Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings - Ginger has passed

Default Re: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings

Thank you so much. every little helps! All we are going by is what the vet has told us. It is helpful to talk with people that have, or are going through the same thing. We do not really understand the numbers the vet told us, perhaps you are more familiar with them. He did say they were high. I believe he said her starting number before the ACTH test was 48 and after it was 34. Do these seem extremely high and if so is it ever to a point that the numbers are so high nothing will help? Or, if they do to come down, is it possible we will have to repeat the loading phase for another eight days?

Welcome to the forum. Sorry your baby is having problems. I just wanted to add a few things to what the others said. Cushing's weakens the ligaments in their bodies, including the abdominal ones. So this also makes things shift around as their abdomen falls thus the pot belly. Also Cushing's dogs muscles are weakened by this disease, making it harder for them to breathe, as the muscles are not pushing air in and out normally. Some Cushing's dogs develop calcium deposits in their lungs also inhibiting normal breathing. If a dog is moving about and restless at nite, as I have found with my dog, it is usually uncontrolled cortisol, or they are uncomfortable because things have moved around inside them. Anytime a dog is having problems breathing they pant. I have put some really big cushy pillows on my bed for Tipper, when she gets uncomfortable she goes to the pillows. They must help relieve the pressure from whatever is bothering her. As far as pain goes, I am not aware of any except for arthritis and joint pain. Cortisol masks arthritis by keeping the inflammation down. When you control the cortisol with treatment, there is a chance of uncovering joint issues and or arthritis. They too can be treated, as I do that with my dog, she gets Adequan injections. This seems scary, lord knows we have all been there. You are in the very best place you could be to help your dog. There is a lot of experience on this forum. You are not alone, and we will help and guide you. We are all in this together, so with correct management your dog could live out it's natural life. It will get better as you learn everything you need to know. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Thank you Tipper's Mom.all of you have been very helpful. Her snorting usually does not start until about 4:00 pm and then ends about 8. She still pants, but is not so noisy. She is restless at night, but I do have pillows for her on my bed. The worst is the noisy snorting, but also her getting up all through the night to get a drink of water and go outside and pee. I understand this is part of it, but I have been concerned about the loud snorting when she pants, why it seems worse in the afternoon and early evening and the trembling. Thank you

Hi and welcome to you and your girl,

I have just a moment to post, and I wanted to provide you with a link, from our Resource Thread, that has excellent information about Lysodren: Lysodren loading Instructions and related tips

Please feel free to print anything out, and if you have any questions just ask!

Hugs, Lori

Sometimes snorting and reverse sneezing can be from trachael issues. Cushings causes the cartlige to weaken and not hold it's been shape which collapses the trachea. My Tipper has it so that's how I know? She does do the snorting, and congested sounds from her throat. She used to have real breathing issues, and make so much noise? The Adequan shots have helped that a lot.It was so bad at one point she went to the hospital and had a scope run down her throat, and up her nose, they could not find anything. She starts honking too, and sort of hiccups at times and she panics as she cannot get air, and it scares the crap out of me. I hope you can get to the source of the problem. I would be looking for answers from an IMS. Is you dog standing or laying when this happens or both? Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Thank you. Is it possible that the Lysodren will not work for our dog and they would have to try another medication? if they do what will the steps be? We are at the end of our third day and I really do not see difference. If fact her panting and snorting seem worse tonight. Thanks.

Sorry Gingerbread got a positive diagnosis for Cushings. My dog, (a mini schnauzer, almost 10) drank so much water and and panted all the time too! That was almost a year ago for us. Once your dog's medication begins to control her symptoms it will all begin to decrease.
    It takes some time, each dog reacts differently but it all will subside. My dog weighed about 15 pounds and was drinking close to 50oz of water daily...it was unbelievable and I was so worried about her all the time, just the way you feel.
    My dog is doing fine now. She still drinks a bit more than she used to in the past but it's normal now.
    Before she was controlled she panted a lot and when she was resting she would breathe so rapidly, restless at night and moving around all the time. Right now she's sleeping here near me, resting comfortably and breathing normally.
    So, your dogs symptoms are all very common to Cushings.
    Things will get better! I still watch her like a hawk in case she gets any side effects and I still measure how much water she drinks each day because things can change and there may come a day when she needs an medication adjustment but for now it's going well and she's pretty close to being her normal self.
    Hope that helps you feel better. The beginning is the roughest part.
    Hoping Gingerbread's Lysodren treatment goes well and that she's doing better asap!

Barbara

Thank you Barbara! This is one of the hardest things I have ever gone through with her and not been able to help. I worry she will have a heart attack if the excessive panting and snorting continue. Perhaps I am being over worrisome. Also, is there ever a time when their numbers are too high that no medication will help? It seems like the vet said her numbers were 48 per ACTH test and 34 after or vise versa.
    Last edited by gingerbread; 03-06-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Hi,

Lysodren seldom works within the first few days to where we can see it. In fact, what you are looking for during this phase, which is called loading or induction, are very subtle changes. It might be something as simple as looking up from his feed bowl when before he didn't pause til the bowl was empty; or drinking 2 oz less water today than he did yesterday. You are a LONG way away from needing to worry if Lyso is working or not.

I asked earlier if the vet told you what to look for that would mean it is time to stop the med and do an ACTH?

I also asked did your vet tell you what to look for that would mean the cortisol was too low - a life-threatening situation?

PLEASE take time to read very carefully the link Lori gave you about Lysodren Loading and Tips. If anything you read there is different from what your vet told you, please let us know ASAP. These are very powerful drugs and it is up to us to make sure our babies are doing like they should be while taking them...so educating ourselves about the disease and the treatment being used on our babies is critical.

Keep watching your baby like a hawk for any changes. If you wonder about something, please don't hesitate to ask.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Okay, thanks Leslie. Yes, the vet did tell me what to look for and I did read the link that Lori posted. I guess I am just worrying too much maybe. I think I am scared I will not see a change at all in her during these 8 days of loading and won't know what to do next. She just looks at me when she gets panting and snorting so hard like she wants me to fix it and I can't for her. You know how those big brown eyes can melt your heart??? I am watching her very carefully. I thought that yesterday there was a slight change, but I am not seeing it today. I am in prayer about it also and that makes a world of difference too.