Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings - Ginger has passed

Default Re: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings

She has not had a ACTH test done since her diagnosis has gone from Cushing's to Addison's except for once or twice after diagnosis. They are doing routine blood work and electrolyte tests regularly. They said since Addison's there is not a need to do the ACTH tests anymore.
    She is only on Fludrocortisone. I have added some more pictures to Ginger's album for all of you to enjoy.
    Last edited by gingerbread; 04-17-2016 at 11:03 PM.

Good evening everyone. I hope this finds all of you and your pups doing well.
    Ginger is doing okay for the most part. I have managed to keep her ear infections in check mostly however we have had some issues with urinary tract infections for over 2 months. It seems that every time her antibiotics are done, within about 3-4 days we are back where we started. So they did an ultra sound and ruled out any stones or unusual cell formation which is a blessing. But they noticed the lining of her bladder is about 3 times the normal thickness. They are not exactly sure why except perhaps that these, or this infection has been long lingering. They sent her sample off to be cultured and it came back with 2 different types of infection E.Coli and something called Enterococcus. So we started out with Baytril for 6 days until they got the culture back to see what the infections were. Once they got the results they prescribed Clavamox for 10 days. She seemed to be doing better after about 3 days. She finished her doses this past Sat. and I will take a urine sample in in the morning. I have noticed that she is urinating just a little more frequently than she had been, but not like when I first noticed the infection. I know with the Cushing's and Addisons she cannot concentrate her urine so that along with not being about to fight infections all contribute to this. So we are doing the best we can. She is still on her 6 pills a day of the .1 mg Fludrocortisone and occasionally a small dose of Predisone. So I wanted to share and give an update.

kanga Guest

Glad to hear that she's doing well hope she will get better and better soon! Keep us update you and your doggy are always in my thoughts I pray for her faster recovery.

Oh that poor dear. It can be a real bugger to get rid of some infections, so I really hope that this one is completely gone. I know some have talked about being on 30 day antibiotic regimes to get rid of persistent infections.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

So we have managed to keep the UTI's under control for now. She is doing better. She is having an awful time with itching and allergies. If I go with a quarter pill of a 20 mg Prednisone she does better with he allergies however it does increase her hunger and thirst which is hard on her weight. She has been scratching so much in certain areas that she has bald spots under her outer coat. They do not bleed or anything. They do get red like a hot spot and when I can manage to put some hydrocortisone on her in those areas it seems to help some. I have tried a warm bath, but do not want to dry her skin out. I know with the Addison's she has very low cortisone in her body with makes her allergies worse. It is kind of a catch 22. The vet had prescribed an allergy medication that had some steroid in it, but she did not do well with it. It kind of caused her to pant worse, drink more and be very skittish. So I called and we stopped it. They said to just try Benadryl which does not do much but I am at a loss right now. Hopefully we can get this figured out soon and she will be less uncomfortable. Other than that things are okay. Hope this finds you all well.

Hi, My Rosie has pretty intense allergies also. Oddly enough Bag Balm helps to heal her breakouts very quickly and it's safe if licked. You just need a VERY small amount. Apply twice daily. I have been applying it to Rosie's skin 2 times pe day, to catch small little bumps before they get out of control.

Benadryl only helps short term for Rosie, meaning a couple of weeks. I have been rotating that and Zyrtec. Rosie Weighs 14.7 lbs. she takes 5mg. per day of Zyrtec. That is a 10mg. tablet cut into quarters. 2 1/2 mg twice per day. Benadryl dosage is 1 mg. her pound up to every eight hours, but I only give it to her twice with food. She takes one half of a 25 mg tablet with each dose. Benadryl is considered safe with Cushing's medications. i'm not sure about Zyrtec. Please consult your Vet for possible medication interaction before trying Zyrtec.

Ginger is too large for a onesie. Rosie wears one to bed to protect her skin from itchiness/scratching/biting during the night. Maybe a T-shirt would fit Ginger?

Kathy
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 08-05-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: To add

Okay, thank you Kathy. I will see about the Zrytec with the vet. A baby t-shirt would fit, but since she is Addisons now she has trouble regulating her body temperature and gets hot quickly so I am not sure. I may try one and see how she does. Also do you mean Bag Balm not Bab Balm. I have heard of Bag Balm and bought it when I was in Oklahoma. I do believe Tractor Supply sells it. I will keep you all posted.

Sorry, it is Bag Balm. I started a thread about it recently. It is great stuff!! Has a mild pesticide and antibacterial properties. It is also completely safe if licked. Rosie leaves it alone for the most part. Use VERY little.

They do make dog tank shirts with a netting material for air to circulate through. I have a few of them that used to be Buddy's. He had allergies (and Cushings) too. He would get very warm also, but his skin still needed protection. Rosie is not a Cush dog. At least not yet. She is only three years old.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8076
    Last edited by Budsters Mom; 08-05-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Hello everyone. Hope you are having a good Labor day weekend.
    So, Sept, 1st we celebrated Ginger's 13th Birthday with a trip to Rural King and a nice walk. She jumped a bunny and had a blast tracking him for a while. I will add a few pictures to her album tonight. She is doing okay. The vet has added a low dose of Prednisone to her medications to help her appetite. Although she does need to loose a few pounds, it has been a struggle to get her to eat in the mornings and sometimes once I get her fludrocortisone in her, which at times is a problem, she heads for the water bowl and sometimes drinks so much she goes out and spits up the water and sometimes her pills. So the Prednisone is working to help that not be an issue. She also has had some problems with shakiness, so in talking to the vet she wanted to try the Pred. first to see if it helps. If we change too much, we may not know the problem. The Pred, is working to help her eat most mornings. The shakiness is still there, but does not seem quite as bad or as often. Her itchiness continues and the vet said if it does that they have an allergy medication we an try, I am holding off hoping cooler weather and water will help with those. I will keep you posted. All in all, I believe she is doing well for her age an condition. The Prednisone dosage is 1/2 a tablet of 5 mg. once a day. She is still on the 6 .1 mg of Fludrocortisone.3 in the am, 3 in the pm. Thanks for always being there for us. Have a blessed night!

Happy 13 th Birthday, Ginger!!!!

Even though the Fludrocortisone does have some glucocorticoid (steroid) in its ingredients it may not be enough and the prednisone is needed. Has an ACTH stimulation test been performed recently to check her cortisol level?

Lori