Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My Lovely Angel Luna

Default Re: My Sweet Peg

I don't have any Tramadol. I wish I did, because I think it would be safer to give than the Previcox. But unless we get the pain managed to some extent, we will have a hard time even getting her into the car and since our regular vet is out tomorrow, I don't think the other vets will just hand me Tramadol without first seeing her. I don't know. I guess I can try driving over by myself and talking to them first if she is no better by morning.

I just saw the note you posted. I was instructed very plainly to give Previcox with food and make sure plenty of water is available. No, I don't think you should give it to Luna unless she is drinking.

Yes, I also think Tramadol would be a safer alternative, but it won't help with inflammation. It sucks that you don't have any right now. Maybe if you explain the circumstances to the vets in the AM, they may give you just enough to get her there.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking, too. Well, I'm gonna try to close my eyes and see if I can't get back to sleep for awhile and then see what the morning brings. You need to go to bed, too, Kathy. Thanks a million for being here!

Anytime I'm on Summer Break remember. I can stay up and keep a dear friend company. It was my pleasure. I'll check back in the morning. I hope you are able to get some rest. Kick Peg off the couch if you need to!

Hugs,

I cannot sleep and just checked on her again. She is still in a great deal of pain and does not want to move at all. So I will drive over to the vet in an hour so I can be the first person in the door, and hopefully they will give me some tramadol to bring home to her so as to take the edge off whatever it is that is wrong.

Okay, that sounds like a plan. I can't sleep either. I feel so bad for Luna. The vet will know how to proceed. I'm sure they've had big dogs in pain before that were difficult to move. Keep us posted, okay. Take big slow breaths Marianne. They will get this figured out and Luna will be happily by your side once more.

Sending tons of healing energy to your sweet girl,

Time for a little light humor.....

My brother had a st. Bernard. He weighed 185 pounds. They NEVER Took him anywhere except to the vet when absolutely necessary. Noah, fought getting into the car because he knew where he was going. It would take a whole army if people to get him in the car. The first time I saw this process I broke out in hysterics. It was like trying to put and elephant into small clown car. The same process would ensue leaving the vets. The entire staff would have to come out to put him back into the car. lol I am soooo glad I went small!

And did my brother learn from this. NO!!!! His next dog was a mastiff!

Hi Marianne,

Sorry to hear of Luna's pain. I hope the vet was able to give you some Tramadol.

hugs
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Thanks for the laugh, Kathy, and the well wishes, Addy. Yup, I am definitely aiming smaller next time around!

Well, it is her paw that's the problem. When I got up and actually turned on the light I could see it is swollen to double the normal size.

No wonder she was limping, and what a crappy mom I am not to have noticed earlier . We rigged up a litter to carry her to the car and she was the first patient seen at the vet's. Still a mystery because there is no obvious sign of a bite or wound. Fortunately the x-rays were OK. The stand-in vet said the tissue between her pads is horribly inflamed, though, so it seems like some sort of inflammatory or allergic issue like you'd expect from a sting or a bite. She got a steroid shot and take-home prednisone. Now that we're back, I'm wondering why she isn't also gonna take an antibiotic just to cover possible infection, but I was too shell-shocked to think to ask about it at the time.

She clearly feels lousy and still won't eat or drink or move. If the swelling hasn't gone down any by tomorrow, I will definitely check back in with our regular vet. Poor little thing. When a Lab won't eat, you know without a doubt that they are seriously hurting.