Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: My Sweet Angel Peg

Default My Sweet Angel Peg

Some of you already know a little bit about my Peg even though I have never before started a thread that is her very own. But today I really need help, so here goes!

Here's the quick summary...Peg is a 7 1/2 year-old spayed black Lab. She does not have Cushing's. She does suffer from a seizure disorder, though, which fortunately has been totally controlled on phenobarb for over a year. She had acute pancreatitis last June, and has been maintained on a low-fat diet ever since. She also suffers from seasonal allergies which are actually worse in the winter than in the summer.

OK, fast forward to Friday morning. We awoke to find one of her front forepaws totally swollen, raw, and oozing. Obviously, she had been licking it overnight, but I think that was because the paw was infected and not vice versa. Immediately went in to the vet and had it x-rayed: no fracture or obvious tumor issue. No obvious cause for it, but the paw is definitely infected -- maybe a bug bite? She got an anti-inflammatory injection and was sent home with liquid antiseptic to bathe the paw in, and also oral antiobiotic. The paw was already looking better yesterday, and continued to do so this morning. Nothing has been out of the usual today, although both she and Luna did get their monthly dose of Sentinel, which she has taken her entire life with no problems.

Within the last hour, Peg has become incontinent. Wherever she sits or lays down, she leaks a puddle. I took her out to pee, and she did pee a great amount, but then came back inside and immediately dripped again when she sat down. I am beside myself, because this is not something I've ever dealt with before. And she is a BIG dog with a lot of pee (and our entire house is carpeted ).

The only thing I can think is that perhaps the anti-inflammatory injection she got on Friday is somehow causing this. I assumed it was a steroid shot, but I don't know for sure. My vet did say that he didn't want her on any steroids long-term so we were not sent home with any. She has NEVER peed or leaked in the house a single time since she was a pupppy.

I am heading off to Petsmart to try to find a temporary diaper fix. I will call our vet first thing in the morning. But any thoughts or suggestions will be so welcome! Has anybody else experienced total incontinence that literally came on overnight?

Marianne

Default Re: My Peg is suddenly incontinent

Oh, poor Peg, poor Mom!

My first thought would be the shot - that it did contain a steroid and this is the result. If so, hopefully, when the med is out of her system this will stop.

If there is inflammation in the urinary tract, the magical SEB can help there, too. But I don't know that it will help with the actual incontinence. If I find anything else that may help, I'll let you know.

Hugs and gently belly rubs!
    Leslie
    "May you know that absence is full of tender presence and that nothing is ever lost or forgotten." John O'Donahue, "Eternal Echoes"

Death is not a changing of worlds as most imagine, as much as the walls of this world infinitely expanding.

Oh Marianne, I am sorry to hear this. From my reading, one of the side effects of pheno is incontinence and then adding a steroid, my guess is that the combination of the two is causing the incontinence.

Sending huge hugs and hoping that this resolves fast.

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and more hugs,
    Lori

I did have one experience like that - when Annie was given a B12 injection. She was peeing bright yellow buckets for 24 hrs. I started taking straight B12 myself and it does do that. Sharing just in case the vet gave her a shot of it. Kim

Awwwwww Marianne, so sorry this is happening

What I know about incontinence is the follwing.

First one needs to distinguish between neurological and non neurological incontinence. In the case of neurological incontinence there are most often other neurological symptoms such as parese or ataxia. If this is not the case then one has to differentiate between "unaware" and "aware" incontinence. The moment the dog is incontent and not assuming the peeing position, the incontinence is "unaware"..

In Peg's case it sounds like it is a non neurological, unaware incontinence.

The most common reasons for this type of incontinence are partial obstruction of the urinary tract caused for instance by stones or a tumor, incompetence of the sphincter mechanism (the muscle that closes the bladder) very common is spayed females of the larger breeds (and with a higher risk when they are overweigth) and with this type of incontinence it's "the rule" they leak especially while asleep or in a resting position (not while walking for example)

So all in all, it sounds as if Peg could be suffering from "old women's" incontinence

But this is really all I know about the subject. Your vet will be able to tell you a lot more tomorrow...

Wishing you all the best,

Sas and Mhina

Thanks so much, everybody, for your thoughts and well wishes. This has surely been a strange afternoon! After an hour of seemingly total incontinence, Peg has now been OK for the last couple of hours.

I got home from Petsmart with some diapers, but so far, I haven't needed to put them on. You are right, Sas, it did seem to be non-neurological, unaware leaking. But for the last couple of hours, I have been turning her outside frequently, where she has peed every time. Knock on wood, no more leaking inside the house for the time being. She has really been peeing up a storm ever since the vet visit, which I attributed to the injection. So maybe this incontinence is also connected, too -- some kind of delayed reaction. I guess we'll just have to see, especially overnight.

Thanks again for your replies,
    Marianne

Dearest Marianne,

I'm so sorry Peg is going through a rough patch, but glad it seems to have relieved a bit. I hope it was just one of those fluke things, and you can move on. And I know what you mean when you say "you are beside yourself" because your Peg has never done that since being a puppy. That's exactly how I felt when I woke up to Princess's pee on the carpet which sent us off to the cushings dx.

Please let us know how she gets on tonight. Feel better Peg.

With much love, xo Jeanette

Marianne,

Sorry to hear about this problem with Peg! And very glad that it seems to be subsiding on its own.

Jack was extremely sensitive to prednisone and even on a small dose he had to potty constantly - every half hour or so. And he leaked in his sleep as well.

Hope it was "just" a steroid injection.

Natalie

Hi Marianne,

I dont have much to add except it seems reasonable to link it to the shot Peg received.

I hope the vet can share some light on things this morning and that it is a temporary situation.

Hugs to you and Peg ((((Hugs))))))

love,
    addy

Well, thank goodness, no more leaking since that weird one-hour interval yesterday!! So for the time being, I'm going to assume it was the injection and just move onward.

Peg's paw also continues to improve, so that's a big relief, too. She is such a GOOD girl whenever it comes to treatment. She lets us put in eyedrops and eardrops, and has been so patient with the paw soaking. I put the solution in a plastic ziplock bag, and then get her to do a long sit/stay and put her paw inside the bag -- kind of like a plastic bootie. We have to leave it there for five minutes. If it was Luna, there's no way we could even get her paw in the baggie in the first place! But Peg is such a good girl. I hate it that she has had so many problems during this past year, she is such a sweetheart.

Hopefully, I can end up changing the title of this thread soon to something else much more pleasant!!

Marianne