Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: new, is this where I post? new diabetes diagnosis - Sweet Cosmo has passed

Default Re: new, is this where I post? new diabetes diagnosis

Squirts mom,
    they just called and said the ultrasound was done and to pick him up at 6:00 today. Asked about blood sugar and they said they would talk when I came in.
    I will register with the diabetes site...thanks. I think I need to be a little more assertive lol.
    BTW, how do I delete the second post I started. I have pasted the info into the original post?

Default Re: new, is this where I post?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    Please, please STOP the Trilostane. If he is passing ketones this has to addressed NOW, he needs to be at the vet or taken to an emergency clinic. Is he passing ketones right now?
    yes he is spilling keytones, moderate. He is at vet again, will get him at 6 pm.

Thanks Jenny and Judy.
    I'm getting ready to go get him, they said they would talk to me then. As of now I have no idea what his BS is or the plan.
    I will sign up with that site after I get him back and settled.
    Please do copy a link...Again, thank you.
    I d like to hear more about how yours is doing since he/she has both.

here is the link: http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

if you read this while you are waiting to get in, please get results of all tests to share with us.

He needs insulin if he is in the 700's! our rule of thumb is generally that dogs can handle half of their normal dose if they don't eat anything.

ketones can be life threatening. keep us posted
    Jenny: poodle: Diabetic & Cushings since 2011. RIP 11/10/2014 We love you & miss you

Hi,

I'm the administrator of the diabetes forum.

Are you in an area large enough to have a specialty veterinary clinic?

Your dog needs to receive insulin regardless of whether he's eating or not - and he's not likely to want to eat while having ketones, high blood sugar, etc.

It sounds to me like this vet clinic is in over their head and does not know how to treat properly. Treating ketoacidosis involves not only subQ fluids but also IV insulin.

Your dog is small and they may be anxious about having to give a very small amount, but the ketoacidosis is not going to clear up until some insulin is given.

Let us know what the vet tells you when you pick him up. You may need to take him to an emergency / specialty clinic tonight if his blood sugar is still very high and he still has significant ketones.

Natalie

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny & Judi in MN View Post
    here is the link: http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

if you read this while you are waiting to get in, please get results of all tests to share with us.

He needs insulin if he is in the 700's! our rule of thumb is generally that dogs can handle half of their normal dose if they don't eat anything.

ketones can be life threatening. keep us posted
    will get back w info.
    Cosmo's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
    Hi,

I'm the administrator of the diabetes forum.

Are you in an area large enough to have a specialty veterinary clinic?

Your dog needs to receive insulin regardless of whether he's eating or not - and he's not likely to want to eat while having ketones, high blood sugar, etc.

It sounds to me like this vet clinic is in over their head and does not know how to treat properly. Treating ketoacidosis involves not only subQ fluids but also IV insulin.

Your dog is small and they may be anxious about having to give a very small amount, but the ketoacidosis is not going to clear up until some insulin is given.

Let us know what the vet tells you when you pick him up. You may need to take him to an emergency / specialty clinic tonight if his blood sugar is still very high and he still has significant ketones.

Natalie
    I will fill you in when I get back. Thank you. I live just outside of Houston.
    Cosmo's mom.

Ah, that's good. You're also not all that far from Texas A&M, which I think is one of the better vet schools in terms of caring for diabetic dogs. Oddly, though, their influence doesn't seem to translate to a lot of really great vets in Texas...

Natalie

Mornin' sweetie,

How is your baby boy doing?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

just back from vet, will post update shortly.
    Cosmo's mom.