Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings - Ginger has passed

Default Re: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings

So Ginger is doing well. She has developed an interdigital cyst between her back toes and none of the treatments have been helping to shrink it. I have tried several antibiotics with 2 weeks on two weeks off for months. I am trying Epsom salt soakings and antibiotic creams.. Not much helps. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also we have noticed that she seems to pant much more after supper. All day she seems fine as far as not panting except after a walk or something, we keep the apartment on the cool side, but each night after she eats supper she seems to pant for sometime. She does eat more at night than in the morning. Still a challenge to get her to eat in the mornings. She is still on .5 milligrams Fludrocortisone and 1/4 of a 5 milligram Prednisone. The Prednisone I give to her with her morning dose of Fludrocortisone. Any input would be appreciated. She still enjoys walks and does not seem uncomfortable other than just running on the warm side with her panting. No signs of pain or anything. Thank you and hope you and yours are well.

Glad to read that Ginger is doing well but sorry about that cyst growing between her toes. My Harley had an issue like that and his IMS instructed me to soak his foot in a diluted solution of betadyne/betadine twice a day, I think the ratio was like 1 part betadyne/betadine to 10 parts warm water. I was also to apply a triple antibiotic to it after making sure that his paw was completely dry.

As for the panting, when was the last time her electrolytes and cortisol were checked? If the electrolytes are unbalanced and/or the prednsione dose it too much or not enough, both of these situations can cause panting.

Lori

Okay thank you. Did the betadine and warm water soaks along with the triple antibiotic help?
    Her electrolytes were checked in March and they were right where the vet said she wanted them. The prednisone I am not sure about as far as the reading was or if they checked. They had said 1/2 a 5 mg of Predinose, but it seemed a little much to me when I was giving her that amount. Too hungry and too much water consumption, but perhaps I need to increase it to the half. I will see how she does for the remainder of this month and if she continues I will call the vet and make an appointment. Thank you so much. Blessings...

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    Okay thank you. Did the betadine and warm water soaks along with the triple antibiotic help?
    I believe it did, that was 7 years ago so my memory is a bit hazy I do have it noted in Harley's medical folder but didn't enter if the treatment made the growth disappear. I also see that Harley was taking a oral antibiotic for it too, but again, and I apologize, I didn't write what was rx'd.

Lori

Hope you all are doing well. Things in Indiana are going ok. Ginger is doing ok. However we are still dealing with issues of loose bowels. Some days it is better than others. Her new dose of .7 mg fludrocortisone (2 x a day)along with the quarter tablet of 5 mg. Prednisone seem to be ok, but I don't know if he dosing is still correct since the loose bowel issue continues. It does seem like her fludrocortisone wears off before it is time for her next dose, but if I give it too early, then I have more trouble getting her to eat in the mornings. Also.. even with the Predisone it seems she does want to eat, and will most of the times, but she almost acts like it does not set well. I read that both of these can cause stomach upset. Any thoughts before I call the vet to see what we can do on things that have helped your babies with stomach upset, if any of you have had this issue? Thank you.

Is she getting the Prednisone with food? I take prednisone every now and then for my migraines and if I take them on an empty stomach I do feel sick. You may want to ask the vet about giving her something to coat her stomach such as Pepto Bismol, Carafate, or slippery elm bark.

I give her her Prednisone first thing in the morning. I usually give her a few bites of food and then her pills. Sometimes she will eat right afterwards, but sometimes she won't eat until the prednisone kicks in about an hour or so later.

Hello! Hello! It has been so very long since I have been on here. I do apologize.. I had trouble finding the website and then I would forget about it and get busy with other things. Anyway I hope and pray you are all well.
    I am happy to report that on Sept. 1st we celebrated Ginger's 14th birthday! I will add some pictures! She is holding her own.. Medication adjustments a long the way with the Addison's and several ear infections, bladder infections, yeast infections, but I know her immune system is compromised so I do my best to stay on top of everything as best I can, She has good days and bad days, good nights and not so good nights, but she will walk whenever we want to and sometimes when we don't want to she will want to. So we go when the weather allows. Up until about 6 months ago or so she could still go 3 miles as long as I take water for her. She has slowed down some, but we have had a hot summer so it is best she has. I am excited I have reconnected. Bless you all.

Happy 14th Birthday, Ginger!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know how things are going and I am so glad to hear that Ginger is doing good! Can't wait to see those pictures!

Lori

Happy 14th Birthday, Ginger!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.