Thread: There are no sad dogs in heaven.

Default There are no sad dogs in heaven.

Hi friends,
    My deepest sympathies to everyone dealing with the loss of their little angel. Im trying to prepare myself by reading a few books on grief and losing a pet. Has anyone read "There's No Sad Dogs in Heaven" by Sonya Patrick? Any other book recommendations? Thank you.

Default Re: There are no sad dogs in heaven.

Oh Meg, I'm glad you are asking folks for their suggestions, because they can end up being a help and a resource for many others here as well.

I remember when my Cushpup died, I was so overwhelmed with grief that I ended up at our local library and just sat down in the "Grief and Loss" section and started pulling down book after book in hopes of finding some comfort. I wish I'd made some notes at the time, because some things definitely helped more than others. But I was too overwhelmed to even take note of titles. I just pulled a stack of books over near a comfy chair and started thumbing through them.

You are at an especially rough place right now because you are struggling with worry over Abby as she is right now, and at the same time trying to prepare yourself for her loss that will come at some point in the future. So you are grappling with both the here-and-now and also with "tomorrow." You have an awful lot to be dealing with, that's for sure!

So I'll try to keep an eye out for writings that will help with both parts, and I'm hoping other folks will stop by with their suggestions as well.

Sending big hugs,
    Marianne

I haven't read any of the pet loss books myself, but I remember that LuLu's dad had a book he thought helped a lot after Lulu passed on. It had exercises in it too. I think he got the ebook from amazon.com, but here is a link he posted.

http://petlossguide.com/

There is no way that when the time comes and lose Abby that it won't be devastating. This is a childhood best friend and companion. I still remember 35 years later, losing my childhood friend and companion. I don't think it ever really leaves you, it is such a powerful emotion of grief. The thing to try and do is come out on the other side of the grief, remembering the good times, the fun, but it is hard.

I do want to remind you though, not to be too consumed with the future grief, so as to stop you from enjoying today and just being with Abby.

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Has anyone read "The Last Walk" or "Goodbye, Friend" or "When Only One Remains." ? I spent hours in the pet/grief section tonight

Hello,
    I have read:
    The Pet Loss Companion by Ken Dolan-Del Vecchio
    He leads the longest running pet loss group in New Jersey so his words, suggestions, stories are helpful.
    Healing After Loss by Martha Whitmore Hickman
    Very powerful and insightful on grief/loss and healing. Meant to be read one page per day. Gives you a thought/short story to latch on to for that day - to help get you through. Not written for pet loss but grief is grief whether its human loss or pet.
    Dog Songs by Mary Oliver
    A book of her poems about her current and past dog friends. A focus on nature as the forever thing in our lives and how that melds with our furry friends as the temporary thing in our lives. I don't like poetry but these poems really touched me.
    I have also read A dogs Purpose and its sequel A Dogs Journey...very light reads that are told from the dogs perspective!
    I don't read many books but reading has been a source of comfort over the 3 months since my little guy passed.
    Maybe others can add to this list.
    Take care
    Mike
    Last edited by drmvz; 02-21-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    Banzai. Dx diabetic june 2012. false positive uccr and lddst 6 months prior to a diabetes diagnosis. Put to rest 11.22.13 after receiving Dx. of pancreatic cancer. RIP little man 3.30.05 - 11.22.13

Mike, thanks so much for these great suggestions. I am going to place an additional copy of your reply on our "In Loving Memory" resources thread.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171

Marianne