Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autumn, Cushings and/or Diabetes

Default Autumn, Cushings and/or Diabetes

Hello
    I just signed on to K9 Diabetes Forum and was kindly referred here with my questions. This is long but I sincerely appreciate any input/advice. I will be discussing this in more detail with my vet tomorrow. Thank you in advance!

My dog is going to be 6 years old next month. When she was 4 years old, I had taken her to a vet for regular check up, who looked at her and said oh maybe a Cushing dog..... without any testings at all. She is a Dachshund mix, medium size dog but has that Dachshund round appearance but she is not pot bellied as pictures on line show of Cushing dogs. Our dog was also very over weight at this time. I finally found the vet we go to now and we have been very happy here. At that time, he said no cushings.

In January, she started drinking water excessively and going out at night to relieve herself. I took her to the vet and they diagnosed Diabetes. She is now 29 pounds and currently on 12 units of Vetsulin 2xs a day. She has been hard to regulate.

Since she has been treated for diabetes, we see a marked difference in her. She is a rescue dog and has always been very nervous. Now she seems happier and is no long over weight. She is a mellow dog, sleeps a lot but comes running whenever I say time for walk Walks with a bounce in her step.

She recently was tested for Cushings due to being resistant to insulin. I do know, her last blood sugar number when checked was 255, this was 4 hours after injection and breakfast. How do I get information as to how many units of Vetsulin for 30 pounds is considered resistant?

She was there all day for the ACTH Stimulation. I made a mistake....She had the dexamethasone suppression test. The Dr.called and confirmed Cushings.

The Dr. said, the Cushings is what has led to her having Diabetes.

She had a UTI and was on clavamox at the time of the ACTH Stimulation test. I read that a UTI could raise Cortisole levels. She has had 2 UTIs since January. Also, one in the fall.

I do have confidence in my vet. He has been wonderful. I do not want him to think I question his diagnosis. However, I do not want to put my dog on the Trilostane unless we are 100 percent certain. I read this can be dangerous.

If she does have Cushings and I don't treat her immediately , I hurt her. I want to do the right thing for my girl. If I don't treat her immediately I could be risking her to go blind from no treatment due to high blood sugar levels?

Should I have another test done or would that be putting her through another test unnecessarily. The more I read, the more confused I become as Diabetes can have similar symptoms as Cushings. Could she have had Cushings at the very young age of 4, as the first vet thought just by looking at her.

As you can tell, I'm confused and very worried about doing the right thing. Thank You for taking the time to read and respond!
    Last edited by Autumn; 05-30-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Default Re: Cushings and/or Diabetes

Welcome! I know that others will be by shortly to offer their support and advice. I just wanted to let you know that I have deleted a second "duplicate" thread that you had posted. I am guessing that you posted the second thread because there was a delay in your seeing THIS thread appear on the forum. I am also guessing that this is because you have not yet completed your registration process. When that happens, your posts are "held" for approval by a Moderator prior to being released for public viewing.

You should have received an email sent to the address with which you registered with us...once you respond to that email, your registration will be complete. So please go back and check your emailbox (and also any spam folders) to see whether you have a confirmation email awaiting you.

Marianne

Hello
    Thank You for the welcome.
    I did make the mistake of posting before completing registration in email. Thank you for fixing this.

Hello Autumn (is that your name?)

Glad you found us. We have seen very young pups with cushings so while it isn't common it does happen. If you could - get a copy of the exact test that was done to diagnose cushings and the numbers on it.
    You are smart to want to confirm the diagnosis prior to starting any medication.

The best thing you can do is to read up and get educated on the disease so that you can understand the vet, ask questions and "be your dog's voice" thru this. You are off to a great start. If you go to our Reference thread there is a ton of information including info for dogs with both diabetes and cushings. YOu aren't alone so read, ask questions and keep us posted!

Kim

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190

Hi Kim
    Thanks for the welcome. Actually, Autumn is my dog's name.

It's a lot to take in. You are right. It's time to research and learn. I will be discussing with my vet with more information and knowing what to ask. I will get the numbers on the ACTH test and post them here tomorrow.

Also, after advice and reading of the forums, I'm now thinking that we should attempt to regulate her blood sugar more first. Then retest Autumn when she is better regulated BG and free of UTI.

Thanks so much!

Hi Kim and welcome,
    We deal with Cushings and Diabetes at our house....I haven't started up Lady's thread here yet....but I'll get to it!
    Being free of the UTI and trying to regulate her blood sugar first is a good idea. But IF your dog has Cushings it will be impossible to regulate the diabetes.
    We had Cushings first....excessive drinking, urinating and eating were Lady's only symptoms. She has had problems for the last 6 years with skin infections on different parts of her body. She's on Trilostane and NPH.
    Hope you get some answers soon,
    Jo-Ann & Lady

Hi Autumn's Mom? Dad?,

I just wanted to Welcome you... Unfortunately, I can't give much input in your situation, since Diabetes is in the picture. But, since your vet has mentioned Trilostane... I agree with you that you do want a definitive diagnosis before treatment with Trilo (or Lysodren, for that matter). If later, you do get a definite dx, and decide to use Trilo, I wonder if you should consider having Autumn's estradiol (hormone) levels checked through the Univ. of Tenn, Knoxville (UTK) first. Trilostane is known to increase this hormone level and can cause issues similar to regular cushing's. Maybe someone else can give their opinion on this.

But for now, we'll wait for those test results .

-Susy

Hi Kim, Jo-Ann & Lady and Susy
    Thanks so much for your replies and information . We appreciate it so much. It's been very stressful. I think taking it slow is the way to go. Check into getting her blood sugar regulated. I learned today she is not near the numbers to be considered resistant yet.

I'm going to read the Reference thread and learn a lot more so I can make informed decisions. I sure have a lot to learn. LOL

I'll be back with the results.

If she has both, I hope it's ok, Joann and Lady, to ask you many questions.

I hope all your dogs are doing well!

Anna and Autumn

Hi Anna, welcome to you and Autumn.

Please do work through the resources. And then before comencing a lot of diagnostics please come back and muse with us.

There are way too many pups put through too many tests without need.

Scott

Cushings can certainly bring on diabetes as a complication; and the cushings makes it very hard to control the BS levels. My vet keeps close tabs on my Aussie's glucose level, which has occassionally been on the high side in the last year. Luckily, I control her diet and give her some supplements that seem to be helping.

But, read up first, and I'd say clear the UTI. No need to rush, but if the ACTH is positive, that is a pretty strong indicator of Cushings.

Good luck,

Jeff