Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings - Ginger has passed

Default Re: 10 year old female beagle just diagnosed with Cushings

No, I think I went in the the first two weeks, once a week, But it was basically watch and see how she does. After that it was a month, then 3 months unless I see she is not doing well. I am sorry I did not get back soon to you. I understand. It does sound like over kill. I am glad her electrolytes are normal. That is the main thing to watch for symptoms of if they start to drop. She can show signs of being shaken, lack of appetite, and lethargic.
    I hope this helps. I will try to do better checking back soon.

So I took Ginger in to the vet last week because I was seeing signs that her electrolytes were out of balance again. She was shaking a little but mostly just drinking too much water and usually at night and then wanting out anywhere from about 3-5 in the morning. So they did a blood draw and said her sodium was too low and her potassium was too high so increase her fludrocortisone from 8 pills a day to 10. 5 am 5 pm. It has helped with her shakiness, and the first night she slept until 5:30 the next morning. But since then she again is getting up around 2 in the morning and drinking water, then back to bed only to be up again drinking water around 3 and then wanting out. The rest of the day she seems to do just fine. Average amount of water and her energy level is fine. I continue with the quarter to half tablet of 5 mg Prednisone to help her eat and boost immune system. So this is a mystery. I hate to think of taking her back in and getting another blood draw to see if she needs her medicine yet higher. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kudos to you for picking up on Ginger's symptoms so quickly -- you are a great beagle Mom! I sure hope that a solution for the night time excursions can be found soon -- Abbie periodically has periods like that. I even made her go out in the rain last night at 11:00 just so she wouldn't have to go in the early morning hours ...
    Judy H. (Always "Maggie and Abbie's Mom" & now "Sadie Sue's Mom")
    Venice, FL

According to Dr Peterson it's not uncommon for dogs to become resistant to fludrocortisone, so since Ginger needed an increase in her dose it just may be that her system is able to overcome the effects of this drug. In this situation Dr Peterson recommends switching to Percorten-V.

Don't know if this was helpful at all but I am including a link to that article from Dr Peterson's blog: http://www.endocrinevet.info/2012/03...dogs-with.html

Hugs, Lori

Did they say if it takes some time for her body to adjust to the increase in medication? I wouldn't think it would but I wonder, as to why she still seems to be exhibiting some symptoms of electrolyte imbalance. I think you will want to get them checked again, just for peace of mind to know how she is doing.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

OKay, Thank you all for your input. I never thought about it possibly taking time to adjust to the increase. I will keep a watchful eye the next few days and see if there is any change. I also did not know about possibly becoming resistant to the Fludrocortisone.. I will read article and if need be talk to the vet. I did finally get them to compound her fludrocortisone so I can give her only 2 pills a day with same dosage which will be much easier. Also, Any thoughts on the best time to give her her Prednisone. I was doing in the morning so she would eat well with her fludrocortisone, but I am wondering if it is best to give it at night so she might eat right off in the morning. I usually give her her meds around 8:00 am and she will take them with a piece of boiled chicken or beef. But sometimes will not eat her breakfast until almost 11:00. Or any thoughts on possibly diving the dose and giving small amount in the morning and at bedtime. Thank you all so very much.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbread View Post
    Also, Any thoughts on the best time to give her her Prednisone. I was doing in the morning so she would eat well with her fludrocortisone, but I am wondering if it is best to give it at night so she might eat right off in the morning.
    I don't know if the effects of prednisone in people are the same for dogs but when I had to take it my reaction to it was an increase in energy (and appetite ) and this feeling of boosted "get up and go" came pretty quick after taking the prednisone. So for this reason I recommend giving it in the morning because if Ginger would have the same reaction as I did she may not be able to settle in at nighttime.

Hugs, Lori

oh gads that would be good if it affects Ginger like it did Lori.
    You'd go crazy with her being all over the house all night and not sleeping!
    She'd probably be pretty freaked to wonder why she can't sleep when everyone else is. I'd stick to mornings
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

p.s.
    I posted a picture of Ginger with my dad.

Awww, that girl owns the couch arm for sure.