Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings - Ginger has passed

Default Re: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings

I truly believe that you did. For weeks after Lena died I would all of a sudden pick up on scent of the lotion they used to clean her before they gave her to me after she had died. At first I didn't know what it was, then it hit me...and I knew she was still with me.
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

You know, they say that a person’s sense of smell connects directly to memories in a really unique way…

But why do smells sometimes trigger powerful memories, especially emotional ones? The short answer is that the brain regions that juggle smells, memories and emotions are very much intertwined. In fact, the way that your sense of smell is wired to your brain is unique among your senses.
    So if smells can trigger memories, maybe it can go the other way and memories can trigger smells, too? After reading what you girls have written, I went upstairs to the cupboard in the bathroom where we’ve always bathed the dogs. There in the back, I’ve always left the last bottle of shampoo that we used on Barkis. Even when he was all grown up, we still used a puppy shampoo on him that smelled so sweet. During those early years after he died I’d sometimes go and open the bottle, and for an instant I felt like I was back giving him a bath the day he first came home with us. The feeling was so real and so powerful. I hadn’t opened the bottle in years, though, and today the little bit of shampoo that was left was all dried up. It didn’t really have a smell any more :-(((. But I closed my eyes and thought about all our puppy baths and it was as if I could still smell it anyway. Like you say, Joan, it’s like he was right there with me and maybe he really was. Today it’s been 17 years since Barkis left us. 17 years! But for an instant, his sweet dear self was with me yet again. So thank you, girls, for giving me this little gift today, too. It means an awful lot to me.

Colleen, I know there’s got to be so much about these days right now that are still so hard and feel so raw. But even though it brought a tear, I so hope that Ginger’s scent this morning also felt like a gift to you, as well.

(((((((Big hugs to you both!))))))))))

Thank you both! Yes!!! It did bring a sweet comfort and memory. Bittersweet which I will gladly welcome..
    Hugs, love and prayers..

24 weeks and my selfish self still wants her back. I think I always will. I think we all always will. Their little, happy, unconditional loving lives are way too short.
    Oh to have one tenth of that unconditional love.
    So many lessons learned from my sweet Ginger. I thank her every day! Hope this finds you and yours well.
    Blessings and hugs!

I forget when I stopped counting the weeks...now it's years and I still think of her every day. I totally understand, if only I could hold her against my heart again.

Hugs, hugs and hugs...
    Joan, mom to my Angel Lena, Angel Gable, Angel Phoenix, Angel Doree, Cooper, Sibble, and now Raina.

I am a sobbing mess today!! Today is Ginger's birthday.
    Her first in Heaven. Would have been her 17th here..
    If only.....

MY GIFT

A miracle, a tiny blessing,
    At my feet I saw you resting,
    As the other pups took off to run and play.
    I didn't know that day you'd be mine,
    But it was meant to be from that time.
    Because you picked me that cold December day.

Watched you grow and play and run free.
    Full of love so unconditionally.
    A cherished gift from Heaven God did send.
    You filled my days with love and laughter.
    As I cherished every chapter.
    I couldn't turn the page to read how it would end.

But I could see the tired in your eyes,
    Should not have come as a surprise,
    But it broke my heart to know the time was near.
    I tried denying what I was seeing,
    With every fiber of my being.
    But the truth ran down my face in tears.

You were my everything, my lifeline
    I begged and prayed to have some more time.
    But I guess it was a selfish thing to ask.
    I'm thankful for each day that we shared.
    I pray you know how much that I cared.
    With every breath I'll wish you had a longer dash.
    Ginger
    Sept. 1, 2004 - March 7, 2021

Now I'm a sobbing mess...what a beautiful poem. Every word reminds me of my precious and how hard her first birthday in Heaven was...her first everything in Heaven. I wish every day that I had had more time with her.

Oh Colleen, what a beautiful, beautiful poem and what a perfect loving tribute to your little girl. I’m in tears, too. A love this strong and powerful and beautiful will never die, but I know that doesn’t the hurting. My heart is with you, dear one.

Marianne

6 months.... just doesn't seem possible. Some moments feel so raw, so close, others it seems so long since I held my little girl. I know I mustn't go there, but lately I have been wondering if she ever thinks of me. I am mixed with emotions. I want her to, yet, I don't want her to because I would never, ever want her to be sad and that is not what Heaven is....

Thank you so much.. she was so special. Really struggling with depression and guilt this month. Perhaps with it being the 6 month mark and her birthday month.
    I have such great memories, so much hope and assurance knowing I will be with her again.. but it is the " todays" that are hard to get through.