Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings - Ginger has passed

Default Re: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings

She is just precious! Love the pics

hugs
    Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Okay my friends. I have a question. Ginger is having quite a time with itching and allergies. A few years ago, before we knew she had Cushing's the vet would prescribe prednisone and it worked wonders. Well, now that she has Cushing's I am needing to know if any of you have a similar situation and a recommendation? I have been trying over the counter generic Benedryl, but it is not helping much. I would appreciate any input. Thank you

There is a new allergy drug for dogs that is suppose to be a wonder. One of the forum dogs is on it, it is called Apoquel. The problem is that it works so well, with few side effects that all over the world they want it and the manufacturer is having problems keeping up with demand. If your vet can get their hands on some, that is what I'd try. If not, we are back to trying benadryl, or something like that.

hugs
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Okay, Thank you so much! Have a blessed Sunday!

Hi Sharlene.
    Ginger's mom here. I have a question.
    I have noticed in the last week That Ginger seems to be shedding again quite a bit. Her appetite is good and most of the time she is active. Some of the cooler rainy days she does lay around more than normal, but she is 11 also. No change in much else that I can tell. No sores or large areas of hair loss, just shedding. Is this anything to be concerned about?

It could be that she is blowing her coat. When did she last have an ACTH test to check levels?
    She is eating okay, no diarrhea?
    You can always get a thyroid check too.

Hugs,

Last ACTH test was I believe early July. No diarrhea. Sometimes she leaves a bit of her food. Blood panel was okay for thyroid when they did that I think in May.
    Allergies are still an issue but hoping with first freeze that will help. Am still doing the benedryl.

It is likely just her blowing her coat then and of course allergies to add to that.

hugs

Okay Thank you so much. I just want to be sure that I do my best to stay on top of things for her. Have a blessed weekend!

Good evening my friends. Just an update on Ginger. I took her on Tuesday for her ACTH test. Got a call yesterday from her vet. Her pre numbers were 1.4 her post numbers were 1.5 So they said she is within the normal range. I believe the normal range is between 1-5. So she is actually at the lower end of normal. They said to continue her dosage with 1/4 pill 4 times a week of the 500 mg Lysodren and just call if I see any changes or concerns. I would like some of you alls input please. Are we comfortable with these numbers? what to watch for? etc. Thank you and I pray you are all doing well. Oh and she is down to 24 pounds, which is a good thing!