Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: San Diego County wildfires

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Default Re: San Diego County wildfires

Oh Kathy,

Praying you and yours continue to be safe. Are you thinking of evacuating at this point? Watched on the news, very bad situation.

T.

thank you all for posting about the fires. We have over 9 fires throughout the county. I am not near the fires, but it could change.
    Over 13,000+ have been evacuated. Some homes have been lost.
    They have shelters for pets, dogs, etc. horses. grateful for that.
    We need your prayers.
    Sonja

So good to hear from you Sonja. I am relied to hear that you are okay. ((((Hugs))))

Evacuating is still a possibility at this point. This is the 4th time that we have had to prepare to evacuate. The wind seems to be blowing in the opposite direction for now because the air is a little clearer to breathe. We are at the west end of town and are surrounded by very dry mountains on three sides. It's hard to stop a fire being fueled by dry brush, high winds and scorching temperatures. Firefighter are being spread very thin from battling so many fires throughout the county. The military from Miramar Marine base are helping by flying helicopter and planes and dropping water. They also have the capacity to fly through the night. Firefighters are arriving from nearby states to help. Everything is being done that can be done at this point. I am feeling confident that my area will be saved. I'm sure that others with charred home have thought that too.

My biggest concern is for tomorrow. My school district has reopened school for tomorrow, so I have to go to work. I am nervous about leaving my folks (in the eighties) and Rosie. Neither of them hear well and may not hear an evacuation call. One time the neighbor's fence caught on fire (a cigarette). My dad slept through the whole thing. Firetrucks, sheriff's and a paramedic arrived with sirens blaring. He never heard them! I am worried!!

Thanks for all the love and support angels.
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 05-15-2014 at 11:30 PM.

EEEEEK!!! Hope you and your whole families are safe Kathy and Sonja, scary times. xx
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!

Kathy, this is just awful. I am thinking about you and Sonja and praying that they get the fires contained and that you all remain safe.

Hugs,
    Tina and Jasper
    The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be. ~ Konrad Lorenz

The beautiful ones you always seem to lose. ~ Prince

And the road goes on forever... ~ Gregg Allman

Sonja - good to hear from you and know ya'll are safe so far!

Kathy - I think I would tell the school to go jump in a lake til the threat is gone if the fire is that close. The school area may not be as threatened as it sounds like your area is.

Ya'll please take care and be ready to go asap...and keep checking in. I heard the number of wildfires there so far this year, which is only 5 months old, and it was unreal!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Sonja, good to hear you are okay.

Kathy - I would call in and not go into work - extenuating circumstances and I am sure they will understand.

Terry

I have been up all night again monitoring fire activity. I went outside a few minutes ago (4:00 AM) to check for flames. None in site at the moment and the air smells somewhat better. Possibly less ash. The power grid is still unstable with many surges. I can hear helicopters circling. That doesn't mean the fire is close. I can always hear them in the distance.

I am feeling exactly the same way that I did when Buddy was dying and I had to leave him to go to work. Déjà vu. I don't get it. Why in the hell are they reopening the schools on Friday when it's going to be stifling hot again and fire danger is still present? Just stressed and venting!

We are okay for now. I hope Sonja is too.

Man, I don't get it, either. That just seems nuts to reopen school today!

It's the same dumb logic that helped bring Atlanta to its knees (and made us a national laughingstock) during our snowstorm this winter. They knew the storm was coming but let the schools open anyway, and that made the traffic issues a gazillion times worse. For us, it was mainly inconvenience. For you guys, this could be life-threatening. I just don't get it!!

I hope they change their minds when it becomes light and realise it is too dangerous to have all the kids and you in school. Hopefully your work is not too far from your home so you can dash home if needed. Hoping for some rain for you and these fires subside soon xx
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!