Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My Lovely Angel Luna

Default Re: My Sweet Peg

Quote Originally Posted by labblab View Post
    Overall, he clearly is not as concerned as I am about the swelling and bleeding. I surely hope he is the one of us who is right.
    He can only be right if he knows what he's dealing with. Did he tell you what the problem is or did he just throw steroids at it and hope it takes care of things. Did he at least do some labs?

Oh my goodness, I am just now reading about poor Luna Hope she is feeling much better soon, will be right here with the others waiting anxiously for more news about sweet Luna.

OMG! I take a little break from this thinking that everything is okay and all hell breaks loose. I don't like the sound of that at all! It does sound like they just threw steroids at it, but the doctor could know what he's doing? I hate it when their regular doctors are not there.

I am glad that hubby is working from home today and he's there with you. I'm glad you have an ER vet close by. Please keep us posted.

Big hugs,

Oh my gosh Marianne, I think I might take her back in before it gets too late in the day. If the swelling and redness are due to a sting or bite, steroids would be included in the correct treatment for that, but I would think she should be showing some improvement by now. I am concerned that the swelling is advancing and now the paw is weeping blood and looks fiery red. Is her paw and leg warmer than normal to the touch?

I agree, I absolutely hate it when the regular vet is not there. It just adds an additional level of stress. Please update us when you can.
    The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be. ~ Konrad Lorenz

The beautiful ones you always seem to lose. ~ Prince

And the road goes on forever... ~ Gregg Allman

Due to the latest developments, you may need a little help with your one good thing. So here's a few to get you started.

• Peg is doing well today
    • Hubby is home to help
    • We are here to support you
    • There is an ER vet nearby

Luna ate her whole dinner! (Per Addy)
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 08-13-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: To add Addy's addition

I'd go for the specialty clinic if you still think it is advancing up her leg and the bleeding continues. My thought being that straight inflammation from a pulled tendon or ligament wouldn't cause that.

So that is my vote and I like Kathy's one good thing. Those are several that are really worthy of a good thing notice.

Let us know whats going on! Now you have the whole gang riding in your pocket

hugs
    Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Good job, Kathy!! (and everybody else ).

I'm back from picking up the antibiotics and the first simplicef is down the hatch. No, I don't dispute the steroids in this situation, either. I just wish I could have started with an antibiotic earlier in the day since it seems as though the likelihood of cellulitis is so high. I have now gotten her to eat some kibble and drink some water so I feel better about that. I think the swelling has maxed out, but there is so much edema, she is leaking bloody fluid through her toes . But I guess that actually is not surprising even though freakish. The message I got from the vet is that he thinks it will take a day or two for the swelling to subside, and the assistant I spoke with said she actually thought it would have been more odd had the swelling stayed restricted rather than expanded. So who knows.

Nope, no labs were done, and again I was so sleep-deprived and scatter-brained I did not request them. We were just so anxiously awaiting the x-rays and I was so relieved that they were OK and that there was no obvious major wound. Duh and double-duh. . My excuse is just that it seemed pretty clear that there had been some trauma localized to her paw like a sting or a bite, and I don't know that we'll ever figure out what did it.

Now that I've got the antibiotic, I'm hoping there won't be any more worsening. I'm spraying Vetericyn on her toes. And hopefully the evening dose of pred will speed up some anti-inflammatory action. Our own vet will be back tomorrow morning, thank goodness. So I'm hoping we can stagger through the night.

My big issue will be, what will I do tomorrow if she still can't walk outside on her own. She doesn't know to use pee pads in the house. I think hubby and I will need to do some brainstorming tonight. You'd think that after 20 years of owning big dogs, we would have had to figure this one out before now...

Well it's a fact that sleep deprived brains aren't working at optimal levels, but no way around it when you are up all night worrying.

You still have the option of going to the ER if you think it is getting worse or not responding to the medications.

I guess you can take her out in the morning before he leaves and then hope she'll hold it till he gets home, or is there a possibility of him coming home at lunch if need be? If not, what about a friend coming over. One with some superior upper arm strength, others need not apply.

Glad to hear that she is eating a bit and drinking some too. Prednison certainly should help with that.

hugs
    Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Did the vet say anything about bandaging her foot with some clean gauze, so it can drain? Something to keep the dirt and bacteria out of it. You could change the bandage as need be. I am surprised the vet left it open?

WE WILL ALL BE GLAD WHEN YOUR REGULAR VET RETURNS TOMORROW!!!

If you use a tape measure to measure around Luna's paw, you will be able to track the swelling, knowing whether it increases or decreases. A couple times a day would give you a good idea of how it's doing. That depend on whether she'll let you touch it, of course.