Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all mathmeticians/ chemists!

Default Calling all mathmeticians/ chemists!

Your assignment -

There are 16 oz net weight (473 ml) of 95% glycerine / 5% water and the full 16 oz must be used. To this 16 oz - water and Brandy need to be added. The Brandy is 40% alcohol and 60% water by volume.

The finished solution needs to be 75% glycerine, 15% water, and 10% alcohol.

How much water and how much Brandy should be added to the 16 oz of glycerine to achieve that final solution?

"May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: Calling all mathmeticians/ chemists!

Sorry but moving on to next thread.

Glynda wait up!! I'm right behind you!! Don't leave me here with Math!!
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Well I got as far as putting the data onto an xl sheet and staring at it......... then remembering that I never really got percentages

Grabbing MC's hand and pulling her out into the sunlight. Don't go to the dark side!!

I might be having too much fun with this Leslie! And not an answer in sight either!
    Last edited by molly muffin; 05-05-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Interesting Leslie. I am with MC - put it into a spreadsheet and actually trying the ratio bit and I am guessing that the alcohol will dilute the glycerine so will let you know.

Glynda, Sharlene, MC! I just knew someone here would know how to formulate this!

I keep wanting to add 1.6 fluid oz of each but when you work it backwards, that doesn't come out right. Then I came up with 1.9 oz of each that somehow works backwards closer. A doc friend I asked said 2 oz of each....but I got the distinct impression he was simply telling me that to end the debate of allopathic VS Holistic medicine...which he was not winning.

So ya'll keep on trucking with this - those of you still in the dark anyway! The truth is out there (per Moulder anyway!).
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

My brother is a mathematic wizard so I asked him if he knew the answer and his response was:

No, because I would never ever screw up an 80 proof brandy by mixing any thing with it.
    I tend to agree with him.

Lmao :d:d:d

Okay I emailed the question to my husband, my math wiz, who is partial more to a single malt scotch, so hoping he won't take exception to messing with a good brandy. hahahahaha

We'll see.

I'm still in the light!
    Sharlene and molly muffin (she doesn't do math either)