidents in the house and extreme drinking have stopped. The vet calls every few days as he is concerned about her.

The end of April I had a bad fall and ended up with a cracked rib and huge hematomas in several areas including my right eye socket. I landed on my tailbone also and am just now able to sit without that silly cushion. I wasn't able to sit at the computer so have been absent from here for a bit. I have gone back to tai chi so am definitely doing better!
    Venice, FL

Hi Judy, sorry about Abbie-hope she's feeling better & eating more for you. Glad to hear you're on the mend though. Keeping you both in my thoughts.
    Annie

Yikes! Sorry to hear about your fall. You've been missed, but the reason is completely understandable. Glad you're doing better... sending healing thoughts your way....for both of you.
    Mama to Jackson and Kira, and my darling Cushing's angel, Visuddha