Page 93 of 139 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: Trixie - Schnauzer being treated with Vetoryl - Trixie has crossed The Bridge

Default Re: almost diagnosed

I'm not sure, but I spoke with the internist about my concerns and she said they hadn't had any problems with it and that they were aware of the problems with some mycin medicines in the ear. As long as you don't use it when the drum is ruptured. If you do, then you can have problems.

I've read about zymox too. Maybe some of the others know something about it.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

I really like the Zymox Otic and has always worked really well for me and my clients pups. I believe Glynda also mentioned another great ear med or cleaner .. some kind of blue stuff. Give her a pm and ask.

We also recently just found an over the counter zymox, I am sure it's not as strong, but no Rx needed. I purchased a bottle to keep in the doggy medicine cabinet.
    John (Roxee & Rozee's Dad)

Hi Barbara,
    John mentioned an ear clearer that was recommended by Glynda. I use it for Rosie. She arrived with fleas, ticks and ear mites. The ear mites were treated, which left an infection. Anyway, all of it had to be cleaned out under anesthesia. That is when they spayed her too and realized she had allergies. She had a bubble of fluid in her ear. A few days of benedryl got rid if the bubble and finally cleared her ears. This was back when she was four months old. Glynda recommended an ear cleaner which I have been using since then, over four months now. A couple if drops per week is all that us needed to keep her ears dried out and infection free. It works like a charm. Rosie fights the drops. I can not approach her with a bottle, so I saturate a cotton ball and wipe out her ears with it, while squeezing a few drops into each ear canal. The name if the cleaner is Liquid Health K9 Ear Solutions Ear CleanerIt comes in a twelve ounce bottle and will last a long time. It is bright purple in color. It cost about $11. I purchased it from Amazon. You do not need a prescription.
    Kathy and Angel Buddy. The mightiest of all lizard hunters!

Hi Barbara:
    My vet is old fashioned and still uses Panalog. I have never looked anything up on it, but I will now that you brought this up. I know everyone said do not use anything with micin at the end of it. I am hoping you get this cleared up soon. I think it could have something to do with them cleaning her ears at the groomers too. Either that or maybe someone was not careful and got some water in her ear during her bath. No fun having an ear ache especially for a dog. I just looked up Panalog and it is a steroid that needs used sparingly so I too will be getting the ear drops suggested by Glynda. Blessings
    Patti
    Last edited by goldengirl88; 01-10-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks John, Kathy, Patti....I am not going to be using Mometamax...just too uncomfortable reading countless stories about dogs going deaf, and many according to their owners were checked for perforated ear drums and didn't have prior to using. Even if this is just a miniscule percentage of the people who have used the product it's still a chance and I won't take it.

Ever since this whole Cushing's chapter I have a different mentality about the vet. I am not bowled over by mine...it's been fine, okay, and the Cushings treatment is going well, but I never get "that certain feeling" like I have the best vet ever. I would like to feel that, especially in light of all the money it costs. Yesterday I did not see my usual guy, but one who I have seen before. She is very nice and warm to Trixie but when I questioned the deafness issue with this med I don't like the response I received. I will question things now, I won't just "do it" if it goes against my gut feeling. Also the vet I do see got a glimpse of us in the hallway but he didn't come out and ask how Trixie is...and why were we there!! That really bothers me! He was in the coffee room...he could have just called out to us to see what was doing, maybe wish a Happy New Year. These are the things that bother me...where's the courtesy and consideration..we are regulars, why no recognition? I don't think that's asking so much is it? How are you not interested in your patient!? I would be if I were a vet/doctor. Only one vet there is like that. I used to see her exclusively but once we were diagnosed I got the senior guy who knew Cushings best. If Trixie stays regulated for a few more months and those liver numbers come down, I may consider moving if I can find someone who is excellent and shows us consideration. Guess I'm asking for the moon!

Meanwhile she did get one dosage of the Mometamax yesterday and a good deep cleaning (charged for that too)-they did give (SELL) me what appears to be a good cleaning solution. So far today she does not seem bothered by her ear at all, no head shaking or scratching. I just did a cleaning and cotton came out fairly clean...yesterday was gunky. I ordered a bottle of Zymox Otic from Lambert along with our Cushings meds so it should be here in a couple days.
    You can only use it and it alone as both cleaner and enzyme medication for the bacteria/yeast. It comes hydrocortisone free too so that's what I got...no need adding any cortisone for us. It is highly recommended and now that John likes it too I like it even better.
    That's where we are. Of course this all kept me up last night...doesn't take much to start the worry machine going.
    I do believe she got this from the grooming....as if that doesn't cost enough I had to add this all to it!!

Barbara
    Last edited by Trixie; 01-10-2014 at 02:20 PM.

I know what you mean. Doesn't it all just drive you crazy sometimes? It does me. They should know you after all this time and it wouldn't hurt to say hello. sheezzz

I'm lucky in that my vet is the owner of the practice and no other vet there, but then again, I worry about her being as up as she should be on issues (the cushing diagnosis and starting her on 30mg of vetroyl right away) and not relying so much on "drug and company reps" .

I think I'm going to order the Zymox Otic too. Better to have it on hand.
    Sharlene and the late great diva - Molly muffin (always missed and never forgotten)

Bleeding heck that's expensive, your poor wallet! I agree with you a little "Hi, how's things going" would not have hurt. Especially when you are paying fee's like that. Sometimes I have come across medical people that do not have the best bedside manner but people put if with it if they are providing excellent care, but you do not have too if there are other options that make you feel more comfortable. Fingers crossed especially for the liver tests as I know you are worried about those Barbara. Pleased to hear Trixie's ear has improved with the treatment ! xx
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!

Barbara:
    Please go onto 1-800 Petmeds before giving Trixie the ear meds you have and see what some people said after using them. Could you try Zymox, it seemed to have good reviews and could not find anything bad about it. I also read and did not know this that it is imperative for a vet to make sure the dogs eardrum is intact before treating any ear infection, and that they should have a culture done to identify the exact bacteria so it can be treated properly. All antibiotics in the aminoglycicyde class can cause deafness especially Gentomycin. There were 2 herbs I found that are used for ears that are antimicrobial Verbascum Thapsus and Mohonia or Oregon Grape Root. Marshmallow root is good for staph, and Pseudomonas. I better get me something in the house as Tipper has had ear infections thru the years and this scares the crap out of me that they can go deaf.
    Last edited by goldengirl88; 01-10-2014 at 05:48 PM.
    Tipper and Tipper's Mom

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Patti- I have the Zymox Otic on the way...completely safe. I'm not using the dangerous one...too much risk. I posted above about it. I'm afraid to use it.

ON A HAPPY NOTE! The liver numbers went down!! Now-they are not all the way down and would still look crazy high to some. To me they look great because they didn't go up.

Nov. 6 Jan.10 norm
    ALKP: 1830 1506 5-131
    ALT: 215 185 12-118
    GGTP: 19 8 1-12

The vet just called....Friday night at 8pm. Had to thank her for that one...surprised they came back so fast and that she actually called to tell me so late on a Friday. Would love that alp to at least drop down to triple digits....but I'll take this improvement, and one number actually within the norm. Very happy for now.

Well that can go some way to restoring our faith after their non sympathetic treatment in the clinic! Nice of her to do that

Yippeee on the liver numbers Barbara, so good to see them come down!! Love it x
    Stop worrying about what can go wrong and start getting excited about what can go right!