Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: question on first testing - Vetoryl or Lysodren?

Default Re: question on first testing - Vetoryl or Lysodren?

The formula for calculating a rescue dose of prednisone is 0.25 mg. per kilogram, and a kilogram equals 2.2 pounds. So 88 pounds equals 40 kilograms. Multiply that by 0.25 and you end up with 10 mg. of prednisone daily (or two of your pills).

You would not be giving the prednisone unless your dog became very ill: extreme lethargy, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. And I am guessing you'll be talking to us beforehand if things are going badly.

Just remember, the point of watching for even subtle changes in appetite and thirst is so that you will stop the Lysodren before your dog becomes visibly ill. If there is any doubt, you can always temporarily halt the Lysodren and start back up again -- better to be safe than sorry. And this is also why the recommendation is to wait to give the pill until after you've seen how your dog has consumed a meal and not give it before the meal. If you've given the pill and then your dog hesitates about eating, you're already too late -- you can't take that pill back again.

Marianne

Thanks. I feel very well prepared - all because of you guys.

One more little tidbit - when in doubt don't give the lysodren because it keeps working for 48 hours. Kim

Thanks...
    No signs at all... more hungry now

Today is third day and only have meds for five.

Guess ill get refilled tomorrow just in case...

(I replied 3 times... phone didn't send.. hope they don't end up posting)

Hi.

So just wondering if I should be concerned diamond is actually devouring food and drinking more now.

Tomorrow is day five.

Thanks

Default please ... is being more hungry thirsty on lyseodren ok

She's on day seven and not slowing down.... worse

I'm hoping some of our Lysodren users will soon be stopping by with their thoughts. But as we noted before you started loading, the dose your vet prescribed is lower than the normal protocol (you are dosing at 37 mg./kg. rather than at 50 mg./kg.). So our fear (which seems to be realized ) was that this would lengthen the loading period. What I don't know and what I'm hoping others can advise is whether they think you will ever achieve a full load at this lower dosing level, or instead whether you will need to talk to your vet about increasing the dose.

Marianne

OK.. I didn't know the lower dose meant she wouldn't load at all... just woykd take longer.

he's clueless to any of this and wanted her tested after 5 days period.

So I could have wasted $200 for nothing!!!!!!

Should I give her 2 pills instead of 1.5?

Thanks

Let's wait and get some feedback from other folks here. I know some stuff about Lysodren, but my personal experience was with trilostane. I don't know whether it would first be advisable to go ahead and perform an ACTH in order to see exactly what effect this dose is having prior to increasing (which may have been your vet's plan if I am charitable enough to think that he actually does have a plan...). I would like to hear what other experienced Lysodren users think.

Marianne
    Last edited by labblab; 02-07-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: To add.