Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Lovely Angel Luna

Default My Lovely Angel Luna

8-29-14 Note from Marianne: Hi Everybody! Today I am starting a new thread for my six-year-old yellow Lab girl, Luna. Luna is not a Cushpup, but she has had some health issues over the last couple of years. Previously, I had been writing about her on my Peg's thread. But I think it is time for Luna to have a thread that is her very own. I thank you all for your help in the past, and will appreciate all your help in the future. And Luna thanks you, too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everybody, I am hijacking Peg's thread for a moment to ask you all a question about Luna. Out of the blue, her weird orthopedic issue has struck again this evening. It is something to do with her front end, but we cannot tell if it is her neck, shoulder, back, or leg. She is clearly in a lot of pain again, and is limping badly. When it happened last month, I got some Previcox (NSAID) from the vet but didn't end up using it because she miraculously healed overnight. Plus, he and I both agreed we'd actually feel better checking her kidney and liver values before giving it to her. So the gameplan was that I'd drop by with her sometime while she's well for a basic blood panel just to have that taken care of...which, of course I had not yet done .

If she gets worse tonight or can't settle, though, I am thinking I will go ahead and give her one. The effect lasts for 24 hours, however. If she is still in pain tomorrow even after taking the Previcox, does anybody know if she could be given Tramadol, too, in the morning at the vet's office? Or would she have to wait until the Previcox wears off? If so, maybe we'll just try to tough it out through the night and wait for her to be seen. I just hate to see her hurting, though. I really think she is in quite a bit of pain.

Marianne

Default Re: My Sweet Peg

Hi Marianne,

Oh no, poor Luna. I know how worried you must be. Okay, found this on the Justanswer site (where you ask vets questions)

http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary...-together.html

Dr. Elizabeth Ann :

You can definately give previcox and tramadol together. Previcox is an anti-inflammatory drug. It helps to reduce pain by reducing inflammation. It is similar (but not the same) to aspirin or ibuprofen etc.
    Dr. Elizabeth Ann :

Tramadol is a pure pain medication. Think of it as a doggy vicoden. When the pain is too much for just the anti-inflammatory med to handle it, then it can be used. It may cause drowsiness.
    You can give previcox and tramadol together if needed. I don't think you can give previcox and a steroid together though.

hope that helps you tonight and I really hope that they can figure this out tomorrow.

If you run your hand straight down from neck to tail, while she is in a standing position, with light pressure, does she sit down (a sign of pain), indicate a pain area (like vertebrae) where the skin does the ripple effect at certain spots. That is a possibility.

They should probably do a full set of xrays, to help rule out back, neck, leg etc. Could she have sprained it at some point previously? It seems once they have done that, then the possibility of injuring the same area again would be higher.
    Remember molly was limping a couple months ago, well, sure enough, the other day, she jumped off the window seat and messed it up again, limped for most of the day and I kept her off it, next morning she was fine again, but I know, it will likely occur again.

Hang in there Marianne!
    hugs
    Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Thanks so much for this info, Sharlene!!

It is really hard for us to physically examine her and make any sense of the results. If we touch her, she is so skittish that she will immediately sit or lie down or slink away to her crate. Thus far with these episodes, we are not able to elicit any obvious pain ourselves. But then she will yelp when she makes sudden moves on her own. Physical exam at the vet has not identified the problem, nor have x-rays in the past. But it has been quite some time since we did the last set since she had been trouble-free for a long while. It really does seem as though something gets temporarily pinched or slips. And then suddenly it is OK again.

Of course our regular vet is off on Wednesdays, so maybe we can hobble through until Thursday. He knows her so well along with her entire history. I'm thinking now that it is so late, I may just wait and give her the Previcox with breakfast so as to lessen the likelihood of tummy upset, and then see if she improves by lunchtime. If not, I can still take her in during the afternoon.

It very well good be something that gets pinched or pulled and that a certain movement might trigger it.

Last time she had nothing over night and was fine in the morning right? So maybe she will be tomorrow too. I'd definitely limit activity tomorrow though, even if she appears to be fine, just to give whatever is causing this a rest.

Hopefully everyone will get enough rest tonight
    hugs
    Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Peg is stretched out on the couch and I am scrunched up on the loveseat , and poor little Luna is off in a corner.

Hubs needs to work in the morning so he gets to actually sleep in the bed upstairs, lucky guy.

Yes, I sure hope she's better again tomorrow. It's times like this that I sure wish the girls were small enough for us to pick up and hoist around...!

Thanks again, Sharlene.

Hi Marianne,

I am so sorry to hear about Your sweet Luna. I don't know if this will help, but the neurosurgeon who oversaw Buddy's treatment said to stagger the meds so when one wore off, the other would keep the pain manageable. He was on Previcox, tramadol, and prednisone all at the same time. I know his situation was quite different, but the vet did say that Previcox and tramadol are often used together to manage pain. Be careful though. They can manage it so well that the vet may have a hard time figuring out where Luna's pain is coming from, particularly if she's pain free when examined.

You are likely to have a long night ahead. Yes, those big babies aren't easily picked up and carried to bed. I'll check back in a while and see if you're around and feel like company.

Big hugs,

I think Luna should have her own thread too. How about.....

My Lovely Luna

Well, it's almost midnight here and hopefully you all are peacefully snoozing away. Not snoozing as peaceful as hubby, I would guess.
    I'll check back in the AM. I hope Luna is feeling better, poor baby.

Thanks Kathy! I just now roused and see your notes. Luna has not moved at all from her corner so that means she is still hurting. Otherwise, she'd be right here next to me.

I'll be anxious to see if she will eat or drink anything in the morning, which is now just a few hours away. If not, I guess maybe I should hold off on the Previcox cuz I think that's when you can get into kidney problems -- giving it when dehydrated?
    Last edited by labblab; 08-13-2014 at 03:04 AM. Reason: To add.

There you are Marianne. I have been watching for you. I am sorry about your precious baby. We hurt when they hurt. Your support meant so much to me when I needed it. I am here for you now.

It's 3:00 AM There. Are you going to wait and give Luna the Previcox with breakfast or feed her a little something now and give it to her? You could give her a dose of tramadol instead, then Previcox with breakfast. Could you get her to eat a little something, then give her Tramadol? That could help her feel more comfortable. Just a thought.

Hang in there Marianne.
    Big hugs,