Page 127 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1473

Thread: 9 Year Old Maltese with Cushings

Default Re: 9 Year Old Maltese with Cushings

Crossing my fingers that you've finally found the right vet for Gracie!
    Valerie

//^ ^\\ //^^\\
    (/(_•_)\) (/(_ "_)\)
    /''*''\ / "*"\
    (,,,)^(,,,)​ (,,,,)^(,,,,)
    ❤ ♥
    Daisy Bella

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dog's eyes." - Author Unknown

Wow, I was told that Lysodren was cheaper than Vetoryl. There's a pharmacy here locally that sells it so I called and got the price. They sell it in 500 milligram tablets for $170. 30 tablets. Are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by KennyJ View Post
    Wow, I was told that Lysodren was cheaper than Vetoryl. There's a pharmacy here locally that sells it so I called and got the price. They sell it in 500 milligram tablets for $170. 30 tablets. Are you kidding me?
    It's sold at walmart too, and maybe costco, and lots of other pharmacies. The upfront loading cost will be more than vetoryl, I think, but the maintenance phase should be less, because you will not be dosing every single day. Once you are in maintenance, you can order it online and get it for much cheaper.
    Reneé
    Mom to Tobey, Ichiro & Skeeter. Foster mom for Polar Pug Rescue

“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance…there is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.”—Cardinal John Henry Newman

I sure hope so. Wow!! I am already paying close to $100 a month on Vetoryl.

It is also usually less expensive to use because pups on Lyso don't typically require as many dose adjustments as those on Vetoryl do. With every dose change you have to start the monitoring test schedule all over - 2 weeks, 30 days, etc. Lyso typically requires less testing to monitor than Vetoryl. Bear in mind also that you will use ONE of those 500mg tablets a day during the load then maybe 2 tablets a month on maintenance. So 30 tablets will more than likely last longer than a month.
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Kenny, I've forgotten Gracie's current weight, could you remind me? The reason I'm asking is that those 500 mg tablets of lyso are whopping huge for a little girl like Gracie. You will probably have to be cutting them into quarters at the least. It may be easier if you get the lyso compounded in smaller doses so you don't have to stress over cutting those pills. Harley weighed only 14 lbs, & this is what I did. The compounded version was so much easier to deal with. Post her weight I can give you an idea of what her loading should be.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

Debbie, she lost a little weight. She is right at 10 lbs. I think Dr Grant told me a 1/4 pill in the morning and 1/4 in 12 hours. Funny thing, I come home today thinking she would have urinated all over the place and I couldn't find one wet spot on her pee wee pad. She's been off the Vetoryl since Friday. Did you get the compounded version from Diamondback?? If so how much did it cost you?? He said he didn't have a problem using a compounded version.

Kenny, it's been a long time since Harley, so all I can tell you about price is that it didn't seem to be that bad. Yes, I used Diamondback because they're local for me.

To calculate a loading dose, you want the weight in kilos, so divide by 2.2. For Gracie, this gives 4.5 kg. You want the loading dose to be as close to 50 mg/kg body weight, so this would 227 mg. total daily which is split into 2 doses. Dr. Grant's figure of 1/4 pill twice a day is pretty close to what you want being 250 mg. IMO, I think you would be better off getting the lyso compounded with a dose of 110 mg. per capsule for a daily dose of 220 mg. The 220 works out to be 48.9 mg/kg., just about perfect.

The one thing I didn't mention about lyso & having to cut pills. You need to be wearing gloves, & have a dedicated pill cutter for this purpose. This is a very strong drug that you don't want to be absorbed through your skin. So you see. the compounded capsules, gets rid of this problem, too.

I don't want to overload you with info right now, but as you start the load with Gracie, & get her loaded, I have some other suggestions as to how to make life a little easier when dealing with these tiny babies.

I will be watching for your updates.

Debbie
    Mom to 2 Cushing's angels

This drug just seems so much more dangerous than the Vetoryl.

It only seems more dangerous because vetoryl has the reputation as the 'safe drug'. It's not true. Both drugs can cause a lot of damage when handled incorrectly.

The suggestion of compounded lysodren is an excellent idea. I think you'll get a much better price and less headache with splitting pills.

Are you doing a 30 day washout? How are the other symptoms?
    Reneé
    Mom to Tobey, Ichiro & Skeeter. Foster mom for Polar Pug Rescue

“Animals have done us no harm and they have no power of resistance…there is something so very dreadful…in tormenting those who have never harmed us, who cannot defend themselves, who are utterly in our power.”—Cardinal John Henry Newman