Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it normal to feel so much pain? (idiopathic vestibular syndrome)

Unhappy Is it normal to feel so much pain? (idiopathic vestibular syndrome)

Hi guys,
    my name is Meghan and I'm 23 years old. I live with my wonderful family and our incredible dog, Abby. I found this site while searching for some answers and some comfort on the web. Ive never felt this kind of pain or fear in my life... watching my beloved dog, slowly, but steadily begin to fade away.

I adopted Abby when she was 1 year old. We rescued her from an abusive family who beat her and left her malnourished. She was scrawny, but beautiful. She is a mutt, part lab, collie, spitz, and retriever. Her coat is white with Carmel coloring on her ears and back. Instantly we fell in love with her and did our best everyday to give her the most incredible life possible. She just turned 14.

She was diagnosed with Cushing's in early spring of 2012. She was so hyper and anxious, panting so much, drinking and peeing all day and all night. Unable to sit still. We've had her on medicine and and shes been doing well, she runs every day and has a fantastic diet regimen... until our world turned upside when she had a stroke and suffered a very severe and very traumatizing case of "Old Dog Vertigo" also known as Vestibular Syndrome. I can't express in words how hard it is. My heart breaks when I see her suffer but the doctor said she is making remarkable improvements and could fully recover.

Does anyone here have experience with idiopathic vestibular syndrome or "old dog vertigo." ? Does anyone know how this kind of pain feels? I don't know how to feel better.

mytil is offline Administrator and always In Loving Memory

Default Re: Is it normal to feel so much pain? (idiopathic vestibular syndrome)

Hi and welcome to our site. I am very sorry you and your Abby are having to face IVD on top of Cushing's.

There are some treatment options (management protocols) that will help with any nausea and disorientation.

What has your vet mentioned about this?

Keep us posted
    Terry

Hi Megan and welcome to you and Abby!

We have had members who faced IVD with their babies and I hope they will be along to share their experiences with you soon. These pups do typically return to normal - it just takes time and TLC, which I am sure you have in spades.

I can so relate to your fear and anguish. In March, my Squirt (15 this Feb) had a seizure from a med she was on (Proin) and for 2 months it was touch and go....I knew I was losing her. Squirt is the light of my world and the very idea of facing a single day without her is unbearable. But today, my baby is better, almost back to her old self - she even woke up at 2am wanting to play earlier this week! So don't lose hope, honey. The love we have for our babies is pure magic and can do miracles.

I'm glad you found us and look forward to learning more about both of you as time passes. Please know we are here anytime - someone is online almost 24/7 and we have some excellent hand-holders here. In fact, you simply cannot beat the support you will find here at K9C. Never hesitate to ask questions or reach out your hand - we will be right by your side.

Hugs,
    Leslie and the gang
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Hi Meghan:
    I believe my Tipper has had episodes of this. She tilts her head down and to the right, and her tail goes a million miles an hour, she starts circling, and sometimes falls down. She has had maybe 8 episodes, she had one about a week and a half ago. At first I thought she was having a seizure, and then I saw a dog on YouTube that had this, it was doing the exact same thing she does. I try to get close to her, and make sure she does not fall and get hurt when she does this. I am sorry you are experiencing all these problems with your beloved dog. It is the most terrible thing to watch the physical changes in your dog from all this. I am sad and want to cry every time I look at my girl too. I always have flash backs of her when she was so strong and muscular. She is just a shadow of herself. This disease robs you of your baby little by little each day, it is hard to get thru this at times. I hope you and you baby get thru all this, and that it all turns out better. Blessings
    Patti
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Hello and welcome from me too.
    I am sorry for the reason that brought you here, but so glad you found us. You have come to the right place! There are many K9Cushing's angels standing by to help and stay with you every step of the way. They love details, test results, any information you can get your hands on. The more the better. We will do all we can to help. So again welcome Meghan and Abby,

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Hello Meghan and welcome to you and Addy.

I know this is scary, but yes, they can and do recover from IVD. As Leslie says, it can take quite a bit of time though.
    14 years, in a wonderful home, with wonderful care. What a wonderful life to have after such a rough start. Kudos to you and your family for rescuing her.

It is very scary when you see them going through this and I am sure the stroke scared you too.
    Sometimes a bit of a head tilt will remain and be one of the last things to go away. Sometimes, it stays with them. Not causing pain, but more of an annoyance. Did she have any lasting physical effects from the stroke? Sometimes that too can cause one side to be weaker than the other.

Sharlene and Molly Muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Hi Meghan,

A belated welcome to you and Abby from me as well. I have no experience with IVS so my knowledge of this condition is very limited but I did want to provide a link to a old thread that members did discuss vestibular syndrome: http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1902

Hopefully it can help.

Love and hugs, Lori

Hi Meghan,
    Sorry to hear that Abby has suffered a stroke and vestibular syndrome. My dog Brin (who doesn't have cushings) had a vestibular episode about 3 years ago. You can read it and the replies in the link that Lori provided above. It is very frightening to watch them fall over in a heap when they try to move but, as far as I am aware, they don't feel any pain from it. It is more like a neurological thing. How long has Abby had the symptoms now? Brin recovered in less than a week and is now nearly 17! He still has neurological problems with falling over and wobbliness but we are not sure if it is caused by a problem with his brain or spine, or both. He now has kidney issues which doesn't help his weakness but he is a really strong dog and fights everything that is thrown at him and still gets about and eats well and is happy.
    I understand your fear and pain in watching Abby suffer but hopefully she will soon start to feel better and be more like her old self.
    Linda

Hi everyone,

Wow thank you for the wonderful feedback! I couldn't remember my username so I haven't been able to log-on since the night of this post!

This is a truly wonderful website. I can't believe how many lovely people have responded and helped me. It's so nice to have a welcoming place where people are so understanding and compassionate.

Abby is now fully recovered! The vet said IVB is common in lab mixes as they get older. He kept assuring us, but we kept taking her in, fearing for the worst. About a week after it began, she got noticeably better. She was eating and drinking on her own and walking normal. She was even attempting to climb the stairs!
    After two weeks, I began taking her on walks through our neighborhood again. The more we walked, the less her head tilted to the side! I love her more than ever and have never been more thankful for her.

I'm told the dark side to this illness, is that once it occurs, it tends to come back. Has this been true for anyone? Abby is fine now, but she is drinking alot and panting quite a bit. She is back on her Cushing's meds and going on daily walks. Does anyone have nutrition or supplement tips? Has anyone seen IVB come back?

I want her to live as long as possible.

Thank you all!

xoxo Meg

Quote Originally Posted by goldengirl88 View Post
    Hi Meghan:
    I believe my Tipper has had episodes of this. She tilts her head down and to the right, and her tail goes a million miles an hour, she starts circling, and sometimes falls down. She has had maybe 8 episodes, she had one about a week and a half ago. At first I thought she was having a seizure, and then I saw a dog on YouTube that had this, it was doing the exact same thing she does. I try to get close to her, and make sure she does not fall and get hurt when she does this. I am sorry you are experiencing all these problems with your beloved dog. It is the most terrible thing to watch the physical changes in your dog from all this. I am sad and want to cry every time I look at my girl too. I always have flash backs of her when she was so strong and muscular. She is just a shadow of herself. This disease robs you of your baby little by little each day, it is hard to get thru this at times. I hope you and you baby get thru all this, and that it all turns out better. Blessings
    Patti
    How old is Tipper?