Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: suspected Cushings

Default Re: suspected Cushings

I don't think Cinder has IBD she just got into some really bad compost full of parasites I think, but the Tylan did a wonderful job of clearing the bowel infection up.
    I decided to go ahead and give her a second dose of the trilostane this evening as she did so well all day. She has shown no signs so far of problems and is still begging me for food. I don't have to be anywhere this week so want to be able to move forward with the Q 12 hour dose as the vet ordered originally and it is a low dose anyway so HERE WE GO!! On that roller coaster again - I'm on the uphill side about to go over the top!!! Jan W.

You can do it! I am just very optimistic that with the dosage you have started with and the plan you have in place that everything is going to be fine for Cinder.

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I feel pretty good about this whole thing so far. But remain ever watching. Being a nurse I know how things can go south fast. So 3 doses is nothing yet.
    I could not have done this correctly without you guys - I will keep you posted. Jan W.

Jan:
    You can do this there is not a doubt in my mind. I know all is going to be well with you and your baby. You are very vigilant and that is what is needed. You are taking things slowly and that is the very best approach. Blessings
    patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Just to update you all - So far Cinder is taking the trilostane twice a day since Tuesday and she had one dose on Monday - so far so good. The only thing I have noticed is that she has decreased her water intake. Don't know if that is good or not as this early in may or may not be a good sign. She also will walk further out into the grassy area to urinate sometimes where as before she would only go a short distance away from the house. So is she able to walk better or just hold the urine a little longer before she needs to release. This might also indicate that she isn't feeling any increased arthritis type pain yet.
    I haven't noticed any lethargy yet. I took my girls outside yesterday and tried to do some AKC advanced teamwork obedience training and Cinder was still very attentive and wanting badly to get all the treats. I think they enjoyed the stimulation and we had fun. I had stopped all of Cinder's training some time back because she was refusing to do jumps and certain pieces of agility equipment so felt she had some arthritis, but now we know there was more to all that.
    Will keep you informed. Jan W.

Sounds pretty good Jan. Just keep watching and the ACTH test will tell us where she is.
    love,
    addy, zoe and koko

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton

Memory is the power to gather roses in the winter

Cinder was doing well on the Trilostane, but had a small amount of digestive upset with gas and maybe 30cc of loose stool and possibly discomfort. I have never seen her act like she was uncomfortable before -- ever --- even when she had that parasite problem recently. She's had no vomiting or decreased appetite or lethargy. I do think I noticed she might be feeling a little less anxious to walk because of the decreased steroids. This happened Friday night.
    So I think you guys were right in that she might get digestive upset from the trilostane so I will back off the trilostane for now and restart the tylan for a few days and see what happens. She had a normal BM Saturday morning and today. Maybe restart the Trilostane with the tylan at same time. I just don't want to put too many things into the fire so I can determine what the trilostane is doing to her.
    It was nice that she wasn't constantly into the water or needing out to pee frequently. I will let you know how things are going later
    Jan W.

Jan:
    I know some use the Pepcid when giving the Trilostane as their babies get stomach upset. Have you tried that? I cannot use it as it makes Tipper feel worse. Some dogs just can't take it so I went to the Slippery Elm bark. Maybe that would be worth a try. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Someone mentioned the pepcid before and I may think about that also. I gave her a pepcid years ago when we were going through a lot of digestive problems and she was bringing up bile, but it didn't seem to help then but this is a different thing going on. I eventually changed her diet to raw after having one vet tell me he thought she had Myasthenia Gravis and doing an GI series and finding that she had either slow emptying of the stomach or slow bowels - I just don't remember - Anyway after a lot of diet changes, she has done very well on raw for years with no problems until she got into rotten garbage in my compost pile this summer. We got that cleared up. OR DID I!!! I guess I will have to look at the actions of the trilostane and see why it affects the bowels. Within a couple days after starting the trilostane, I noticed that she had some gas problems starting in and then the small loose bowel turned up.
    Anyway, for a dog that was supposed to have Myastenia Gravis - she sure has done well for 10 more years. I think he was young and eager to solve our problems and threw that possible diagnosis out there to impress us with his knowledge. Of course she didn't have that disease, but look where we are now. Jan W.

Jan,
    Cinder sounds just like Daisy when we began the Trilogy. The gas episodes were absolutely FOUL.

Tylan is effective in very small doses and can be used long term. Daisy weighs 13lbs and takes 1/16th sprinkled on breakfast and dinner. It has worked wonders.
    Valerie

//^ ^\\ //^^\\
    (/(_•_)\) (/(_ "_)\)
    /''*''\ / "*"\
    (,,,)^(,,,)​ (,,,,)^(,,,,)
    ❤ ♥
    Daisy Bella

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes." - Author Unknown