Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: My Lovely Angel Luna

Default Re: My Sweet Peg

I wasn't exactly sure what a "vole" was so I looked it up with the ever entertaining Wiki and here is what it had to say in part about voles (may I say I am now thoroughly confused but can understand why a dog would jump from one? )

They are the newest Mammoth ally. Voles help Mammoths kill Emys.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Les, I think it may be a typo....could they have meant to type mole? If not a typo, then only people in Maryland and Georgia know what a vole is. I read the definition and still don't know what it is but apparently it can carry rabies. I've never heard of a rabid vole either.

OK girls, here you go as to what voles are (and nope, they are not the same as moles).

http://www.unitedwildlife.com/AnimalsVoles.html

And they help mammoths kill things! It's the use of the present tense "help" in Wiki, as opposed to the past tense "helped", juxtaposed with the mention of some strange dentition in voles that was funny to me. Must be some bada$$ teeth if a mammoth "has" need of them in order to put an end to Emys (whatever those are!). Did they maybe leave out an "m" and it should be Emmys?

Oh, never mind - an Emy is a genus of turtle, apparently ponds turtles...which makes me wonder about THEM now if mammoths "need" help killing them!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

I never heard of a vole either. It must be some sort of southern varmint. You better get that pot a boiling Marianne, just in case you find one. They probably make plum good vittles. lol

So glad to hear that Luna's paw is healing up nicely and she's more her old self again. xxxooo

Yep, a traditional dish around these parts is Brunswick Stew which is supposed to be made with squirrel but probably some voles would work just fine.

Seriously, though, they are really cute little munchkins, and I had no idea until today that they can be aggressive and mean.

Curious, have you actually seen one or just from pictures? They look a little like a hamster on steroids in the photos, but pretty darn cute.

I've seen them racing across streets in front of the car. They do look a lot like hamsters, but they are actually smaller than most hamsters, I think. They are definitely cute!

Wow, never heard of a vole before.

hugs
    Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Really, ya'll have not heard of voles?!? I have seen them in my yard and they can be pretty vocal as well if you get too near them. Next time I will take a photo if I am fast enough. Here is another reference of mammals in MD http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pla...fe/mammals.asp

Here is the difference: http://northernwoodlands.org/images/.../mole_vole.jpg