Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Member Needs Help for Coco Joey

Default Re: New Member Needs Help for Coco Joey

No I don't think silly at all. Taking care of the pancrease takes precedence over the cushings. It's important to get that fixed, then can concentrate on the vetroyl dosage. I wouldn't even give it at all till the pancrease if fixed back up and that can take some time.

You'll be surprised at all quickly you'll get the hang of the forum. Scout around, ready, put your mouse over different symbols and they'll tell you what they do. Enjoy, it's a full immersion experience that gets easier as you use it. Any questions you have just ask and someone will pop in to answer.

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Coco Joey actually spent a little time in the yard yesterday and even barked at the Com Ed guy working next door! It's funny how you now find joy in the little things that you took for granted before. All the times I told her to shhhh in the yard and now I want to grab the camera cause she's barking! Have a good day guys, I will post some this evening.

So the Vetoryl must be kicking in a little, today it is 1 week on her new lower dose. Yesterday she moved around more than she has in a long time, but she seemed restless.

There has been some back and forth about her pancreatitis. While her numbers were high from her 2 test at the end of July and the end of August the vet felt no medicine was needed. She had her abdomen ultra sound on Wed and it came back OK. I insisted we start her on meds anyway. She is on tramadol, Pepcid and amoxo tabs.

The problem is I can not get her to eat. She was off Vetoryl for almost 6 weeks and her eating was poor at best. She has lost 11 lbs. Yesterday she ate 1/4 of a can of food for breakfast, no dinner, no snacks, nothing. Today nothing so far. Getting her to take pills is awful. Using a pill gun but still a battle. ... I have a call in for the vet.

QUESTION:

To those who had pancreatitis and Cushing's , was eating a problem or am I dealing with something no else has had. If you had the same situation as me, what did you ?

Yes usually with pancreatitis, there is a period where getting them to eat is a real problem. You have to find what works best for them, sensitive tummys, and then slowly transition them to their regular food. You want moderate protein and fairly low in fat.

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

When was her glucose last checked?
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

My boy, Harley, had chronic pancreatitis. We were never able to bring his spec cPL numbers within the normal ranges. His appetite would wax and wane, during the wane part I would try almost anything to get him to eat; baby food that contains no onions or onion powder, homemade chicken broth, and slippery elm bark which turned to be a God send. Also, feeding from my hand seemed to work better too.

I am glad you insisted on the pain meds for Coco Joey because pain can also cause inappetence.

Hugs, Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Did she have any other Cushing's symptoms other than excessive drinking/urinating? Did she ever have the ravenous appetite, panting, fur loss?
    Hope you can figure out a plan with your vet so Coco Joey can begin to feel better.

Barbara
    Hi Barbara,

Other than the drinking/urinating, being lethargic and test result, she had no other symptoms ...

[

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt's Mom View Post
    When was her glucose last checked?
    Looks like they checked glucose 03/07and it was at 96 and 08/26 it was 102.

Wink Re: New Member Needs Help for Coco Joey

Quote Originally Posted by Harley PoMMom View Post
    My boy, Harley, had chronic pancreatitis. We were never able to bring his spec cPL numbers within the normal ranges. His appetite would wax and wane, during the wane part I would try almost anything to get him to eat; baby food that contains no onions or onion powder, homemade chicken broth, and slippery elm bark which turned to be a God send. Also, feeding from my hand seemed to work better too.

I am glad you insisted on the pain meds for Coco Joey because pain can also cause inappetence.

Hugs, Lori
    Lori,

It's funny that you mentioned baby food. Yesterday when I was at Wal-Mart I bought baby food and unflavored Pedialyte. My family thought I was crazy ...then I showed them your post!

Can you tell me more about the slippery elm bark?

So the Vetoryl must be kicking in a little , yesterday was day 7. After Coco Joeys am Tramadol wore off (she was really groggy), she ate supper YEA! Then I noticed she started the pacing. This is the first time I had seen her do this the last few months. Then as I thought about it, I remember seeing her do it during her first Vetoryl attempt that was too high.

Is this a sign of things worsening?