Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My Lovely Angel Luna

Default Re: My Sweet Peg

Oh, bless her heart...and yours, too. I hope the meds help and the cause can be found.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

So glad to hear that the cause was found. Now they can fix it.

When Buddy stepped on a bee, his paw swelled up more than twice the size and he refused to walk on it. He was allergic to many things. He was treated with steroid and Benadryl injections and an antibiotic. His paw pad was inflamed too. His paw was bandaged for a couple of days. It recovered quickly. I hope Luna's paw heals quickly also.

The crisis is over Marianne. It is now time to breathe and rest. You didn't get much sleep last night, so maybe a nap today would help? As far as your one good thing, Luna's problem has been diagnosed and she's on her way to a complete recovery. That would definitely account for a good thing. xxxxxx

Oh, I hope we really are on the right track. I don't know. I think the swelling has moved even higher on her leg and she is acting no better at all than before she got the steroid shot. I am worried it is infected or maybe something totally different like a blood clot or something vascular. The vets are in surgery now but if she is not improved even a bit by mid-afternoon I will call back to see about an antibiotic. I can't believe I didn't ask about one when she was seen. She will not walk, she will not drink. She acts really sick. Hubby arranged to work from home today so we are taking her outside on a litter to give her the chance to pee. I can't do that by myself tomorrow, though. I'm workin' on that good thing, Kathy, but I am not there yet.

Thank you so much for checking on us.

Marianne, I am so sorry to read about Luna and that you worried all night. I sure know that feeling. I am usually on the forum some time during the night but not last night, so I didn’t see everything until this morning.

I just wanted to say that it sure sounds like she was stung or bit by something. When Jasper was about 9 months old this happened to him, only it was his face. It swelled up within 15 minutes of letting him out after I got home from work one day. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong until I looked at him closely, and by the time I got him to the vet his eyes were completely swollen shut. We could not find a bite or sting anywhere either, but my vet was sure that was what happened, probably in his mouth.

Has the swelling gone down at all with the steroid injection? And how is she feeling overall? Luna’s treatment is the same as what my vet prescribed for Jasper’s situation, but he also got an injection of Benadryl, and oral Benadryl to take at home also. The oral Benadryl might be something you could consider giving to Luna also, after checking with your vet, of course. Make sure it is plain Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) with no other additives. I feel like it really helped for our situation. I believe the dose is 1 mg per lb, every 8-12 hrs. Jasper gets 25 mg dose. My vet gives it as an injection to pre-medicate for vaccinations also.

I just wanted to send this real quick from work rather than waiting until tonight when I was home, in case it is something that may help her today. I have been so busy wallowing in my worry over Jasper’s latest developments and other things going on in my life, that I haven’t been on the forum very much lately. I sure hope Luna is feeling better and that the swelling goes down. That is so scary.

Big hugs,
    Tina and Jasper xo
    The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be. ~ Konrad Lorenz

The beautiful ones you always seem to lose. ~ Prince

And the road goes on forever... ~ Gregg Allman

Marianne, I see we were typing at the same time. I think I would take her back also if the swelling seems to be advancing. And especially if she won't walk and is acting sick. I wish I had some other words of wisdom. I will check back as I am able. Big hugs.
    The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be. ~ Konrad Lorenz

The beautiful ones you always seem to lose. ~ Prince

And the road goes on forever... ~ Gregg Allman

Oh thank you for checking in, Tina. I just don't know what to think. There is now a little blood oozing out from around her dewclaw and it is not from her licking it, and her other exposed skin on the paw is weirdly fiery red, too, like it is all bloody underneath. I wonder if she might have been bitten by a snake or something else toxic like that. If this keeps getting worse this afternoon, I may just bypass the GP vet and take her directly down to the specialty clinic emergency room. She is just not improving in any way at all.

If the swelling is going further up her leg, maybe you should take her back. Zoe tried to eat a bee and it stung her in the mouth. Poor thing ran around the house crying, I did not no what had happened at first and then she vomited. I had given her a benadryl earlier in the morning for her paw chewing but my dog savy neighbor had me give her another one even though it had only been a few hours. She felt better after that second pill. Maybe Luna does need more antihistamine as Tina suggested.

HUGS
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Ok we were posting at the same time.

I don't like the sound of that. Is the specialty clinic good? Some are not so great, at least here in Milwaukee, they pretty much suck.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

It's the clinic where Barkis' IMS was/is, although I have not been back there since then except for an eye appointment for Peg several years ago. On paper, they are good...

I just called the GP office and one of the gals relayed messages back and forth. He said I could bring her back for them to keep an eye on, but I see no future in that since they are not staffed overnight. At my request, he will fill a Rx for an antibiotic for me to pick up. I just think that would be prudent since her paw is weeping blood! I will ask about the Benadryl when I pick up the Rx. Overall, he clearly is not as concerned as I am about the swelling and bleeding. I surely hope he is the one of us who is right. How I wish our regular vet was there today!!!

So I will pick up the antibiotic and see about the benadryl, and he said I could advance the prednisone to around 6:00. And I guess we will just continue to monitor her for a while longer. The ER will always be open if we need it .

ok we will check back in with you but dont hesitate if you think she needs to be seen. Better safe than sorry
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko