Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Boston Terrier in Phoenix

Default Re: Boston Terrier in Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Boston View Post
    Thanks Jen for asking. She returned back to normal about one minute after the seizure and was completely fine once we got home. It is not pleasant to watch though and I am just thinking through the process of how it might be related to the Cortrosyn injection.
    I hear her drinking in the background as I type…I'm sure her levels are up again. Maybe mini load her Lysodren or just increase her weekly doses?
    Until I hear back from the vet regarding those numbers I'm just giving extra hugs and chicken … I am cutting her chicken with rice and green beans to keep the calories down.
    Seizures are common in Cush dogs. If they increase in frequency and length I would talk to the vet but otherwise carry on.

Re the next step re dosing - it depends on the acth results so please post them. And yes - the hugs and extra chicken do help. Hang in there. Kim

Oh My Gosh I can't believe these numbers.
    ACTH Pre 6
    ACTH Post 19!

That explains why her eating and drinking have been off the charts ( and so is her output ). Looking back, I think her eating increased about a week before I really acknowledged it … I'll need to be more observant.
    Her last day of her original 15 day Lysodren induction was last Dec 31, so I am guessing that long half life carried her thru Jan, and then in Feb she creeped up.

I buy the Lysodren at Walgreens ( not compound pharmacy ) and I have been giving it with fat, we've never missed a dose.

Her new Lysodren dose is to be 250mg twice a week and 125mg once a week for a total weekly dose of 625mg. Does any body else take that high of dose? The vet says maybe we can decrease it to 500mg/week after a few weeks depending on response.
    Shelly and Lucy
    Last edited by Arizona Boston; 03-04-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    Lucy: 11 y.o. Boston, 17lbs. Diagnosed 10/2012, on Vetoryl 30 mg until 8/2013, then increased to Trilo 40mg , off all meds 10/2013. Jan 2014: On Lysodren 125mg 3 x week (15 day induction). March 2014 Lysodren 625mg/week

Kim, thank you. I mentioned to her Vet about the seizures and she said same as you did… She said to keep a log of them and probably no action will be needed unless they increase to more than one a week, or last a long time. So far we've just seen the 3 in about a year.

Renee, I was driving so I put the flashers on and pulled off to the side of the road and just stared at her like I couldn't believe it was happening. I'm glad I wasn't in heavy traffic. I don't think the dog is aware of them are they? Like they are not painful or scary for the dog … just the human.
    Lucy: 11 y.o. Boston, 17lbs. Diagnosed 10/2012, on Vetoryl 30 mg until 8/2013, then increased to Trilo 40mg , off all meds 10/2013. Jan 2014: On Lysodren 125mg 3 x week (15 day induction). March 2014 Lysodren 625mg/week

You were right, it was creeping back up. Drat! So, mini load?

Seizures sure do scary the crap out of us. I don't know how the dog feels about them, and maybe different types of seizures have different responses too.

I don't like them though and I know that is an emotional response, not a logical one on my part.

Hopefully she won't have another one for a good long while!

hugs,
    Sharlene and Molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Oh so sorry to hear Shelly! AnnaBelle had 3-4 seizures on the Trilostane, but none on the Lysodren (but she was only on that for 5 months before passing). They were never long, and they were never violent, but super scary.

Sending you and Lucy positive vibes! <3
    Crystal-mommy to Tyson(RIP), AnnaBelle(RIP),Kaya and Pugsley
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Hi Crystal
    Thanks for checking in on Lucy. Hope you are doing well with your new Bug!
    I'm going with the idea that the seizure happened because her cortisol levels were up but haven't seen any confirmation on that.
    You know how small their little "baseball" heads are…there would be much room for any tumor in there!

She is starting on her stronger dose on Lyso today (250mg).

Shelly and Lucy

Praying for good results!!!
    Crystal-mommy to Tyson(RIP), AnnaBelle(RIP),Kaya and Pugsley
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams

Hope this does the trick for her!

hugs,
    Sharlene and molly muffin
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Boston View Post
    Eek… I haven't posted in a long time.

Here is a short version of Lucy's Lysodren Induction.
    She took 125mg AM and 125 mg PM for a total of 250mg/day. She did not have any side effects of nausea/vomiting/diarrhea. I did give Pepcid the first few days. On day 16 she did not eat her breakfast kibble. After days of watching and waiting, I was starting to let my guard down and it almost went over my head. I just thought she wanted a treat instead. A voice from this forum spoke in my head " NO CUSH DOG LEAVES KIBBLE IN THE BOWL" ( author unknown, but thank you).
    Pre 2.9
    Post2.9
    I'm a bit confused about Lucy's original loading dose, so would you clarify Lucy's Lysodren dose for me, was she taking 125mg twice a day, every day for 15 days or 125mg twice a day, 3 times a week for 15 days?

Hugs, Lori

I see what you are seeing….. on my signature line below. Her induction was for 15 days taking 125mg am and 125 pm for 15 days, and then after that cutting down to 125mg 3 times a week. Maybe I should redo that note. I just wanted to let people who are loading their dogs that mine took what I thought was a long time…15 days.