Thread: Respiratory illness in dogs - current information

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Default Respiratory illness in dogs - current information

In recent weeks there has been a lot of news about this "mystery respiratory illness" in dogs. Here in the US, it has been spreading and at this point there are no specific testing to confirm if you dog has it. It is described as an atypical canine infectious respiratory illness.

Here are some of the symptoms (that do mimic Kennel Cough - Bordetella or dog influenza):
    - coughing
    - sneezing, runny nose
    - fever
    - lethargy
    - decreased appetite
    - discharge from the eyes
    - others have more severe signs or pneumonia

Be sure your dog is fully vaccinated. Consult with your veterinarian about vaccines for your dog. Vaccines for respiratory disease include those for “kennel cough” (which only protects against one of the many bacteria that cause this disease) and canine influenza if your dog goes where there are other dogs (groomer, boarding, day care, play groups, dog parks, dog shows, etc.). It is good to ask that the places like those listed where you bring your dog require vaccinations for dogs to participate.
    If your dog becomes ill with respiratory signs such as coughing or sneezing, watch closely, keep away from other dogs (i.e. don’t attend day care, don't take them to stores, etc.), and if your dog is lethargic, not eating, or the cough persists/worsens seek veterinary care.

Here are some additional links:
    https://cvm.msu.edu/vdl/news/2023/re...rians-can-help

https://cvm.msu.edu/vdl/news/2023/re...nostic-testing

https://cvm.msu.edu/search/results?q...disease+in+dog

Default Re: Respiratory illness in dogs - current information

Thanks for posting this, it sure is scary.

It's very scary! I had just started taking the puppy out for walks a few weeks ago. Then she went into heat and I stopped, and am glad that I did. Sibbie has all her shots and just got groomed yesterday. The groomer was requiring proof of shots, which made me feel okay with taking her. I had read about this sickness months ago in the paper and had started being more careful with them...it sounds like a g
    dog pandemic...ugh!
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

I think with it being unknown is the most unsettling at this point. They just do not know and is better to be safe. Me and the group of walkers at our local Shelter have stopped walking the dogs for a few weeks. Many of us have dogs at home and the some of the Shelter dogs are exhibiting coughing etc signs but since there is no definitive way to diagnose between just the flu or this, makes it hard. Keeping up to date on things from the kennel techs and my vet.
    Terry