Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sydney 9 Year Old Boston Terrier Cushing's?

Default Re: Sydney 9 Year Old Boston Terrier Cushing's?

We do see less adverse side effects when the dose is started low, so with Sydney's weight of 17.4 lbs I believe starting her dose of Vetoryl at 10mg is a good plan.

Some dogs may get an upset tummy from the Vetoryl but this is usually because the dose is too high. If Sydney acts like her tummy is upset than I would ask her vet about giving her pepcid ac before her Vetoryl dose.

We are here for you and do understand how scary this can be, however I believe you and Sydney will do just fine. If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask them, ok?

Hugs, Lori

Do you think it's ok to go to work all day after giving her the pill in the morning? Or should I wait to start on Saturday when I can be home?

Thanks
    Kristen

Sydney should be okay but I think you will feel better if you can run home at lunch and check on her. When you are worrying there isn't much that can make you feel better other than seeing for yourself.
    I am not saying it is necessary just that I think it will give you more peace of mind if you do so.

Hang in there
    Sharlene and Molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Checking in to see how Sydney is doing on her meds.

Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hoping for the very best for your Sydney. I just love Bostons!
    “Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
    ― Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit

Pansy Lou Who, the Velveteen Boxer. Always loved, never forgotten. RIP 2014

Hi everyone,

Well, today is day 6 on the meds. I have seen vast improvement! She is totally back to acting like herself. Her energy level has really increased. Her hair even seems better, much softer. I think I am crazy as I know its to soon, but it even seems to be growing back. Also, her nights and days are no longer messed up, she is sleeping through the night again. I have not noticed any decrease in her water intake. She never did get to be a nonstop eater, so her food intake has remained the same. I am not sure if we just never got to that point with the symptoms. Additionally, her pot belly is still very apparent. However, I know that it might never go away, and I am being realistic...we are only on day 6 of the meds. But the best break through happened this morning. She actually got up on her own and used the dog door to go to the bathroom in the backyard. Prior, I have been taking her out front, as for some strange reason she was refusing to use the dog door/backyard. I am watching her very closely, and even the slightest oddity I am questioning my vet on. But, so far, so good....

Does anyone know if the back legs will regain strength? Or is the weakness permanent damage? I just feel so bad for her, as she tried 3 times last night to jump up on my recliner to sit in my lap. And all 3 times she only made it about 1/2 way and then fell to the ground. It always reminds me of a fly hitting a windshield, its violent looking. And I am afraid that one of these days she is going to hurt herself from falling. I always reach out to grab her to catch her but its always so awkward that I sometimes cant help her. Or I am afraid that I am going to squeeze her in the process and hurt her.

Hope all your pooches are doing great!
    Kristen

I'm very glad to hear that Sydney is doing so well. This is good.

If you don't have her on a joint support, such as dasuquin, then I would get her started. You can get them in treat form, which helps.

It won't help her muscle strength, but will support the joint/cartilage. If you teach her that instead of trying to jump, that she waits to be picked up and put on the couch then that might work. My molly is so embarrassed that after she fails at a jump, she won't let you pick her up, but if when she knows she isn't feeling so hot, then she'll wait for someone to pick her up.

They all have their own little quirks and personalities, but that is an idea for you.

I am happy to read that Sydney is having such great results! It's very encouraging for me because my Mackenzie is on the verge of a Cushing's diagnosis and I am nervous about what comes next. Reading about such a quick turnaround is wonderful. I am sending you positive vibes for continued improvements!

I agree with Sharlene -- it may be best if you teach Sydney to wait calmly or offer you a different behavior in order to be lifted onto your lap. If you reach out to her while she is jumping, she might interpret that as encouragement. Try asking her to sit or lie down or give paw (whatever is comfortable for her) before you pick her up. Alternatively, you could stack up some doggy stairs! My boy is a hind leg amputee, so I am always mindful of the stress on his remaining limbs.

Hi! I'm Suzie. That's great news about Sydney. I haven't begun treatment for my doxie Dixie yet, so I'm very encouraged by how well Sydney is doing. I will continue to follow your journey. YAY SYDNEY!

Oh love her avatar photo! She's a cutie.