Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My Lovely Angel Luna

Default Re: My Sweet Peg

Quote Originally Posted by Budster's Mom View Post
    Did the vet say anything about bandaging her foot with some clean gauze, so it can drain? Something to keep the dirt and bacteria out of it. You could change the bandage as need be. I am surprised the vet left it open?

WE WILL ALL BE GLAD WHEN YOUR REGULAR VET RETURNS TOMORROW!!!
    It was not draining this morning so it was not an issue when we saw him face-to-face, and I didn't think to ask about it when questions were being relayed. I've been debating that myself, though. In the past, I always thought it was better to bandage. But more recently I've heard that it is better to leave a wound open to fresh air rather than allowing a bandage to accumulate nasty gunk and hold it moist and close to the wound. But I guess it comes down to a judgement call as to how much drainage there is going to be and how much dirt will the wound be exposed to. Probably it would be better to bandage Luna's paw temporarily, but it is so tender right now that I think we might have a hard time if it. Thinking about it, though.

Just gave her the pred after she finished her whole dinner. Now that's my girl.

I had a little old foster dog who had an interdigital cyst that was constantly getting infected. The vet finally did a culture to determine which bacteria was involved. Her little foot would get really swollen and extremely painful. She was put on steroids again, as well as two different antibiotics the last time she saw the vet. The vet told me to soak her foot in an epsom salt bath a few times a day. I believe it really helped her. If Luna will sit still for it, I highly recommend that you give it a try. It will help draw out the toxins and sooth her foot.

That's a great idea, Glynda. I don't think she'll let me fuss with her paw tonight, but maybe by tomorrow morning.

BTW, Peg has been parading around the house all day as if to say, "Thank goodness it's the little squirt this time who's headed to the vet and not me!!!!" Peg has seemed quite smug and self-satisfied.

I forgot to mention to you that if she has an open, oozing wound, I recommend that you clean it with an antimicrobial skin cleanser. I keep Hibiclens on hand for that as well as Vetericyn. It's a winning combination for any infection. You can get Hibiclens at any pharmacy. I don't know if you remember but I became familiar with Hibeclens when I was taking care of Abby, the little Chi who had a leg and most of the toes on her other foot amputated by a train. The foot with the amputated toes was completely wrapped in gauze. By the second day, the stench was horrific. The surgeon told me to the remove the wrap and clean the toes with Hibiclens. I did not rewrap her foot and cleaned her toes with Hibiclens a few times a day and sprayed them with Vetericyn to promote healing.

Well I am pleased as punch that I am home from work and the park to read Luna ate her whole dinner

High Five girl!!!! (we can add that to Kathy's list of one good thing today)

Glynda has some wonderful ideas, Kathy has been busy too.

Feel the love

makes a girl's heart swell with pride.

I hope tonight is more restful for you both.

Marianne,when we are sleep deprived and so worried, it is hard to think straight. I think you did just fine!!! We are only human afterall Sometimes I do wish I were a dog.
    Last edited by addy; 08-13-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

These a great suggestions. Glinda's experiences are like gold. Probably better than the vet will give you.

Now I think about it thus is stuff we should all keep in our cabinets if possible. Hopefully Luna will let you try some of these ideas.

Hugs
    Sharlene and Molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Addy,

I added your suggestion to the one good thing list. " Luna ate her whole dinner!" Love it!!!! Thanks!

Okay angels, I'm pretty tired after staying up last night. We need someone to monitor the night shift tonight. Marianne might be stuck on that loveseat once again because I don't think Peg is going to give up the couch easily. Luna still can't walk, so Marianne will most likely be stuck downstairs. If any of you are up with pit stops during the night, you might want to check on things. I'll keep checking also. Thanks gals.

Yes, we are thrilled that Luna ate her whole dinner!

Thanks guys, so much! Gameplan for tomorrow is that hubs has cleared a couple of hours at lunchtime so he can come home and help with pee duty. Little Luna is pretty out of it right now, back in her corner hiding out . I hate it that she is still hurting so much, but hopefully things will look and feel better in the morning. If not, I will take her back in first thing and hubs can help me bring her home at noon. So that is the plan. I hope to actually sleep tonight...maybe I can bribe Peg into swapping places with me.

Many, many, many thanks again.

Just checking in before Koko and I go to bed. I do hope you all get some sleep. I am sorry to hear Luna is still hurting that much but I think things will be better in the am and Glynda has so many great suggestions. I stocked our dog medicine chest with her advice when Zoe had that break through bleeding from her first surgery.

Sleep tight, Marianne, hugs and kisses to Luna and kisses as well to our sweet Peg.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter