Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes (for people)

Default Recipes (for people)

We all know our cushing furbabies love to eat, but they aren't the only ones. This thread is going to be for the human caregivers who love to experiment with food and new recipes too. So, if you have a recipe you'd like to share, share it here...Thanks!!

Default Re: Molly, 10 yr, shih tzu - lhasa aspo, cushing diagnosis

Impossible Pie

All the ingredients are mixed together and poured into a pie tin, but when it cooks it forms its own crust with filling This has a coconut vanilla taste like a coconut cream pie

Ingredients

2 cups milk
    1 cup shredded coconut
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    8 Tablespoon butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions
    Place milk, coconut, eggs, vanilla, flour, butter and sugar in blender (now see, I'm thinking you can just use a hand mixer to blend). Mix well.
    Pour into a greased and floured pie plate. Sprinkle nutmeg on top.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 45

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Here is another version using Bisquick:

Ingredients

1 cup flaked or shredded coconut

3/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup Original Bisquick® mix

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened

2 cups milk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

4 eggs

Directions

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch pie plate with shortening or cooking spray.
    2 In medium bowl, stir all ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate.
    3 Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

My mom's coconut cream pie recipe -

1 c sugar
    3 tbsp. cornstarch
    1/3 tsp. salt
    2 c milk
    3 egg yolks, beaten
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 tbsp butter
    2/3 cup grated coconut
    1 baked 9-inch pie shell
    coconut for topping

Mix sugar, cornstarch, and slat in sauce pan; add milk gradually, stirring in, and start to cook over medium heat. Add 3 - 4 spoonfulls of this mixture to the beaten egg yolks; stir into pan and continu to cook until thick, stirring often. Remove from heat. Add vanilla, butter and coconut. Top with Basic Meringue (recipe to follow) and sprinkle with grated coconut. Bake at 325 degrees until meringue is browned, about 5-10 minutes.

Basic Meringue

3 egg whites
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar
    6 tbsp sugar

Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry (should make nice peaks). Gradually add sugar and beat after each addition until sugar is partially dissolved. Place on top of cream filled pie, making sure to cover completely to the edges.

(The secret to this perfect, beautiful meringue is a very clean bowl and very clean instruments. Wash everything just before making the meringue, taking extra care that any oil, fats, etc are completely removed and all is dried well.)

I use this same basic recipe for all my cream pies - chocolate, strawberry, peanut butter - all of them and they are always delicious!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Re: My sweet little Ginger

I hope you like soup because is my all time favorite soup recipe inside or outside my house, store bought or restaurant bought. Here it is.

Portuguese Sausage - Kale Soup

6oz kielbasa, sliced (I use more)
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large clove garlic, minced (I use 2-3, love garlic )
    1 TBS olive oil (maybe 2-3tbs)
    1 lb fresh kale or 1 pkg (10oz) frozen chopped kale, thawed & drained (I use 1 bunch and use them all, they cook down A LOT)
    28oz reduced sodium chicken broth ( I use regular stock instead for deeper flavor and skip salt and works for me)
    4 C water (more or less)
    2 carrots, sliced
    1 tsp dried marjoram, crumbled
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 C uncooked long grain white rice (orzo works good too, maybe even tortellini, huh? Now that sounds good.)

Sauté sausage, onion and garlic in oil in a large pot over medium low heat, about 10 min.
    If using fresh kale, cut off stems and slice into 1-2 inch pieces. Keep stems separate. Coarsely chop fresh leaves.
    Add to the pot chicken broth, water, carrots, marjoram, salt, pepper and sliced fresh kale stems or frozen kale, if using. Bring to boil.
    Lower heat, cover and cook for 15 min longer. If using fresh kale, add leaves at this point along with rice to the pot. Bring to boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 min or until the rice is tender.

My friends, it's quite easy and so tasty that you will not be disappointed if you like soup. I'm passing this recipe down to my daughter for sure. The winter's here so give it a try anyways ,k?
    If you do, let me know how you like it, please.

Default Re: My sweet little Ginger

Now about the fool proof pie crust. I got this recipe from one of the local apple orchards here many years back and the pie king, my husband likes it and also it's been approved by my 87 yrs old mother in law. Here it goes.

Fool Proof Pie Crust

4 cups all purpose flour
    1 3/4 cup shorting (crisco)
    1 TBS sugar
    2 tsp salt
    Mix these together until crumbly

1 TBS vinegar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup water

After mixing dry ingredients until crumbly, mix in last three wet ingredients.Form balls. Make 2 - double 9 inch crusts. Extra crust can be frozen before rolling out for future use.

It's A LOT easier if you use an electric mixer. Enjoy.

Default Re: Squirt - Atypical; melatonin, lignans and Lysodren maintenance

For those who say they don't like cranberry sauce - it's only because you've never had "real" cranberry sauce. Here is a recipe (NOT canned!) that is sure to please the pickest of eaters -

1 bag fresh cranberries
    2 cups sugar
    2 large boxes of lemon jello
    1 medium can crushed pineapple, well drained
    1 cup pecans
    1/2 cup boiling water
    1 cup fine chopped celery
    1 heaping tbsp frozen orange juice

Day one - chop berries fairly fine, add sugar, and store covered in the fridge overnight.

Day two - add all the rest of the ingredients and store covered in the fridge overnight. Serve chilled.

This goes great with turkey, chicken, or pork and makes a delightful fruit salad any time of the year! You will make converts from those who think cranberry sauce is that stuff in a can they don't care for to cranberry sauce lovers with this recipe!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Default Recipes (for people)

Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat Recipe
    Makes about 4 servings

1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
    1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups half and half (or 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of heavy cream)
    3 cups chicken stock
    1/4 cup corn starch
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    2 bay leaves
    1 large carrot, peeled and chopped small
    4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
    2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook the butter, onion, and garlic on about medium heat until tender.

Slowly add the half and half and chicken stock. Mix the corn starch with a little bit of water until there are no clumps and add it to the rest. Add the nutmeg and bay leaves and cook on medium low until thickened.

Add the carrot and broccoli and simmer until tender. Discard the bay leaves. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

(I pureed this to make the broccoli bits smaller and remove the need to chew. I also didn't have heavy cream nor half-n-half so I just used whole milk.)

The Panera Bread restaurant serves this in a delicious bread bowl. Here is the recipe for the bread bowl when you are feeling adventurous. Also very nice for a family / friend shared winter lunch.

Quick and Easy Bread Bowls
    Makes 3 big bowls

1 1/2 cups warm water (Between 105ºF and 115ºF, hot enough to keep your finger in comfortably)
    2 tablespoons instant dry yeast
    1 tablespoon white sugar
    3 1/2 cups bread flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    A spray bottle of water

Combine the water and yeast. Let sit for a couple minutes. Add the sugar and flour and knead for 10 minutes by hand or with stand mixer with dough hook attachment. Add the salt.

Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place for about half and hour.
    Preheat the oven to 500ºF. Divide the dough into three lumps. Stretch each one into a tight ball, pinching the bottom with your fingers and sealing it off by twisting it on the counter.

Place on a greased baking sheet. Score the top and sprinkle with some salt. Spray with a spray bottle of water and allow to rise 15 more minutes.

Place in the oven. After 2 minutes, open the oven, spray the bread bowls with the spray bottle and turn the heat to 425ºF. Continue to bake 18 more minutes or until done.

To cut the bread bowls, use a knife to cut a circle directly downwards, then pull it out.

From Yammie's Noshery -

http://www.yammiesnoshery.com/2013/1...ddar-soup.html

http://www.yammiesnoshery.com/2013/1...ead-bowls.html

Enjoy!

Default Re: Recipes (for people)

No brainer chicken soup

Because I like things as simple and yummy as possible. No gourmet am I

I start with low sodium chicken stock 1 carton

Add a regular sodium stock 1 carton

Add in lots of veggies cut small (celery, carrot, whatever you want)

simmer over med-low heat till veggies are tender.

At the last minute add whatever kind of noodles, or rice or barley you want. (as they take less time to cook)

Don't over do it as it will soak up a lot of the stock, then add more chicken stock when you want to reheat some, to thin it up a bit or if the carbs soak up too much.

Seems to work for sick days around here.

Default Re: Recipes (for people)

Song, just wanted to let you know that I made your Portuguese Sausage and Kale soup last night and it was a huge hit with both hubby and me!!

I made two slight changes. I had a can of fire-roasted tomatoes sitting on the counter, so threw those in. I debated, because I knew that adding tomatoes would change the flavor a bit, but the broth still turned out super good. Also, I added mini-penne pasta in place of the rice. Because the pasta swelled and soaked up more broth than the rice would have, it probably turned out a bit thicker than your original recipe. As Rachael Ray would say, it was more like a "stew-p" than a soup. But totally yummy! There's still enough left over for our dinner tonight.

Thanks so much for this recipe. As hubby says, "It's a keeper!"

Marianne