Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Quincy, from Polish straydog to Dutch service dog

Default Re: A new thread, a new search...

Fay has that retriever look to her and definitely the retriever tail. The hello I'm happy, you are my friend, lets do something (i had a golden retriever, wonderful dogs).
    I think if this works out and I hope it does, that Marianne is right. Fay will just be Fay to you in no time at all. Plus she is on the training program already which is kind of nice.
    Can't wait to hear more.

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Saskia-How about an update?
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
    -C. S. Lewis

Sorry I haven't posted recently. On january 21st, I had all my (remaining) molars and premolars removed. Due to my excesive bleeding and fragility of my connective- and bone tissue it was done by a dental surgeon in hospital. Unfortunately, it took me a long time to recover as there were many complications such as for example a lot of (jaw)bonesplinters and an open "passage" between my upper jaw and nasal cavity. I develloped several abcesses and in spite of a strong anti biotic it wouldn't heal. So they put drains in the abcesses and now, almost 6 weeks later, I am finally recovering from this ordeal. I now can heal and regain my strength again, since my teeth will be removed April 21st.

With this knowledge, the following will make more sense

I spoke with the servicedog school and Fay is 51 cm/20 inch high (Mhina was 55 cm/22 inch) and weighs 23,5 kilo's/51 lbs (Mhina weighed 18 kilo's/39 lbs)
    So, Fay is smaller then Mhina was but heavier. She just started her training and so she won't be ready till at least the 1st of June. And well, with all this "teeth-stuff" going on, that suits me just fine.

Since she is "quite heavy", at least with my bleeding tendency, they will start right away with training her to be very careful when she steps onto my legs with her frontpaws when she has to hand me something. And before April 21st, (when they remove my teeth) she will come here for a visit so we can meet each other to see if we both have this "click"

That's about all I know and can tell for now

Saskia

Oh dear Sas, it sounds like you have really been through the ringer with this teeth issue.
    I do hope that you and Fay click. Do you think the weight will be an issue? I hate to think of you bonding with Fay and then it not working out. That would break all our hearts.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from here forward.
    hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Oh me, Sas! I've been dealing with teeth abscesses lately and when you said drains had to be put in I cringed and had sympathetic pain in my jaw! We fight so hard to keep the dang things but I gotta say, getting the bad ones out sure brings relief. Many years ago, I had a friend who had really bad teeth and got frequent abscesses. I watched her time after time take her fingers, press on her gums, and push the stuff up and out of the pockets without batting an eye! I couldn't even stand for the SHEET to touch my face - I cannot imagine! I SO hope this gets better very soon and you no longer have to face any more of this.

Boy! Fay is a solid gal, huh? She must be muscular. Have they been sending her to work out in a gym? I hope your visit with her goes well and the "click" happens for you both.

Watching hopefully for the next update but meantime, please, please take good care of yourself. Keep plenty of soft foods ready so you can keep your nourishment up during the teeth flares. Try oil pulling with coconut or safflower oil and rinse often with warm salt water. Listen to me - telling YOU how to take care of yourself.

Prayers and healing energies flying your way!
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Sharlene, that is why I want to meet with Fay first To see if she leaves bruises on me...and of course to see if we "like" each other But I have no clue when this will happen, the trainer went for a wintersport vacation. I think he will be back next week so I will probably talk to him then and will know more.

Leslie, without going into gross details I did what your friend did too, twice a day I would push the stuff up and out but they would fill back up even faster then I could empty them So eventually they put in the drains. That was quite the experience, trying to eat and talk with tubes hanging out of your mouth Okay, pretty tiny ones but still. Right now I have one bonesplinter sticking half out of my lower jaw...hope that when this one is gone, that will be the end of it, for now I will get full dentures in my upperjaw and partial dentures in the lower jaw. So in April they will "only" retract the teeth in my upper jaw. By now I am the master of soft foods with heaps of calories And I am proud to say I haven't lost a lot of weigth

And yes, Fay looks pretty sturdy. I could tell from the video that she was much more heavy then Mhina. Mhina was delicate like a ballerina, Fay is more built like a "truck" We'll see if this sturdy lady can be gentle....

Sas

Oh Saskia, what an ordeal for you!

I know you will be humble and deny this, but you are truly one of the strongest, bravest people I have ever had the privilege to meet. Truly!!!

In addition to the possible bruising, I am guessing there may be questions about Fay being able to ride in your lap? What a shame she is not a tinier girl. But she is meant to be herself, of course, and we will keep all fingers crossed that "herself" will be a good fit for you.

Anxiously awaiting further updates...
    Marianne

Marianne, it was inevitable. For many years now I have tried my absolute hardest to safe my teeth but the EDS won The good thing about it was, that my dentist tried every bit as hard as I did and as a result I can, at least for the time being, keep the teeth in my lower jaw. As you will know, the jaws will "shrink" a lot once the teeth are gone and as my dentist said: "You are still so very young so we must do whatever we can to at least save your teeth in your lower jaw for as many more years as we can". And I was like "Yippieeeeee...there are still some area's in which I am considered young" Another funny thing was that he mentioned that since several years now, he also works with dentures made in Hong Kong and that his experiences with them are very good. (they are quite a bit cheaper, that's why he mentioned them) I was like "Sure, if you say they are good. But I don't want to end up with new teeth and smile...and then there's a stamp saying "made in Honk Kong" on my new teeth"

I am not looking forward to April but on the other hand, the past 5 - 6 weeks were so bad, that it can't get a lot worse. And I survived these past weeks so I will survive what's coming as well

Hunble...? Mmmmm, usually yes Brave, strong...? No, not particularly I am extremely lucky to have an upbeat nature, it comes to me without any real effort. Of course I have my bad days, of course I feel like I want to die too after yet another one of my dogs died...of course. Brave and strong, to me, means a person for who it is a real strugle, for whom it doesn't come that easy. For example, both my mom and my sister suffer from severe depressions and for them, life is hard. For them, every day is a strugle. So to me, they are the strong and brave ones, to continue, to actually strugle every day... For me it's not like that. I wake up and the first thing I do is sing When I'm outside, I see beauty and feel peace and joy...it comes naturally, I don't have to do anything for it. But those who have to struggle on a daily base and still stand, they are the strong and brave ones according to me. I am just lucky

About Fay and riding in my lap. I hope, due to her size, that this won't pose a problem. Once she lies still, she won't cause bruises, I think. It's mainly when she has to step on my legs, either to hand me something or to come lay in my lap. That's why I asked that she would be especially trained in being extra careful and gentle...like anything else, it can be trained. And hopefully that will solve the bruising problem But for now it's wait and see.... As soon as I know more, I will let you (all) know

Sas

As promised, when I knew more, I would let you know. And I know more The trainer called today. He has been in contact with Fay's trainer (with whom she lives in the house, so Fay is not at the training/school's facility) and had asked her how Fay was doing. He also asked her what she thought of Fay especially her will-to-please? And it seems that, according to the trainer, Fay doesn't exibit a great will-to-please. She does do her job/training, but not overly exited This was not what he had expected since in the kennels (and as was to be seen on the video) Fay really seemed to enjoy "working". Anyway, we've decided that the best way to judge Fay, if she would be a match with me, if I enjoy her attitude etc is that she will come for a trial period to live with me I do not know the date yet but he will let me know asap. And then Fay will come to stay with me for a week orso...that way I can see/feel/sense/experience for myself what she is all about

Once I know the date, I of course will let you know

Saskia

Once she gets to know you, she will bend over backwards to please you, I'm sure. How could she not?!
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.