Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Severe Calcinosis Cutis - desperate! Have you had any luck?

Default Severe Calcinosis Cutis - desperate! Have you had any luck?

Bogie was definitively diagnosed with Cushings at which time a single quarter sized patch of CC had manifested in a spot between his "sholder blades" He has been undergoing treatment for cushings with a board certified internist since Jan 22 and has since had his levels rechecked to confirm his dosage of Trilostane is appropriate - it is. As a preventive measure against his CC sores becoming infected he is also now on antibiotics. While that's great, his CC has just been spreading like mad up and down his backside, neck, and now beginning at the front of his ears. It oozes a great deal. Hard crusty patches then form, and if dislodged, reveal open, raw "gooey" sores. Hair comes off with some of these crusty, gooey chunks. It's awful and smells. I bath him in a medicated shampoo given to me by the vet. We took him to UC Davis last Tuesday. They took a biopsy just in case there was a better antibiotic they might be able to prescribe. We are still waiting to hear back. I've searched and searched the internet for human or canine sources of relief and/or treatments and they are just not out there. Many just state that beyond caring for the underlying cause, nothing can be done short of the baths. I've seen a list of suggestions, but nothing definitive. If you have tried something and it either worked or DID NOT WORK - I would be grateful to hear about it.
    Many thanks,
    Nancy

Default Re: Severe Calcinosis Cutis - desperate! Have you had any luck?

It's really tough when it's severe...you may want to try a little bit of milk of magnesia...shake it up and apply gently to the sores/affected area.

Hello Nancy and welcome to the forum.

We are sure seeing a lot of dogs lately with cc. Absolutely one of the most horrid side effects of cushings.
    Dawn's dog Butter has one of the worst cases, you can see her thread here:
    http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/98066424/file.html

One of the things that Davis gave her was the trizchlor spray, along with the medicated shampoo.
    I know she also has used tea compresses, like a camomile to sooth the skin and then put onsies on to keep them from being scratched at.

You didn't mention what the current ACTH level is at, but you want that post number down below 9 and with cc, it might even have to go down to under 5 to get it under control.
    Everyone says that it will get worse before it gets better.
    Addy, one of our moderators has used ketochlor shampoo.
    Renee is currently battling the same problem. Her thread is here:
    http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/show...t=5908&page=18
    There are quite a few others also.

Many of our members will be by to say hello and share in their experiences with the dreaded cc. They can tell you what has worked for them and what has not.

Welcome to the forum.
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Nancy, and welcome to you and Bogie!

Sharlene has gotten you off to a really good start. That dreaded calcinosis cutis can be a bugger to get under control. As Sharlene has mentioned we have quite a few members with dogs that have CC and I am sure they will be along shortly to share their advice.

DMSO is one medicine I have seen members use on their dogs that have CC. Here's a link to an article which discusses medications that can be used for CC: Dermatology Challege: Severe facial pruritus in a Boston terrier

I am sorry for the reasons that brought you here but so glad you found us. Please do not hesitate to ask all the questions you want, and remember we are here to help in any way we can.

Hugs, Lori

Ugh, the dreaded CC.

I have been battling the dreaded CC since November of last year for my girl pug. If you check out my photo album, I have some good pictures for you to look at. From your description, it sounds like the CC lesions are in the beginning stages, and yes, they are quite raw / oozy and painful.

There really is no 'cure' other than to get the cortisol low enough, for a long enough period, and just work through them. They say it gets worse before it gets better, and that is absolutely true. I think Dawn has had really good success with the trizchlor spray. I personally did not use any medicated shampoos or do any bathing until just recently. I did not want the sores to get any more moist than they were. I did do the tea compresses like Dawn suggested though, and I think those brought some relief. I also administered tramadol when they were most painful. It really is a process that must be worked through. My girl is finally showing some improvement, as they are past the very raw / open stage for the most part and drying up. Of course, I groomed her yesterday for the first time, and it opened up some of the newer ones. Her sores stretch from the top of her neck down to a few inches above her tail. She has longer/thicker hair than a boston or a boxer, so you cannot see her lesions except where I clipped the hair back. Take a look at Dawn's Butters. Her CC is possibly the most extensive ever seen.

We tried DMSO, and it was useless. Also, it smelled horrific and I could not use it more than a few weeks.

You don't say what the actual results of the ACTH are, or the dosage of trilostane. That would be very useful information for us, if you could gather it up and post it.
    Reneé
    Mom to Tobey, Ichiro & Skeeter. Foster mom for Polar Pug Rescue

“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance…there is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.”—Cardinal John Henry Newman

Oh Nancy I so feel your pain, CC is rough, once the damage has occured it has to go through it cycles. The damaged started long before you could see it and once the cycle starts its like a wild fire out of control. Be patient, I understand how hard it is to watch the progression of it and feel that your hand are tied. Once you get the hormones under control it will slowly ever so slowly stop creating new lesions, and the healing will once again slowly ever so slowly start. I use the spay that was mentioned and as.for bathing which I rarely do now I used Dr. Good pet organic. The drier you keep the lesions the better, but should your baby scratch and tear them open use a cold wet compress, you can use green tea or chamomile or both if you don't have plan old cold.water will work, first layer the wet compress then cover with a towel and then place an ice pack on top of the towel. This will cool the skin down (because the area burns like heck from scratching) and reduce inflammation , about 20 should do it and then if in a area the he can not lick.apply the ointment Davis gave you (hope they gave you something) it they didn't and you are in a pinch then good old neosporin can help, I keep a.box of hibistat handy should Butter scratch to clean the areas, you can find it at walgreens.

Hope this helps.

Good to hear you made it to Davis. Who is you IMS/ vet there?

Keep us posted with what Davis has to say.

Lots of hugs
    Dawn and Buttercup
    "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself"
    -Josh Billings

If I'm reading his ACTH results correctly it's at 4.0. He takes Trilostane 30mg 1x in morning with food.
    Heard back from UC Davis about biopsy of CC. it just confirmed he's on a antibiotic that works for it already. Alas. They are sending me the same spray mentioned in this thread. I am being very very carefulto gently towel Bogie down then keep him in a warm room until he is well dry after each bath. The UCD vet is also sending me a medicated conditioner to use after the shampoo to possibly help soften the really stiff crusty patches.
    <<sigh>> I get it now. What CC was in play up to whenever things start to turn around systemically from starting on the Trilostane must work its way through his system. That's why it gets worse before it gets better. Nothing to do but cope with it.
    BTW - he kind of does a weird half sneeze a lot these days. Odd.
    For what it's worth he has also been diagnosed with a mild heart murmer and slightly elevated blood pressure for which he is taking 1.25mg of Amlodipine 1x per day.
    Thanks so much to everyone who weighed in and offered encouragement and understanding. It's so kind of you. Thank you.
    Nancy

The ACTH stim results should have two numbers; 1st a pre/baseline number and 2nd is the post number.

So if his post ACTH number is 4.0, on the 30mg, then you're really right where you want to be with the cortisol. Hopefully the cc will clear up eventually and it sounds like Davis has got you on some good products. It just takes time.
    It's nice though to have a forum with others going through the same thing too. We have another boxer on here too, with cc. So, it's a good support system to have and compare notes of whats working and what isn't.
    Don't worry about asking anything at all.

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Your very welcome Nancy, that is what we do here. By the way what's the name of your Vet at Davis?

Dawn and Butters
    "A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself"
    -Josh Billings